RWC causes Xplane to crash

Moneytoe

hey folks,

im using RWC together with SMP3.1.2 and the NOAA plugin, it worked pretty well in the recent time, but out of nothing, toggling Always mode in RWC causes X-plane to freeze ("X-plane 10 doesn't react anymore" win standart bull... massage...) to exclude the problem was noaa i disabled it and even uninstalling did not help... I have no clue what to do next :? Help is appreciated :)

Btw can you give an number how much VRAM smp+rwc does take at full settings? i'm recently have my 4gb of vram full with smp enabled and disabled.. but i can't find a reason for this :? i have just standard scenery installed :/

Greetz

Edited by Moneytoe
using 3.1.2 not 3.1.1

Did you turn up the cloud draw area really high by any chance? Toggling "always" will make RWC get new weather and recreate all the clouds around you. If you draw area is large and there are lots of clouds in the area, this can take several seconds, and X-Plane will seem unresponsive during that time. If you're tight on VRAM, then you probably need to lower the cloud draw area setting. If memory is swapping, it could take even more than several seconds for that to complete (if it can at all)

I don't remember the VRAM usage at max settings in the currently released version of SMP, but I want to say it's around 500MB if you turn everything up all the way and fly into heavy cloud cover. There are some changes in the upcoming 3.2 update to reduce that figure further.

As for what's eating your VRAM even with SMP disabled and stock scenery - could be lots of things. A really high display resolution; high texture resolution settings; HDR mode's extra buffers; a demanding third-party aircraft... could even be some other application you have open in the background.

On 3.6.2016 at 11:49 AM, sundog said:

Did you turn up the cloud draw area really high by any chance? Toggling "always" will make RWC get new weather and recreate all the clouds around you. If you draw area is large and there are lots of clouds in the area, this can take several seconds, and X-Plane will seem unresponsive during that time. If you're tight on VRAM, then you probably need to lower the cloud draw area setting. If memory is swapping, it could take even more than several seconds for that to complete (if it can at all)

I don't remember the VRAM usage at max settings in the currently released version of SMP, but I want to say it's around 500MB if you turn everything up all the way and fly into heavy cloud cover. There are some changes in the upcoming 3.2 update to reduce that figure further.

As for what's eating your VRAM even with SMP disabled and stock scenery - could be lots of things. A really high display resolution; high texture resolution settings; HDR mode's extra buffers; a demanding third-party aircraft... could even be some other application you have open in the background.

hi, thx for your nice answer,

unlike your expectation, my draw resolution is rather low. (about 900) I get the same result when turning it down to min. and even with about 2.5 gig of free vram :? it also pops the "not reacting" massage instantaneously as if it runs into an endless loop which the OS recognizes... (only my personal figment ;)) is there something like a closer debug log i could create? :?

till then,

It would certainly help if you could provide your log.txt file after experiencing this. I'm not real sure what you're running into, to be honest. But the log file may shed some light on it.

There's a chance the free 3.2 upgrade, which is available now, could help too - it's worth a shot, anyhow.

hey,

I managed to get it running, but i have no clue why... I tried a workaround, (i changed nothing on my specs or system?!) by first downloading data through xp, then switching to always and then enabling noaa :? it works fine now, though the displayed weather doesn't look like real weather at all :/ if i get the failure aigan i will hand in my log :) anways, thanks very much for your help! great peace of art you made there,

bye,