#41 Kaphias

Kaphias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

When the largest tech companies can be brought to their knees by an overly large response, I can not fault Laminar for what is happening today--my guess is that you are not in the computer/internet industry. I don't mean this as a slight.

No, I'm not in the computer/internet industry. Still, I blame the team for the slow speeds, as there is really no one else's fault it can be. The least I can do- and what I am doing- is understand that upgrading to servers that would be able to handle the load seen today is out of their reach, and their money is better spent elsewhere. That said, if these kind of speeds are what new users who aren't used to the X-Plane business model will be faced with during updates, etc., then I couldn't blame some of them for turning away.

I am using Transmission. what I did was first run a speed test to find my current UL speed. I then went to: http://infinite-sour...az/az-calc.html to determine the proper settings. It was still slow until I found an advanced setting that drastically increased the number of peers (I went from 60 to 500.) Many of these were 100% complete which took me from 4-5 complete seeders to over 100

So more peers is better, eh? I need to learn more about torrents I guess. :P

#42 Dozer

Dozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

Yep, that's the nature of peer-to-peer filesharing. The more people you can get data from at 5kb/s or so each, the faster you'll get the whole file.

About the position of XP10 in the civil sim marketplace - what competitors does it have? The MSFS franchise is dead, despite the host of users and 3rd party devs happily living in its hollowed-out carcass - it cannot become better than it already is. Take On Helicopters is not really the same thing. What else is out there?

-

#43 Simmo W

Simmo W

I now hate my Android phone!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Prepar3d is meant to carry on from where microsoft left fsx. Some talk of future improvements. Orbx have declared an alliance with them. If you've seen my blog post on how incredible xp10 is, you'll know my opinion of its future! No comparison. You won't need orbx. And our planes are better already :-)

#44 Nouknitouk

Nouknitouk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

I am not happy

Hello and good morning everyone

X-plane 10 demo was downloading last night while flying a couple legs from the Caribean tour. Once downloaded, I realized that no installation was required, which is cool. SO I launch the thing.
Now, before I go any further, let me provide you with the specs of my computer: :( :( :( :(

- Intel i7 core
- 24 Gb of RAM (yes, 24)
- ATI Radeon HD5870

With almost everything turned on to medium and high in X-plane 9, I get easily 40 fps. In X-plane 10, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to NOT have a slideshow. OK, I don't understand how people can actually run the sim. I had to turn down the texture res to Medium. With BLUE SKIES, I can NEVER get more than 18 fps, with settings at medium-low, and with HDR, which does not seem to affect a lot at the FPS level, which is good news. Shadowing is horrible. I tried every setting, and again, removing the shadowing, I gained about 1-2 fps. TRees to sparse, AIrport detail and all other settings to default.

"what the hell" is what I'm thinking. I was reading the posts on the internet on the X_plane developer blog, and they said many times that if good performance on X-plane 9, then X-plane 10 would be similar or even better!!!!

Let's just say that, to even REACH 20 fps, I had to remove traffic completely, and set everything to blue skies.
Setting clouds in there, I go below the mark of 10 fps.
I just don't get it.
I tried different resolution, because I thought that maybe my three monitors configuration was the problem, so I set it to 1 monitor in 1980x1080-16 bit. Same thing. Gainned about 1 fps overall.

I am REAAALLY Disapointed.

Now, I have not updated my display drivers for a looooong time, but I can't believe that this could actually be the solution. How would display drivers suddently give me the missing 20fps to reach 30fps ?

OH I forgot to mention something, this is not even in KSEA, this is at a nearby airport in the coutry side near KSEA, cause KSEA... forget it. Slideshow. and there are bugs all over the thing.

I flew over the coutry side.. there are houses line up in the middle of the forest... with no roads (I"ll take screengrabs when I can). Weather looks good....but to me, it is unusable the sun looks amazing when it reflects in the water.

I will update my display drivers tonight and report back. In the meantime, id be interested to see what people have been getting as fps, WITH and WITHOUT HDR enabled. OK guys, If you are going to run XP-10 without clouds and without HDR... might as well stay with XP9 ???? that's what I think.

