X-Plane 10 Coming To Steam in 10 DAYS!

HarryCYUL

So.. um.. Is there a plan for those of us who purchased on DVD to get a Steam key to activate there? That would be awesome. If not, I won't be purchasing it again just to get it on Steam.

Serious question:  if you already have it on DVD, what would be the point or benefit of playing it on Steam?  

Edited by ointment

1. Not needing the DVD just to run the simulator.

Always have an up to date simulator without giving it a thought.

Be able to download and install on other computers, if I'm say, at a friends house hours away who'd like to know what it's about, without me bringing the big bad computer case with me on the train. Or plane..

Chat in-sim with other pilots a heck of a lot easier than now.

In the long run, perhaps this will make for a GOOD and reliable way of "multi player" without the need for 3rd party tools, port forwarding and sharing IP addresses.

Edited by OlaHaldor

So.. um.. Is there a plan for those of us who purchased on DVD to get a Steam key to activate there? That would be awesome. If not, I won't be purchasing it again just to get it on Steam.

Stop and consider the logistics of this for a minute...

Multiple third party X-P vendors, all with different data disclosure policies and laws that may completely prevent any sharing of customer details with Laminar.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of existing customers...

And probably a steam purchase percentage slice to pay Valve to take into account as well...

I don`t need a DVD in the tray with my USB key. As for STEAM, its a deadly infection that will never invade another one of my Computers.

And if X-Plane begins to require Steam to update, Its over. Been an active X-Plane user since Nov. 99. Will never submit to STEAM again.

But you already have X-Plane, so whats the problem? Nobody is forcing you to use Steam, its just another option that opens the door to a huge audience of potential customers. Most of whom, like myself, do not have a problem with Steam

Edited by Yidahoo

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is wrong with Steam?

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. Any downloading method might not be the ideal distribution vehicle for a game which spans 8 dual-layer DVDs, but its otherwise just fine. Never had any issues with it or the titles I've purchased via Steam.

From an X-Plane perspective, I'd expect Steam to bring in lots of newbies, which historically has tested the patience of various forums and help communities. It will be interesting to see how it goes. In the end I can't imagine it being anything but a positive for the platform, however it won't be without it's bumps and dust-ups.

-Greg

Hi Guys,

To answer a few question:

- No, you don't get a free Steam license if you own the DVDs.  (Please note that with DVDs, they don't have to be in the tray all the time - we only check for the DVD every few days.)  It is not my expectation that anyone would "repurchase" the product.

- As of this time, our plan is to update steam with final versions but not betas, so if you need to run a full version of the beta, you should probably stick with DVD or USB.

- The update experience for non-beta users should be VERY similar between steam and LR's own update: you get an auto-updated pushed to you when a full release version is available.  So both DVD and Steam customers will get all of the free updates for the entire v10 version run.

- The steam product is the same as X-Plane 10  global on DVD - the whole sim, the whole world, and you install what you want.  (For Steam, I think you'll be able to download regions later or separately, and for the DVD we've had add/remove scenery and the option to NOT install everything up front for a logn time.)  The pricing should be similar.

- My understanding is that third party add-ons can be installed into the Steam version just like the DVD version - just drag a scenery pack, aircraft folder, or plugin folder into the right place.  For both Steam and DVDs, third parties have to roll their own DRM if they want copy protection; the sim's copy protection is not available to third parties.

cheers

Ben

• Upvote 2

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. Any downloading method might not be the ideal distribution vehicle for a game which spans 8 dual-layer DVDs, but its otherwise just fine. Never had any issues with it or the titles I've purchased via Steam.

From an X-Plane perspective, I'd expect Steam to bring in lots of newbies, which historically has tested the patience of various forums and help communities. It will be interesting to see how it goes. In the end I can't imagine it being anything but a positive for the platform, however it won't be without it's bumps and dust-ups.

-Greg

Haha XP forums and the patience of some of their users are tested regularly without steam.

Hi Guys,

To answer a few question:

- No, you don't get a free Steam license if you own the DVDs.  (Please note that with DVDs, they don't have to be in the tray all the time - we only check for the DVD every few days.)  It is not my expectation that anyone would "repurchase" the product.

Thanks for clarifying that. So what price range are we talking about for the Steam release then?

Obviously v10 has been around for a while, so long-term upgrade path needs to be considered as the free updates will probably end when v11 comes along.

I realize that nobody is going to want to promise too much in writing, but will Steam purchasers get the same basic treatment as DVD purchasers when it comes to upgrade pricing/etc (assuming there is any)?  I'm not sure if Steam has a way to handle upgrade vs full sales.

Again, I realize that nobody can promise when v10 will end, whether there will be upgrade pricing, who qualifies for it, etc.  I'm mainly just looking for intent to support Steam equivalently.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is wrong with Steam?

I have no problem with X-Plane on Steam, but with all shooters and other games with a bad morale. To prevent our family from aggressive games we use an internet-filter. And that filter blocks Steam because with their site it is all or nothing. In our case: nothing. Thats why I hope X-Plane will also be available on the traditional way.

Edited by wim1976

Obviously v10 has been around for a while, so long-term upgrade path needs to be considered as the free updates will probably end when v11 comes along.

I realize that nobody is going to want to promise too much in writing, but will Steam purchasers get the same basic treatment as DVD purchasers when it comes to upgrade pricing/etc (assuming there is any)?  I'm not sure if Steam has a way to handle upgrade vs full sales.

Again, I realize that nobody can promise when v10 will end, whether there will be upgrade pricing, who qualifies for it, etc.  I'm mainly just looking for intent to support Steam equivalently.

I have no problem with X-Plane on Steam, but with all shooters and other games with a bad morale. To prevent our family from aggressive games we use an internet-filter. And that filter blocks Steam because with their site it is all or nothing. In our case: nothing. Thats why I hope X-Plane will also be available on the traditional way.

You guys really need to read the entire thread… the answers are available…see post #16 from Ben Supnik.

You guys really need to read the entire thread… the answers are available…see post #16 from Ben Supnik.

I read it before I replied.  Post #16 makes no mention of upgrade pricing - only that all updates to v10 would be free.  I was referring to any preferential pricing when upgrading to v11, assuming there is any.

That is, if one customer buys X-Plane v10 on Aug 1st on DVD, and another buys it on Steam, and v11 comes out, would they both have the same pricing to upgrade to v11?  I appreciate that nobody can say when that will be, or what customers will qualify for upgrade pricing (maybe only those ordering v10 after a certain date), but I just want to understand if Steam will get the same treatment.

I don't think I've ever seen upgrade pricing on Steam, so I wasn't sure if their store supported this.  

Otherwise, I consider Steam a major convenience!

That is, if one customer buys X-Plane v10 on Aug 1st on DVD, and another buys it on Steam, and v11 comes out, would they both have the same pricing to upgrade to v11?  I appreciate that nobody can say when that will be, or what customers will qualify for upgrade pricing (maybe only those ordering v10 after a certain date), but I just want to understand if Steam will get the same treatment.

I'm not Austin or Ben Supnik but... there will not be any kind upgrade from v10. As was not such thing from v9 to v10.