Best XP10 Settings

jfim88

14 hours ago, Litjan said:

Correct - and usually a modern GPU is yawning and stretching it´s arms while rendering X-Plane - while the CPU is huffing and puffing. The whole simulator is still woefully CPU-bound, even though the team at Laminar has added a lot of stuff for the GPU to do (HDR, for example).

However XP10 is still pretty much a legacy, single-core-use simulator that will largely depend on your single-CPU performance in most cases.

When I upgraded from a GTX 770 to a 970 I have not gained a single frame per second...

Jan

Well i upgraded from a 970 to a 980ti and i haven't seen any FPS boost even with a 4790k@4.6 Ghz, hopefully i don't only play on xplane10. i still can't believe i'm CPu limited with that CPU. But why as the clouds density is increased, the GPU usage doesn't increase. they are rendered by the GPU but its usage is not increasing ie less FPS, I still don't get

As said before, going from clear sky conditions to a cloudy conditions, will result in the same GPU usage but less fps, BUT there are more things to render ( the clouds), why doesn't the GPU increases its workload ?

/Xplane10 rant on

I hope laminar will make XPlane 11 more multi core firendly because it will suck otherwise. I think that currently even P3DV2/V3 is more optmised (CPU usage > 75% and i was a video where someonne having A SLI with both GPU > 75%.

I remember that on p3DV2.3 I could have 30+ FPS with the PMDG B777 with clouds rendering up to 200 Km with ASN, Now with skymaxx, even with the slider at max, it looks like the clouds are rendered up to 30Nm which is less immersive, hopefully the IXEG B737 is here to make me happy on XPlane

/Xplane 10 rant over

Edited by cmbaviator

2 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

is there an anti aliasing setting in Xplane ?

Yes there is HDR anti-aliasing drop down menu in the rendering options or screen anti-aliasing if you don't use HDR. 

There are also settings in nvidia control panel, but I do not know to what extent they overtake x-plane's ones

2 minutes ago, Tchou said:

Yes there is HDR anti-aliasing drop down menu in the rendering options or screen anti-aliasing if you don't use HDR. 

There are also settings in nvidia control panel, but I do not know to what extent they overtake x-plane's ones

Ah Okay, i use the HDR one

Note that if you use full screen and set a screen size of the real display size you won't need a lot of antialiasing (it won't give a better image for the real loss of FPS). I have a 2560x1440 screen and I only apply basic anti-alias, every gauge is easily readable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan to get the GTX 1080 for the one reason of upping performance in X-Plane 10: save your money. I use GPUs professionally, so that's my reason. But the 1080 had to be tested in X-Plane too of course.

Basically no difference between my first gen GTX Titan and GTX 1080. Still the performance of about 30-35fps. I think my system is well over many of the more regular X-Plane users here, and.. Frankly.. I'm a bit disappointed it's not performing better on this rig. I feel sorry for those who upgrade for the sole reason of using it with X-Plane. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OlaHaldor said:

If you plan to get the GTX 1080 for the one reason of upping performance in X-Plane 10: save your money. I use GPUs professionally, so that's my reason. But the 1080 had to be tested in X-Plane too of course.

Basically no difference between my first gen GTX Titan and GTX 1080. Still the performance of about 30-35fps. I think my system is well over many of the more regular X-Plane users here, and.. Frankly.. I'm a bit disappointed it's not performing better on this rig. I feel sorry for those who upgrade for the sole reason of using it with X-Plane. 

X plane has been known to not scale as well just based on gpu's Compared to games like bf4, doom, gta 5 etc... 

But as someone like me, who has a gtx 760, the 1080 or 1070 would be a beefy upgrade for any sim/game

18 minutes ago, cfrankling said:

I will upgrade to a 1080 just for the fact that I could increase HDR to 8x SSAA+FXAA, just need someone to show results before I rob my wallet of $$$.

What gpu do you have now? Do you play any other game either than x-plane?  If you do, you'll see a performance increase. Also what cpu do you use?

7 minutes ago, poodster said:

What gpu do you have now? Do you play any other game either than x-plane?  If you do, you'll see a performance increase. Also what cpu do you use?

I currently have GTX970 and can only go as high as 2x HDR with out dropping from 30fms all around, I would really like to go 8x as XP looks fantastic at this setting. And yes I do play other games that would definitely benefit with the upgrade. 

CPU wise its a i7 3770k @ 4.5 with 32g of Ram

Edited by cfrankling

31 minutes ago, cfrankling said:

I currently have GTX970 and can only go as high as 2x HDR with out dropping from 30fms all around, I would really like to go 8x as XP looks fantastic at this setting. And yes I do play other games that would definitely benefit with the upgrade. 

CPU wise its a i7 3770k @ 4.5 with 32g of Ram

You should have much better fps with that rig unless you got some very demanding settings turned on. I can recommend following which gives me ~40 fps on my much worse pc (i5 3570k@4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR3@1600 MHz, GTX760 2GB) :

• Turn off threaded optimization in nvidia control panel
  • textures at very high (compressed)
  • world and airport detail distance medium
  • shadow 3d on aircraft
  • reflections none
  • cars siberia winter
  • objects tons, roads tons, trees overgrown
  • 50% clouds

These settings have probably the biggest fps impact for me. Also I don't use things like HD mesh, osm roads and RTH which eat fps quite a bit.

Just now, lanmancz said:

You should have much better fps with that rig unless you got some very demanding settings turned on. I can recommend following which gives me ~40 fps on my much worse pc (i5 3570k@4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR3@1600 MHz, GTX760 2GB) :

• Turn off threaded optimization in nvidia control panel
  • textures at very high (compressed)
  • world and airport detail distance medium
  • shadow 3d on aircraft
  • reflections none
  • cars siberia winter
  • objects tons, roads tons, trees overgrown
  • 50% clouds

These settings have probably the biggest fps impact for me. Also I don't use things like HD mesh, osm roads and RTH which eat fps quite a bit.