Slideshow, even with a new system so they better improve...
I don't even want to think of using the CRJ at the moment.

Thank you and most importantly... good luck ???

here's the post I'm referring to, only 2 months old, and with the same card that I have:
the performance he states are definitely far from what I am getting:
http://www.x-plane.c...-and-gpu-power/

Patrick

Edited by Nouknitouk, 25 November 2011 - 07:08 AM.

• Like x 2
  • List

#45 Goran_M

Goran_M

Advanced Member

• Leading Edge
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

I am not happy

Hello and good morning everyone

X-plane 10 demo was downloading last night while flying a couple legs from the Caribean tour. Once downloaded, I realized that no installation was required, which is cool. SO I launch the thing.
Now, before I go any further, let me provide you with the specs of my computer: :( :( :( :(

- Intel i7 core
- 24 Gb of RAM (yes, 24)
- ATI Radeon HD5870

With almost everything turned on to medium and high in X-plane 9, I get easily 40 fps. In X-plane 10, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to NOT have a slideshow. OK, I don't understand how people can actually run the sim. I had to turn down the texture res to Medium. With BLUE SKIES, I can NEVER get more than 18 fps, with settings at medium-low, and with HDR, which does not seem to affect a lot at the FPS level, which is good news. Shadowing is horrible. I tried every setting, and again, removing the shadowing, I gained about 1-2 fps. TRees to sparse, AIrport detail and all other settings to default.

"what the hell" is what I'm thinking. I was reading the posts on the internet on the X_plane developer blog, and they said many times that if good performance on X-plane 9, then X-plane 10 would be similar or even better!!!!

Let's just say that, to even REACH 20 fps, I had to remove traffic completely, and set everything to blue skies.
Setting clouds in there, I go below the mark of 10 fps.
I just don't get it.
I tried different resolution, because I thought that maybe my three monitors configuration was the problem, so I set it to 1 monitor in 1980x1080-16 bit. Same thing. Gainned about 1 fps overall.

I am REAAALLY Disapointed.

Now, I have not updated my display drivers for a looooong time, but I can't believe that this could actually be the solution. How would display drivers suddently give me the missing 20fps to reach 30fps ?

OH I forgot to mention something, this is not even in KSEA, this is at a nearby airport in the coutry side near KSEA, cause KSEA... forget it. Slideshow. and there are bugs all over the thing.

I flew over the coutry side.. there are houses line up in the middle of the forest... with no roads (I"ll take screengrabs when I can). Weather looks good....but to me, it is unusable the sun looks amazing when it reflects in the water.

I will update my display drivers tonight and report back. In the meantime, id be interested to see what people have been getting as fps, WITH and WITHOUT HDR enabled. OK guys, If you are going to run XP-10 without clouds and without HDR... might as well stay with XP9 ???? that's what I think.

Slideshow, even with a new system so they better improve...
I don't even want to think of using the CRJ at the moment.

Thank you and most importantly... good luck ???

here's the post I'm referring to, only 2 months old, and with the same card that I have:
the performance he states are definitely far from what I am getting:
http://www.x-plane.c...-and-gpu-power/

Patrick

Patrick,
Can you post a screenshot of your in-sim settings so we can get a better idea of what we're looking at.

Visit our Facebook Page

#46 meshboy

meshboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

something must be wrong, i have an i7 920 and an old 8800gtx and by default i get 20-40fps. if i fly high sky with no cloud i get 50-100fps...
i think the 3d cloud is hard on the fps. if i use over 40% of detail i get a slideshow. but it looks great under 40% though...

#47 falloutgamer65

falloutgamer65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I have just had my first experience with X-plane 10. I actually got really good performance. Without turning much down and using the Cessna 172, i was able to 30-60fps easily. with the 747 i was getting around 25-30fps. System: AMD Phenom 1090t x6 3.2Ghz, W7, 8GB RAM, GTX 560 Ti OC.

#48 Nouknitouk

Nouknitouk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I will as soon as I'm back home

I recall the following settings as I played with them for more than 30 minutes.

