Few questions regarding x plane

Dave23456

Hey folks,

I am coming from a long way with fsx and a little with P3D.

I have IXEG 737 and it's great, I am waiting for more complete product though, hopefully in the near future.

I have few things that are really bothering me regarding x plane.

1. although uhd mesh v3 is nice, it still lack a lot of things, for instance: yellowish or orange lands around places that supposed to be green and cover with trees. for example UK looks awful in that regard.

2. I understand x plane has only 1 season? any fix for that? is it going to stay that way? a lot of times the terrain lacks a lot of "fullness" which I really miss flying fsx. 

3. I really thought things like grass etc... would look better in x plane then fsx, but it doesn't. 

to conclude, I really don't want to compare fsx to Xplane, but some of the things in X plane making me wonder if it is ready enough for me to delete fsx from my pc for good. for now, I am not sure.

cheers!

1. If you want better ground textures in addition to uhd mesh you will need ortho photoscenery. Use uhd as your mesh, with ortho photo scenery on top of it. Then put World2Xplane on top of your photoscenery. Do this and you should have no further reason to go back to 32bit simulation again. Take a look at some of josjjgibbs twitch steams as an example of what your simulator could look like. Default ground textures are terriable in my opnion.

2. As for seasonal textures, I believe there's a company working on them at the moment. However I'm so impressed with w2xp and orthos that I really don't think that I can ever go back to default textures, even if they where seasonal. See SeasonsXP here http://maxx-xp.com/?page_id=23

3. I think this is dependent on the skill of the developer. Have you seen Richard Nunes's SBGL scenery?

X-Plane is in constant development. You should keep an eye on the X-Plane developers blog to see what's coming done the pipe. One of the most exciting things I'm looking forward to in 10.50 is better and more static aircraft models at default airports. The nice thing about X-Plane is the default airports are actually worthy of flying in and out of. KSEA and KATL are awesome just to name a few. Default airports are built by the community using a standardized set of tools and textures from Laminar.

Keep in mind you need a good computer to get the most out X-Plane 10. Here is a list of  specs to get the absolute best out of this great simulator.

I7 4970K or better

GTX 980 or better 4gb of VRAM is must, recommend Titan X with 12gb VRAM for the very best performance with the most autogen.

At least 16gb of RAM, recommended 32gb of RAM... don't be skimpy with this.

960gb or greater SSD for X-Plane and add-ons

460gb or greater SSD for uhd mesh

6tb WD black for all of your photo scenery. Add more WB Black drives as needed but 6tb should be more than enough to get you started. 16zl is sufficient. Anything more than that , you will have a lot of stutters as your HDD works to keep up with the sim. If you have the money then 6tb of SSD with 17zl or greater, but unless you're VFR flyer you want see much difference.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hadoken said:

1. If you want better ground textures in addition to uhd mesh you will need ortho photoscenery. Use uhd as your mesh, with ortho photo scenery on top of it. Then put World2Xplane on top of your photoscenery. Do this and you should have no further reason to go back to 32bit simulation again. Take a look at some of josjjgibbs twitch steams as an example of what your simulator could look like. Default ground textures are terriable in my opnion.

2. As for seasonal textures, I believe there's a company working on them at the moment. However I'm so impressed with w2xp and orthos that I really don't think that I can ever go back to default textures, even if they where seasonal. See SeasonsXP here http://maxx-xp.com/?page_id=23

3. I think this is dependent on the skill of the developer. Have you seen Richard Nunes's SBGL scenery?

X-Plane is in constant development. You should keep an eye on the X-Plane developers blog to see what's coming done the pipe. One of the most exciting things I'm looking forward to in 10.50 is better and more static aircraft models at default airports. The nice thing about X-Plane is the default airports are actually worthy of flying in and out of. KSEA and KATL are awesome just to name a few. Default airports are built by the community using a standardized set of tools and textures from Laminar.

Keep in mind you need a good computer to get the most out X-Plane 10. Here is a list of  specs to get the absolute best out of this great simulator.

I7 4970K or better

GTX 980 or better 4gb of VRAM is must, recommend Titan X with 12gb VRAM for the very best performance with the most autogen.

At least 16gb of RAM, recommended 32gb of RAM... don't be skimpy with this.