No problem with my fps, I have it locked at /12 of refresh (30) because of the screen tearing and for the smoother feel.

On 03/06/2016 at 10:46 PM, cfrankling said:

No problem with my fps, I have it locked at /12 of refresh (30) because of the screen tearing and for the smoother feel.

For me, this setting doesn't work any more in the latest Nvidia drivers. I set it to 1/2 refresh rate and I'm seeing 40fps at times. Also, some stutters especially over dense urban areas like central London, which suggests the threaded optimisation setting (off) is also being ignored. It doesn't matter whether I set it as an application-specific setting for X-Plane, or a global setting, it gets ignored.

I am also getting screen tearing in Youtube full screen as well, so I think Nvidia have royally messed up their latest drivers.

9 hours ago, captain_alligator said:

For me, this setting doesn't work any more in the latest Nvidia drivers. I set it to 1/2 refresh rate and I'm seeing 40fps at times. Also, some stutters especially over dense urban areas like central London, which suggests the threaded optimisation setting (off) is also being ignored. It doesn't matter whether I set it as an application-specific setting for X-Plane, or a global setting, it gets ignored.

I am also getting screen tearing in Youtube full screen as well, so I think Nvidia have royally messed up their latest drivers.

I'm on 364.72, these drivers work very well on my setup.

Captain,

I've not long upgraded from a 920DO to a 5820k setup, still using my R9 290x until i've a bit more in my coffers for maybe a 1080

I know overclocking is not for everyone, and some are scared of it, but, if you haven't already done so, a DO version especially can go pretty easy to 4ghz without breaking a sweat (mine was 4.5 under water solidly almost 24/7, she now lays in a box with all my previous cpu's/gpu's etc)

Maybe something to consider, especially as so much of x-plane 10 is using the cpu processing power

If you would like to oc and see the difference there's plenty of info out there

If you want a 1on1 about it i'd be glad to help (obviously i have no clue about your oc'ing pov)

The same goes for your 970, never had one but again, even a moderate oc on a gpu can bring a bit to the x-plane 10 table (so to speak)

Tony

Edited by Defiance_co
added text

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya's,

Just got a Palit Gtx 1080, running all at stock until i get to overclock her (lightly until waterblock arrives)

All x-plane settings maxed bar shadows which are on 3d aircraft

Holy Cow

Anyone wanna chuck some nvidia control panel settings my way is/are more than welcome to do so :)

Been used to ATI control panel etc for the last 7yrs so nvidia one is kinda different terminology

I will say, the auto gen on beta2 10.50 is staggering maxed out !

Cheers

Have Fun

Tony

Hi. Need some help. I just installed Xplane on a Windows machine using i7 and Gtx 1080 with 8gb vram.

As soon as I start it give a message 'X-Plane is totally out of memory.

Next time, turn down your rendering settings or remove add-ons to avoid this problem.

If you cannot restart X-Plane you may have to delete your preferences, in the Output folder.'

I was using it earlier on a Macbook with no gpu and never had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 10, 32 gm onboard ram, i7 6700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to ruin this hardware comparison thread, but (as usual) everyone's forgeting about one very important factor - RESOLUTION...
I could possibly run 1080p at 60fps most of the time, but my native 3440x1440 is halving the framerate.

Please remember to post the resolution you run the sim at when comparing.
1080p vs 4k is a whole different animal with the same hardware and X-Plane settings!

Edited by niebieski

gsuri,

You running W10 ??

You can strip down the latest driver easy enough, once you've done that, use DDU (uninstaller, extract eg: to desktop and once again as it's double wrapped)

Use windose uninstaller in control panel, remove all nvidia items

Use DDU, once you reboot into safe-mode with DDU, use the remove all driver options (top iirc)

When back in windose, use the stripped down driver, you won't get a control panel, so goto program file folder on OS drive ("X or C etc:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe") and make a shortcut from it to alter ctrl-panel settings

Quicker to google rest, see which nvidia items are running in the background (they shove some in even if you choose not to install lol) and best just to rename like xxxx_old (xxxx is name etc)

Iirc one is in sys32 folder and other maybe in prog folder (i had 2 on my rig to change)

This cuts all the crud running that i don't need (3d etc etc)

To make a stripped down driver, dl latest/your choice driver, extract using winrar/7zip etc, just keep these files for a driver install ............

Display.Driver (folder) + NV12 (folder) + PhysX (folder) + EULA.txt + license.txt + ListDevices.txt + setup.cfg + setup.exe (i don't need 3d or sound etc, but choose items suited to you)

If on W10, i suggest if you can live without it, google howto rename Cortana (you'll be doing yourself a favour lol)

Then, it's down to you to find what else you can stop auto running in the background

Now in my control panel i have messed with settings and still doing so, so no good me trying to give info yet, coming from the red corner after quite a few years i'm still getting to grips with nvidias settings

And also, a nephew has so much crud like steam/different messenger services running at startup it's not funny lol, anything like steam etc, turn off the 'start with windows etc' and only use when needed (sorry if this sounds easy but i don't know how well you are with startup items, so just throwing this out there)

And if you haven't got it, i would try MSI Afterburner, the info is great, and if you're into getting more fps well this is the tool for it (latest is a beta, works great)

Hope some of this might help, if in doubt ask

Tony

ps : Added 2 pics

My W10 Startup Crap.png

My W10 Background Crap.png

Edited by Defiance_co
added pics