Texture Resolution: High
Resolution: 1920x1080x16 bit

- HDR: Enabled with FXAA 4X
- Atmospheric Scattering: Enabled.
- Anisotropic filtering: 16X (but tried different settings , even none... did not make a difference on the fps)
- Anti-Aliasing: 16X
- Shadowing: tried, Static, Global Low, and 3D Aircraft. (By the way, there is no explanation in the demo as to what do those settings means)
- Trees: Sparse
- Road Traffic: Siberia Winter
- Airport Detail: Default
- Number of OBjects: Default
- Water reflection: Complete (tried different settings but, did not really affect the fps)
- Clouds were about 50% of each settings, which were default. However, I had to set to blue skies or put those to zero to be able to get more than 10 fps, in the country-side. I don't even want to think about KSEA
- Compress VRAM to save textures: Enabled
- 3D Bump Maps: Enabled or not enabled did not make a difference
- Volumetric Fog: Enabled
- Other Aircrafts: 0

That's all I can remember. I would like to have more time playing with the settings, but obviously something is wrong as I could set more things to HIGH or even EXTREME HIGH in X-plane 9 no problem, at a resolution of 3840x1024 (3 monitors).

The more I think, the more I believe it might be my display drivers. The shadowing was really staggered, as if the anti-aliasing was set to MINUS 4x lol. Anyway guys, sorry about the rant this morning. I've seen many BEAUTIFUL videos of X-plane 10. I just don't see how they could have been taken so smoothly. Maybe iMAC do makes a huge difference.

I'm depressed :(

#49 Goran_M

Goran_M

Advanced Member

• Leading Edge
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

I will as soon as I'm back home

I recall the following settings as I played with them for more than 30 minutes.

Texture Resolution: High
Resolution: 1920x1080x16 bit

- HDR: Enabled with FXAA 4X
- Atmospheric Scattering: Enabled.
- Anisotropic filtering: 16X (but tried different settings , even none... did not make a difference on the fps)
- Anti-Aliasing: 16X
- Shadowing: tried, Static, Global Low, and 3D Aircraft. (By the way, there is no explanation in the demo as to what do those settings means)
- Trees: Sparse
- Road Traffic: Siberia Winter
- Airport Detail: Default
- Number of OBjects: Default
- Water reflection: Complete (tried different settings but, did not really affect the fps)
- Clouds were about 50% of each settings, which were default. However, I had to set to blue skies or put those to zero to be able to get more than 10 fps, in the country-side. I don't even want to think about KSEA
- Compress VRAM to save textures: Enabled
- 3D Bump Maps: Enabled or not enabled did not make a difference
- Volumetric Fog: Enabled
- Other Aircrafts: 0

That's all I can remember. I would like to have more time playing with the settings, but obviously something is wrong as I could set more things to HIGH or even EXTREME HIGH in X-plane 9 no problem, at a resolution of 3840x1024 (3 monitors).

The more I think, the more I believe it might be my display drivers. The shadowing was really staggered, as if the anti-aliasing was set to MINUS 4x lol. Anyway guys, sorry about the rant this morning. I've seen many BEAUTIFUL videos of X-plane 10. I just don't see how they could have been taken so smoothly. Maybe iMAC do makes a huge difference.

I'm depressed :(

Get your updated drivers first.
Next, your AA is WAY too high. Turn it down to 2x or 4x
Turn off HDR
Shadowing can go to 3D aircraft, but you will get better performance leaving it as low as possible. (This allows the aircraft to cast shadows on itself.)
Turn your water reflection down to default.
Turn off volumetric fog and atmospheric scattering.
Turn your clouds down to about 30%

THIS should give you good framerates for your system. Then you can start turning things back on until you are happy with the performance.

Visit our Facebook Page

#50 Nouknitouk

Nouknitouk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice Goran

My AA is 16X in X-plane 9 with no issues, so that is why I have set it to 16X in version 10. What does the Shadowing to 3D aircraft means ? WHat is the difference between OVERLAY, STATIC, 3D Aircrafts, and GLOBAL??? anyone knows what 3d Bump maps means ????

