Stabilizer trim runaway after takeoff

kyrre1978

Hello,

Today I did a regular flight. Shortly after takeoff, I was trimming a little to adjust for V2+15 (using the standard elevator trim button assignments in X-plane).

As I was trimming the nose down a little, the trim continued to work it's way all the way to the maximum nose down position. Shortly thereafter, the trim went crazy the other way around (full nose up). I tried to counteract with the assigned trim buttons on my CH yoke, but to no avail. In the end, I wasn't able to sustain control anymore, resulting in a stall (deep stall) and subsequent crash with mother earth :(. During the struggle, I also tried to move the trim wheels manually, but they refused to respond and continued towards full nose up. The only thing I didn't try, was to use the cutout switch on the TQ. I know this may be hard for you to reproduce, but I thought it might be useful for you to know anyway. Definetly not happened to me before! 

A short summary of my setup:

Route: ENAL - ENBR

Weather: FS Global Real Wx with Real Weather Connector and Skymaxx Pro V3.1.1

Other plugins installed: XUIPC

I'll try another go now.

On another flight, I also had a bird strike during taxi (causing a fire in engine 2). The rendering option to draw birds and deer during nice weather was turned on.

I shut the engine down, used the fire bottle and taxied back to the gate, then choose Gizmo reboot. After that, the right engine would not start, N2 just spiked at around 40%. Introducing fuel didn't help. I found out that restarting X-plane did the trick that time.

Best regards,

Kyrre Andersen

Hi and thanks for the report!

Could it be that you have "random failures" selected? I am not sure if "trim runaway" is a x-plane failure, but that is the only explanation I could think of.

For the engine fire - yes, that is a known limitation. You need to reload the .acf file to get that working again - the fire-handle cutting the fuel supply does not reset on gizmo-reboot. We will look into that.

Jan