X-PLANE 10 DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karingka

Awesome! As long as I keep the clouds down to a conservative level and the HDR rendering off, frames are nice! With a GTX 560, it'll work perfectly!!!!!

I am still downloading, but from what you have seen so far, how do you think it will perform with an AMD 1090T x6 (6 core) 3.2ghz processor, Windows 7 64bit, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and a PNY GTX 560 TI OC?

someone explain to why this happens with the HDR setting: It costs me 1 fps in outside views, but a whole lot 10-12 fps in 3d-cockpit view.

And do I use it with volumetric fog and per pixel lightning, or does it replace those, like it does with the standard anti aliasing?

And global shadows have to stay off - it is the biggest fps killer.

Edited by woweezowee

Torrent is hardly any faster than the normal download. Congratulations, X-Plane team: you've just made the first mistake that every company "going big" makes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing... :)

BT is BT, Laminar has nothing to do with that. It's not something I use so I had to download a client. The process was slow until I tweaked the settings, then it screamed.

BT is BT, Laminar has nothing to do with that.

But they have all control over the normal download. ;)

It's not something I use so I had to download a client. The process was slow until I tweaked the settings, then it screamed.

What settings did you change, if I may ask?

Edit: I'm using utorrent.

Edited by Kaphias

But they have all control over the normal download. ;)

What settings did you change, if I may ask?

Edit: I'm using utorrent.

When the largest tech companies can be brought to their knees by an overly large response, I can not fault Laminar for what is happening today--my guess is that you are not in the computer/internet industry. I don't mean this as a slight.

I am using Transmission. what I did was first run a speed test to find my current UL speed. I then went to: http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html to determine the proper settings. It was still slow until I found an advanced setting that drastically increased the number of peers (I went from 60 to 500.) Many of these were 100% complete which took me from 4-5 complete seeders to over 100

When the largest tech companies can be brought to their knees by an overly large response, I can not fault Laminar for what is happening today--my guess is that you are not in the computer/internet industry. I don't mean this as a slight.

No, I'm not in the computer/internet industry. Still, I blame the team for the slow speeds, as there is really no one else's fault it can be. The least I can do- and what I am doing- is understand that upgrading to servers that would be able to handle the load seen today is out of their reach, and their money is better spent elsewhere. That said, if these kind of speeds are what new users who aren't used to the X-Plane business model will be faced with during updates, etc., then I couldn't blame some of them for turning away.

I am using Transmission. what I did was first run a speed test to find my current UL speed. I then went to: http://infinite-sour...az/az-calc.html to determine the proper settings. It was still slow until I found an advanced setting that drastically increased the number of peers (I went from 60 to 500.) Many of these were 100% complete which took me from 4-5 complete seeders to over 100

So more peers is better, eh? I need to learn more about torrents I guess. :P

Yep, that's the nature of peer-to-peer filesharing. The more people you can get data from at 5kb/s or so each, the faster you'll get the whole file.

About the position of XP10 in the civil sim marketplace - what competitors does it have? The MSFS franchise is dead, despite the host of users and 3rd party devs happily living in its hollowed-out carcass - it cannot become better than it already is. Take On Helicopters is not really the same thing. What else is out there?

Prepar3d is meant to carry on from where microsoft left fsx. Some talk of future improvements. Orbx have declared an alliance with them. If you've seen my blog post on how incredible xp10 is, you'll know my opinion of its future! No comparison. You won't need orbx. And our planes are better already :-)

I am not happy

Hello and good morning everyone

X-plane 10 demo was downloading last night while flying a couple legs from the Caribean tour. Once downloaded, I realized that no installation was required, which is cool. SO I launch the thing.