I have a pretty decent system I think , and I'm disappointed that I have to turn off all the new features like HDR and clouds. I will give it a try. I've sticked to my ATI drivers because everytime I tried updating them, it became a mess of reconfiguring Eyefinity!! I even had to roll back once because I could not configure the 3 monitors like I used to. SO I probably have a 2 years old ATI driver installed at the moment.

anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will start with low settings and upgrade them one by one, to see which one is the fps killer

thanks and hopefully the driver update helps a lot
Patrick

#51 Goran_M

Goran_M

Advanced Member

• Leading Edge
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the advice Goran

My AA is 16X in X-plane 9 with no issues, so that is why I have set it to 16X in version 10. What does the Shadowing to 3D aircraft means ? WHat is the difference between OVERLAY, STATIC, 3D Aircrafts, and GLOBAL??? anyone knows what 3d Bump maps means ????

I have a pretty decent system I think , and I'm disappointed that I have to turn off all the new features like HDR and clouds. I will give it a try. I've sticked to my ATI drivers because everytime I tried updating them, it became a mess of reconfiguring Eyefinity!! I even had to roll back once because I could not configure the 3 monitors like I used to. SO I probably have a 2 years old ATI driver installed at the moment.

anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will start with low settings and upgrade them one by one, to see which one is the fps killer

thanks and hopefully the driver update helps a lot
Patrick

The shadowing, I'm not 100% sure what all the settings represent. I did have a play around with it today and when it was on "overlay" the aircraft had no shadows cast on it. When i had it on 3D aircraft, the different parts of the aircraft were casting shadows on the aircraft itself. As for the rest of the shadow settings, I'm only guessing that they increase quality. ("Melt the GPU" wasn't particularly appealing for me to try).
Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: FYI, shaders are the biggest FPS killer. Use them carefully.

Edited by Goran_M, 25 November 2011 - 07:47 AM.

Visit our Facebook Page

#52 Oliver

Oliver

The French Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationFlorida\Paris

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

Well my download finally finished this morning! Loaded up XP, tweaked it to my liking and I'm getting roughly the same FPS in some areas, and better FPS in other areas as xp9. I really like the new interface and the new lighting\ATC\Weather systems! The only thing that I wish would change would be the hotkeys for the views, the new ones are a bit confusing... And one more thing (directed to those working at Laminar) Are we going to get the option to set ourselves 3nm or 10nm from a certain runway? I could not find this option when I was playing around with the demo, and it's really useful for practicing ILS or just landings.

EDIT: Specs are Quad 2.67, 8GB DDR3 Ram, and a Nvidia 9500GT with 1GB of V-Ram.

Edited by Oliver, 25 November 2011 - 07:52 AM.

Specs:

Desktop: Intel Core I7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz, AMD Radeon HD6850 with 1GB DDR5 Vram, 10GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5TB HDD.
Laptop: Intel Core I7 2630QM @ 2.00Ghz, Intel Graphics 3000, 6GB DDR3 Ram, 2TB HDD.
Tablet: iPad I 64Gb with 3G.

80 Hours flight time.
Flown: C-150,C-152,C-162,C-172,C-172 with G-1000,C-182,C-182T,C-182T with G1000,DR400-180,DR400-120,Tecnam P2002,PA28-201 "Archer", PA28T "Arrow", Piper PA-34 "Seneca", Bell 206, R22, PA32 "Saratoga"

#53 philipp

philipp

Team Laminar/X-Plane, instrument-rated pilot

• CRJ-200 Development
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt, Germany

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Folks,

update your GPU drivers!
This is crucial! There was a HUGE improvement in openGL performance of both the ATI and the nVidia cards when they pushed the updates for Rage. So if you haven't updated your driver since 2011-10-10 you must update now.

Philipp

X-Plane developer and private pilot

CRJ-200 and 777 developer - read the full story in the interview

Stay updated with my blog on X-Plane plugin development
Follow me on Twitter: @XPlanePhil

#54 Wynthorpe

Wynthorpe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

Been a while since ive been on here, but XP10 had me having to post, first off it looks "ok" not much better than XP9 really, yes the raods are nice and the night lighting etc, but the textures are still very amateurish.