960gb or greater SSD for X-Plane and add-ons

460gb or greater SSD for uhd mesh

6tb WD black for all of your photo scenery. Add more WB Black drives as needed but 6tb should be more than enough to get you started. 16zl is sufficient. Anything more than that , you will have a lot of stutters as your HDD works to keep up with the sim. If you have the money then 6tb of SSD with 17zl or greater, but unless you're VFR flyer you want see much difference.

Thank you for answering, not quite sure what are orthos, any chance of explaining? how to get them? cheers!

Ortho is the photo scenery that sits below your autogen. Tony's w2xp is designed to work with photo scenery. For example your photo scenery is a 2d surface. While in the air that looks okay, on the ground or VFR it would not look very realistic. Tony's w2xp adds a 3d surface layer over the photo scenery using open street map data. Using the sat photo and w2xp you will have an accurate real world representation in your simulator. This is very similar to what you saw in your 32bit sim, if you have any experience with for example an Orbx region. The difference is that orthos plus w2xp is a very accurate representation of the real world. It's so accurate that you would be able to fly over your own house in the simulator. If the open street map data is good in your country, there will actually be a 3d model of your house in the simulator generated by w2xp. At the moment OSM data is the best in Europe, second best in the US. So if you fly a lot in either of these locations, your simulator is going to really shine.

Do a google search for x-plane orthos for the various tools to create orthos for x-plane.

Check out this video as an example of what ortho plus w2xp look like. Clearly you can see in this video it blows away anything in the 32bit sims. At the moment the w2xp developer has released several regional, and highly detailed areas. Norway, Massachutes, Great Britain, and a few others. Every continent is available, but as I said before OSM data in the global files may not be as good as for example Europe. In those areas you will not have much 3D generated over your 2D photo scenery.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hadoken said:

Ortho is the photo scenery that sits below your autogen. Tony's w2xp is designed to work with photo scenery. For example your photo scenery is a 2d surface. While in the air that looks okay, on the ground or VFR it would not look very realistic. Tony's w2xp adds a 3d surface layer over the photo scenery using open street map data. Using the sat photo and w2xp you will have an accurate real world representation in your simulator. This is very similar to what you saw in your 32bit sim, if you have any experience with for example an Orbx region. The difference is that orthos plus w2xp is a very accurate representation of the real world. It's so accurate that you would be able to fly over your own house in the simulator. If the open street map data is good in your country, there will actually be a 3d model of your house in the simulator generated by w2xp. At the moment OSM data is the best in Europe, second best in the US. So if you fly a lot in either of these locations, your simulator is going to really shine.

Do a google search for x-plane orthos for the various tools to create orthos for x-plane.

Check out this video as an example of what ortho plus w2xp look like. Clearly you can see in this video it blows away anything in the 32bit sims. At the moment the w2xp developer has released several regional, and highly detailed areas. Norway, Massachutes, Great Britain, and a few others. Every continent is available, but as I said before OSM data in the global files may not be as good as for example Europe. In those areas you will not have much 3D generated over your 2D photo scenery.

Thanks! that is so confusing, I have no Idea where to start lol... need time to read all that stuff.... cheers!

8 minutes ago, Dave23456 said:

Thanks! that is so confusing, I have no Idea where to start lol... need time to read all that stuff.... cheers!

I think the order is:

1st) Mesh -> UHD Mesh by AltpiloX

2nd) Ortho Photoscenery to be laid on top of the mesh.

3rd) World2X-Plane 3D scenery to be laid on top of the photoscenery (2D)

Obviously all of that info is still new for me. never seen that ortho4xp thing, still don't know how to use it. actually I have never seen someone mention it in any xplane video, from the video it looks absolutely awesome and a must have. more details about it would be awesome! cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to G2XPLane. A little gizmo (donationware) in which you can stop your flight, press a key, and it will literally download replacement photo scenery for the area you are flying over.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/59170-g2xpl-get-it-in-post-1/

If you have OSM (Open Street Map) installed, and W2XPlane (which provides buildings, trees etc), you'll get these kinds of results. (The added photo layer is the final piece to the illusion underneath). And don't worry, I was confused about this for months. Possibly still am! But I tell you it works and is amazing.

Edited by leinsters