Best XP10 Settings

jfim88

Hi guys! 

I use XP to fly helicopters in the past but always use FSX/P3D for airliners. 

Now i bought IXEG and i'm planning to use only XP. I am in the process of initial setup and plugins install. 
I have:
X-Camera
NOAA
Headshake
Gizmo

IXEG
HD Mesh V3

Plan to add Skymaxx Pro and Weather Connector. 

In hardware side:
i7 2600k @ 4,6Ghz
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX770 4GB
Dedicated OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Do you recommend to lock FPS? And to use Nvidia Inspector? I have latest Nvidia drivers. 

I'm testing a settings from another user in Avsim, with 1/2 refresh rate in NI and is very smooth. Is better to have more FPS or to lock to 30? Will post in-game setting to receive advice if i need to change any value and also NI settings.

Thanks

I have mine locked to 1/2 refresh rate also, and it's very smooth. 30fps is totally adequate for flying, but you might feel the need to unlock your fps when using TrackIR, as higher FPS values can give a more smooth/responsive feel to head movements with TrackIR.

That being said, I keep the 30 fps lock when using TrackIR from time to time and it's a.o.k. for me.

I'm testing now with SMP3 and Weather Connector with NOAA.

Solid 29-30FPS with IXEG and clouds and smooth like butter. Will continue testing.

What are the recommended setting for SMP?

Also i noted some fast changes in weather that sometimes produce one stutter when happens.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Locking to 1/2 of refresh is the way to go if you want total smoothness, having said that, I do not have trackir so I can't comment on it.

Regarding SMP and WC, I too have the 1-2 sec pause which brings down my FPS down to 5, have tried everything with no luck, hopefully this will be fixed in the future, if of course assuming the problem lies within the software and not within my hardware which I doubt as everything else runs buttery smooth, it may very well be XP itself. 

Edited by cfrankling

4 hours ago, Jeremy Carter said:

Switching Threaded optimization to OFF in Nvidia Control Panel eliminated stutters in my setup.

2 hours ago, cfrankling said:

Yes, threaded optimization needs to be off in NI, it only creates problems in OpenGL if left on or auto.

Amazing! Thanks guys! I didn't know this but it really helps A LOT !

Edited by lanmancz

I play on my desktop and laptop but need some setting advice as I have low GPU usage.

Laptop:

GSync
GTX980m@8gb VRAM
i7 6700 desktop
16Gb RAM
SSD

Desktop

4790K@4.6 Ghz
GTX980ti
16Gb RAM
SSD.

i have RWC and Skymaxx Pro but my my GPU is always <60%, i have disable all CPU intensive stuff like static shadows and no water quality.

I did a test.

clear sky : GPU : 55% => 55+ FPS

overcast: GPU: 55% => 30 FPS.

i don't understand why my GPU usage is nor increasing when they are no clouds... Doesn't make any sens

2 hours ago, cmbaviator said:

I play on my desktop and laptop but need some setting advice as I have low GPU usage.

Laptop:

GSync
GTX980m@8gb VRAM
i7 6700 desktop
16Gb RAM
SSD

Desktop

4790K@4.6 Ghz
GTX980ti
16Gb RAM
SSD.

i have RWC and Skymaxx Pro but my my GPU is always <60%, i have disable all CPU intensive stuff like static shadows and no water quality.

I did a test.

clear sky : GPU : 55% => 55+ FPS

overcast: GPU: 55% => 30 FPS.

i don't understand why my GPU usage is nor increasing when they are no clouds... Doesn't make any sens

Clouds, Shadows, objects, car traffic, etc. are all calculated by the CPU in X-Plane - not GPU.

Jan

6 hours ago, Tchou said:

Not rendered, calculated, then the rendering is done by gpu. 

Correct - and usually a modern GPU is yawning and stretching it´s arms while rendering X-Plane - while the CPU is huffing and puffing. The whole simulator is still woefully CPU-bound, even though the team at Laminar has added a lot of stuff for the GPU to do (HDR, for example).

However XP10 is still pretty much a legacy, single-core-use simulator that will largely depend on your single-CPU performance in most cases.

When I upgraded from a GTX 770 to a 970 I have not gained a single frame per second...

Jan

18 minutes ago, Litjan said:

Correct - and usually a modern GPU is yawning and stretching it´s arms while rendering X-Plane - while the CPU is huffing and puffing. The whole simulator is still woefully CPU-bound, even though the team at Laminar has added a lot of stuff for the GPU to do (HDR, for example).

However XP10 is still pretty much a legacy, single-core-use simulator that will largely depend on your single-CPU performance in most cases.

When I upgraded from a GTX 770 to a 970 I have not gained a single frame per second...

Jan

So this is good news : We XPLANE-users should not be tempted to buy the new GTX 1080 at the first day. ..

7 minutes ago, DocBird said:

So this is good news : We XPLANE-users should not be tempted to buy the new GTX 1080 at the first day. ..

I'll be the one buying the new gtx 1080 when the custom boards come out. I have a gtx 760 2gb of vram. The 1080 will be a huge step up and incrase the frames a lot lol

25 minutes ago, Tchou said:

Gsync will do nothing about jaggies, jaggies are solved with anti aliasing.

Gsync solves tearing issues the same as Vsync except the frequency is not fixed. freesync does the same (but not bind to nvidia). 

is there an anti aliasing setting in Xplane ?

14 hours ago, DocBird said:

that's right mate, i went from  a gtx 970 to a GTX 980ti and no FPS gains, hopefully I don't play only on Xplane10... and I have a 4790k@4.6 Ghz which is the second best CPU for gaming so even with that CPU, there is no point having a GPU above the 970. However the 1070 is good choice if you have to upgrade as it is a cheap as a GTX970 but with thye 980ti performance and over 6Gb of VRAM.