Low stratus clouds don't work

mr_happyland

I've been using X-plane for awhile but new to SkyMaxx Pro. I have v2.1 and I'm running into a problem. I want a low stratus cloud layer to practice IFR approaches. When I do this, the cloud layer will never go down to the base level that I set...in fact it is only a very thin layer at a height that doesn't correspond to either the tops or bases that I set . The only fix is by disabling the SilverLining plugin...but doesn't that just take it back to standard X-Plane clouds?

I've attached a image showing the thin layer when I've set the clouds to be a couple thousand feet thick.

Cumulus clouds seem to work correctly, but I want to use a thick stratus layer where I can't see the runway lights.

Thx,

Bryan

post-20787-0-69402600-1416980215_thumb.p

It's the same here.

From my understanding this is just the way Skymaxx "represents" stratus overcast right now (and has ever been).

The Skymaxx overcast quality setting does affect the cumulus overcast quality, at least on my install.

If I'm wrong I would be happy.

Flo

I noticed that you turned up the cloud detail and draw distance almost all the way, and you have overcast quality set to high. I would guess that Skymaxx Pro simply ran out of VRAM while trying to create the amount of cloud puffs those settings would require, and gave up.

Try hitting the "reset" button on the SkyMaxx Pro configuration, set the overcast quality to "medium," and see if that works better for you. It should result in a dense layer of puffy clouds at the base altitude specified for the cloud layer in MSL.

It's the same here.

From my understanding this is just the way Skymaxx "represents" stratus overcast right now (and has ever been).

The Skymaxx overcast quality setting does affect the cumulus overcast quality, at least on my install.

If I'm wrong I would be happy.

Flo

If we're talking about how it looks on "low" overcast quality, yes. We represent low-quality stratus clouds as a single plane (the geometric kind) in the middle of the layer. We're forced into that because of inconsistencies in X-Plane's visibility effects and the base and ceiling they publish to us for the cloud. "Medium" and "high" represent these clouds in a volumetric technique that gives them some real thickness at least.

But, I think this particular user's problem is that "high" quality isn't working due to cranked up settings and low available VRAM, as described above.

We represent low-quality stratus clouds as a single plane (the geometric kind) in the middle of the layer. We're forced into that because of inconsistencies in X-Plane's visibility effects and the base and ceiling they publish to us for the cloud.

Exactly that, by the way, is the reason why SkyMaxx Pro has such a big performance boost for me and my slow computer. I often can't run default clouds in overcast conditions, but with SkyMaxx Pro "low" settings I can. So, even though it does not look that beautiful visually, please keep at least an option for this mode ... until I have a new PC some day in 2015...

Thanks for the input so far. I originally had the settings on low when I had that problem so I increased to "high" to see if that helped. I have now tried the medium setting and it's doing the same thing still. I'm running this on a Mac Pro 3.33 6-core, 12 GB ram, 1024 MB VRAM.

post-20787-0-13404700-1417024956_thumb.p

post-20787-0-29454200-1417024970_thumb.p

Edited by mr_happyland

1Gb VRAM is quite low for XP10. What resolution for the monitor? I think therein lies a good portion of your problem.

Hmm. Look at the attached pic. I changed my resolution settings from 1920x1080 to 1280x960 and changed texture resolution to normal and restarted. Render options say total size of loaded textures is 147 meg. Still getting the same issue with the stratus clouds. SkyMaxx settings are set to medium overcast. Same as before...when I uncheck SilverLining clouds come back....but isn't that the original X plane cloud?

post-20787-0-03837800-1417037424_thumb.p

post-20787-0-45769000-1417037434_thumb.p

I certainly appreciate your suggestions...but I can't see lack of VRAM being the problem in my last example....and it's showing the exact same issue as when I have it at full rez. Clouds work great when they are cumulus, by the way....just not the stratus. Problem with using cumulus is the clouds don't get thick enough to look like a solid cloud deck. 

I think I finally understand what you're seeing. If you set up "stratus" clouds, then you'll get that flat, infinitely thin cloud no matter what. "Overcast" is probably what you really want - that will give you volumetric clouds if you have the overcast quality set to medium or high.

I forgot that "stratus" was a different setting from "overcast" in the X-Plane weather settings, and they are treated differently by SkyMaxx Pro. Maybe they shouldn't be.

Edited by sundog

Yes! That is what's happening. OK...so basically when using SkyMaxx only use the cumulus settings if I want to fly thru that layer.

It would be nice in the future to have stratus clouds or a way to make "less puffy" and more opaque cumulus cloud layers. As it is now, I can always see runway lights thru the clouds even if I'm 5 miles out.

That said, these clouds are such a big improvement over the original. Thx!!!

Happy Turkey Day.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Way you lock My Topic? At least do you have See My video? You should answer instead of lock Topic. .. i just want to know what People think of My problem

Hello, i buy this add on yesterday

with few cloud is fantastic but, if i set up stratus or lot of cumulus the effect is really bad, a lot worse than default cloud... how it's possible?

here, i do a video of what i'm saying

p.s.

the refresh error is fraps, i don't have it in game

just see, fog and no visibility with normal clouds, long visibility when i activate skymaxx, after no visibility without skymax..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gySIktjOGuo

my hardware is ok, the low fps you see is caused by fraps, and cause i was over london with w2xp hd, in the video overcast are set to mid, but i tried high setting without difference, NO fog at all when im at low altitude

yesterday iv tried all option for 1 hour, i simply can't have the fog and low visibility like default cloud, how it's possible?

i also tried to put cloud distance to maximum and to minumum, nothing happend

i just want to have the default fog effect with your cloud... it's impossible?

as far as, in normal condition your addon is fantastic, with few cloud is awnsome effect, but we need to fix the overcast, if i put stratus to 0 altitude i must see fog everywhere, like default cloud, don't you think?

Edited by Viper04