Now, before I go any further, let me provide you with the specs of my computer: :( :( :( :(

- Intel i7 core

- 24 Gb of RAM (yes, 24)

- ATI Radeon HD5870

With almost everything turned on to medium and high in X-plane 9, I get easily 40 fps. In X-plane 10, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to NOT have a slideshow. OK, I don't understand how people can actually run the sim. I had to turn down the texture res to Medium. With BLUE SKIES, I can NEVER get more than 18 fps, with settings at medium-low, and with HDR, which does not seem to affect a lot at the FPS level, which is good news. Shadowing is horrible. I tried every setting, and again, removing the shadowing, I gained about 1-2 fps. TRees to sparse, AIrport detail and all other settings to default.

"what the hell" is what I'm thinking. I was reading the posts on the internet on the X_plane developer blog, and they said many times that if good performance on X-plane 9, then X-plane 10 would be similar or even better!!!!

Let's just say that, to even REACH 20 fps, I had to remove traffic completely, and set everything to blue skies.

Setting clouds in there, I go below the mark of 10 fps.

I just don't get it.

I tried different resolution, because I thought that maybe my three monitors configuration was the problem, so I set it to 1 monitor in 1980x1080-16 bit. Same thing. Gainned about 1 fps overall.

I am REAAALLY Disapointed.

Now, I have not updated my display drivers for a looooong time, but I can't believe that this could actually be the solution. How would display drivers suddently give me the missing 20fps to reach 30fps ?

OH I forgot to mention something, this is not even in KSEA, this is at a nearby airport in the coutry side near KSEA, cause KSEA... forget it. Slideshow. and there are bugs all over the thing.

I flew over the coutry side.. there are houses line up in the middle of the forest... with no roads (I"ll take screengrabs when I can). Weather looks good....but to me, it is unusable the sun looks amazing when it reflects in the water.

I will update my display drivers tonight and report back. In the meantime, id be interested to see what people have been getting as fps, WITH and WITHOUT HDR enabled. OK guys, If you are going to run XP-10 without clouds and without HDR... might as well stay with XP9 ???? that's what I think.

Slideshow, even with a new system so they better improve...

I don't even want to think of using the CRJ at the moment.

Thank you and most importantly... good luck ???

here's the post I'm referring to, only 2 months old, and with the same card that I have:

the performance he states are definitely far from what I am getting:

http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/10/x-plane-10-and-gpu-power/

Patrick

Edited by Nouknitouk
  • Upvote 2

I am not happy

Hello and good morning everyone

X-plane 10 demo was downloading last night while flying a couple legs from the Caribean tour. Once downloaded, I realized that no installation was required, which is cool. SO I launch the thing.

Now, before I go any further, let me provide you with the specs of my computer: :( :( :( :(

- Intel i7 core

- 24 Gb of RAM (yes, 24)

- ATI Radeon HD5870

With almost everything turned on to medium and high in X-plane 9, I get easily 40 fps. In X-plane 10, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to NOT have a slideshow. OK, I don't understand how people can actually run the sim. I had to turn down the texture res to Medium. With BLUE SKIES, I can NEVER get more than 18 fps, with settings at medium-low, and with HDR, which does not seem to affect a lot at the FPS level, which is good news. Shadowing is horrible. I tried every setting, and again, removing the shadowing, I gained about 1-2 fps. TRees to sparse, AIrport detail and all other settings to default.

"what the hell" is what I'm thinking. I was reading the posts on the internet on the X_plane developer blog, and they said many times that if good performance on X-plane 9, then X-plane 10 would be similar or even better!!!!

Let's just say that, to even REACH 20 fps, I had to remove traffic completely, and set everything to blue skies.

Setting clouds in there, I go below the mark of 10 fps.

I just don't get it.

I tried different resolution, because I thought that maybe my three monitors configuration was the problem, so I set it to 1 monitor in 1980x1080-16 bit. Same thing. Gainned about 1 fps overall.

I am REAAALLY Disapointed.

Now, I have not updated my display drivers for a looooong time, but I can't believe that this could actually be the solution. How would display drivers suddently give me the missing 20fps to reach 30fps ?