Next up is performance, on my 2500K@5.2ghz and ATi HD6970 2GB and all left on default i get no more than 22fps, im up to date with all drivers, think it needs a lot of optimizing yet.
  • Like x 1
  • List

i5 3570K @4.6Ghz
GTX680 SOC 2Gb
8Gb Corsair Vengence

#55 meshboy

meshboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

X-Plane 10 is everything and more that i expected! This Demo is sooo cooool. The World is so beautiful and though the 747 is default aircraft, it handles great. It feels heavy and don´t bounce around like a piper cessna.

When Ixeg 737 releases for X-Plane 10 i am going to wet my pants and die from heartattack while approaching for landing is this beautiful sim with ixeg system depth!

#56 woweezowee

woweezowee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

I am not happy

I'm somewhere in the middle between not happy and definately happy. For one, those are some great features and design that went into this sim. But the ATI Radeon HD5870, wich I also have, does struggle. Like you say, it is not really that much dependend on the resolution. I also gain minimal when turning it down. Biggest effect against FSP is shadows (I won't use Global shadows), HDR (but only in 3D cockpit view), water effects (I'll use very low) and Clouds (lowered it to 10%).

The HD5870 seems to handle it very well to display a large amount of objects (buildungs, streets) without too much impact. I have forests now at "filled in", as buildings and streets are much more required to make up the "plausible world". With lots of buildings and the like, it is obvious that this is a beautiful sim. It is even better around smaller cities in the demo region, where the housings and bridges and smaller streets really make a perfect impression.

So here's my plan:
- stop the trial and error with the demo. I have a good impression about what to expect now and I know I will be able to find settings that I can live with, although those won't be the ones I may have dreamed of.
- will wait now for Aerosoft to finish their version, hopefully including a 10.1 or even 10.2. don't wanna go crazy with the bugs now. the release canditate/beta status is very obvious.
- get me a graphics card update, some next gen AMD/ATI, as soon as they are avaiable sometime in 2012 (and fit into the Mac Pro). I want that HDR. I want those global shadows. That's for sure and worth an upgrade.

Meanwhile I keep my fingers crossed for an early X-Plane 10 64-bit. Yes, I already had my first "Xmapped out of memomory" with version 10. Good old friend, still around ;).

But please, I am curious, because I don't exactly understand:

Do we use HDR with volumetric fog and per pixel lightning, or does it replace those, make them unnecessary, like it does with the standard anti aliasing?
  • Like x 1
  • List

wac-banner_sm.jpg
---
Markus [8S2 in FSE (download at *org)] * 2010 MacPro, 27' display, Radeon HD 7950 * Mountain Lion * XP10 *
Wishlist of planes in top-quality: The whole Tecnam single prop fleet & all FK-Lightplanes *

#57 meshboy

meshboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

i just taxied slowly with the 747 at night with the cockpit lighting in deep fog. The feeling is incredible. When you light up all the other aircraft with your own landing lights...
The only bad thing about X-Plane 10 demo is the 10 minute rule. What where they thinking!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

#58 benny

benny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationParis , France

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Just made a few more tests, well for an early version i'm hooked.
Performance wise i think it's good, if it can be optimised for the final release it's gonna be awesome
A test on LFMT , G2XPL orthophoto, 120'000 buildings generated from openStreetMap, 25 fps (i7 950, hd6970, 4gb ram)

Posted Image Posted Image
  • Like x 1
  • List

#59 Nouknitouk

Nouknitouk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Benny. Nice shots!!! However, I also get 23 fps when in Chase view like that, just overlooking the scenery. The performance decreases dramatically in cockpit mode and when actually doing what the sim is made for : flying

I don't see how you can have those settings and simply not kill the sim like me. I will definitely update the ATI Drivers. I'm anxious to see if it makes any difference!

#60 GrahamH

GrahamH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

Still downloading... 8kb/s with 42 hour to go. I want to cry. :(
I just don't feel like downloading by torrent.

"I just want to tell you both, good luck. We're all counting on you"
- Dr. Rumack

Airliners.net albums:

http://www.airliners...creator=GrahamH
http://www.airliners...creator=GrahamH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Click to return to top of page!