Howard DGA-15P 1.0.0 1.0.0

2 Screenshots

About This File

The enclosed X-Plane 11.50 model is of the historic GA aircraft, the Howard DGA-15P. The model began life as a freeware FS98-FSX model shell which I converted to the 3D modelling program, AC3D, and completely overhauled and rebuilt for X-Plane 11 over the last four or five months. Please see the enclosed "credits.txt" file for details.

The model has been tested in X-Plane 11.50 and 11.51 (but not with the experimental flight model). This is version 1.0 with many improvements and small fixes planned for the future (e.g., the 3D Wasp Jr. is only half done). But it handles very well and looks pretty nice for the most part. My real interest in model development is in 3D panels and custom instruments with nearly a dozen provided here to match the real-world Howard DGA-15P (though because these 80+ year old aircraft are restored there is a *lot* of variety in instruments today). The radios are loosely modeled on the Becker RMU-5000, but I may put in a Garmin 530 or make some sort of moving map in the future. I also plan to release a "paint kit" for this model in the future, and I would be happy to work with a painter to show him or her what goes where. The interior in particular is very plain and shows the need for an expert painter to help out if anyone is willing.

This aircraft is released as FREEWARE. No commercial use of these files is permitted, but they may be distributed and changed for non-commercial use as long as credit to the original authors is provided. And a special thanks to Pedrovl on the X-Plane.org forum for help with a fuel pressure problem caused by the three in-line fuel tanks which I never would have figured out myself.

The Howard DGA-15P is the most common variant of the Howard aircraft still flying. It was built commercially beginning in 1936 the year after the designer, Benny Howard's "Mister Mulligan" won both the Bendix and Thompson trophies for speed and endurance--the only plane ever to do this. The DGA (" Good Airplane")-15P variants today are mostly restored military variants from WWII (e.g., U.S. Navy GH-1 to GH-4 used as air ambulances, personel transport, and instrument training).

The Howard is well-known to be a fast, comfortable aircraft that is somewhat hard to land but very stable in the air in part because the gas tanks are low in the belly, and has an enthusiastic following (e.g., www.howardaircraft.org). It has been said that if the DHC-2 Beaver is a great pick-up truck, the Howard is a stately old Buick. There are a few dozen or more youtube videos of the Howard in flight including one where the pilot does a barrel roll. (I don't recommend it on the model--it breaks the artificial horizon--don't ask me how I know!).

Specifications:

Powerplant: 450 hp Pratt & Whitney R-985 Wasp Junior
Length: 25 ft
Wingspan: 38 ft
Empty weight: 2,705 lb
Useful load: 1,645 lb
Max gross weight: 4,350 lb
Max speed at MSL: 195 mph (sources vary from 190 to 201 mph)
   (MP 36.5 in.; prop. 2300 rpm)

Climb: 1200-1500 fpm (MP 30 in.; prop. 2000 rpm)
Average cruise speed: 160 mph indicated (MP 28 in.; prop. 1850 rpm)
Never exceed speed: 270 mph
Landing speed: 78 mph
Stall speed: around 65 mph
Service Ceiling: 21,000 ft
Fuel capacity in three belly tanks: 151 gal
  Front 30 gal
  Main  88 gal
  Rear  33 gal
Range: about 1,000 nm

tell me other planes you want me to download my next plane will be coming tomorrow its going to be a CRJ 900 after that the next day a CRJXNG

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

So, I see this Howard offered as freeware and think to myself, Gee, I wonder how badly they trashed up this venerable airplane. I downloaded it and pretty much expected a digital insult to Benny Howard. Boy, was I wrong!  For freeware, this is one awesome representation of the Howard DGA 15-P.  It flies great and the instrumentation is nearly spot on.  You have to watch airspeed on takeoffs & landings, monitor oil temps, manifold pressure - the works.

Okay, right rudder input on takeoff Howard DGA-15on the real airplane probably requires more aggressive input, and ground handling may not be a perfect representation, and the interior detailing may not be at the highest level, so, it is not what you would call "study level."  But I would highly recommend this download to anyone who wants to learn "taildragging."  The panel looks great and the audio is quite impressive. The flight characteristics have been superbly modeled. This is no clunky freeware.  The exterior of this aircraft looks gorgeous - so much fun to watch replays.

Just download and see for yourself. This is a fun one! Aviation Aircraft has done this one up very nicely.