OH I forgot to mention something, this is not even in KSEA, this is at a nearby airport in the coutry side near KSEA, cause KSEA... forget it. Slideshow. and there are bugs all over the thing.

I flew over the coutry side.. there are houses line up in the middle of the forest... with no roads (I"ll take screengrabs when I can). Weather looks good....but to me, it is unusable the sun looks amazing when it reflects in the water.

I will update my display drivers tonight and report back. In the meantime, id be interested to see what people have been getting as fps, WITH and WITHOUT HDR enabled. OK guys, If you are going to run XP-10 without clouds and without HDR... might as well stay with XP9 ???? that's what I think.

Slideshow, even with a new system so they better improve...

I don't even want to think of using the CRJ at the moment.

Thank you and most importantly... good luck ???

here's the post I'm referring to, only 2 months old, and with the same card that I have:

the performance he states are definitely far from what I am getting:

http://www.x-plane.c...-and-gpu-power/

Patrick

Patrick,

Can you post a screenshot of your in-sim settings so we can get a better idea of what we're looking at.

I will as soon as I'm back home

I recall the following settings as I played with them for more than 30 minutes.

Texture Resolution: High

Resolution: 1920x1080x16 bit

- HDR: Enabled with FXAA 4X

- Atmospheric Scattering: Enabled.

- Anisotropic filtering: 16X (but tried different settings , even none... did not make a difference on the fps)

- Anti-Aliasing: 16X

- Shadowing: tried, Static, Global Low, and 3D Aircraft. (By the way, there is no explanation in the demo as to what do those settings means)

- Trees: Sparse

- Road Traffic: Siberia Winter

- Airport Detail: Default

- Number of OBjects: Default

- Water reflection: Complete (tried different settings but, did not really affect the fps)

- Clouds were about 50% of each settings, which were default. However, I had to set to blue skies or put those to zero to be able to get more than 10 fps, in the country-side. I don't even want to think about KSEA

- Compress VRAM to save textures: Enabled

- 3D Bump Maps: Enabled or not enabled did not make a difference

- Volumetric Fog: Enabled

- Other Aircrafts: 0

That's all I can remember. I would like to have more time playing with the settings, but obviously something is wrong as I could set more things to HIGH or even EXTREME HIGH in X-plane 9 no problem, at a resolution of 3840x1024 (3 monitors).

The more I think, the more I believe it might be my display drivers. The shadowing was really staggered, as if the anti-aliasing was set to MINUS 4x lol. Anyway guys, sorry about the rant this morning. I've seen many BEAUTIFUL videos of X-plane 10. I just don't see how they could have been taken so smoothly. Maybe iMAC do makes a huge difference.

I'm depressed :(

I will as soon as I'm back home

I recall the following settings as I played with them for more than 30 minutes.

Texture Resolution: High

Resolution: 1920x1080x16 bit

- HDR: Enabled with FXAA 4X

- Atmospheric Scattering: Enabled.

- Anisotropic filtering: 16X (but tried different settings , even none... did not make a difference on the fps)

- Anti-Aliasing: 16X

- Shadowing: tried, Static, Global Low, and 3D Aircraft. (By the way, there is no explanation in the demo as to what do those settings means)

- Trees: Sparse

- Road Traffic: Siberia Winter

- Airport Detail: Default

- Number of OBjects: Default

- Water reflection: Complete (tried different settings but, did not really affect the fps)

- Clouds were about 50% of each settings, which were default. However, I had to set to blue skies or put those to zero to be able to get more than 10 fps, in the country-side. I don't even want to think about KSEA

- Compress VRAM to save textures: Enabled

- 3D Bump Maps: Enabled or not enabled did not make a difference

- Volumetric Fog: Enabled

- Other Aircrafts: 0

That's all I can remember. I would like to have more time playing with the settings, but obviously something is wrong as I could set more things to HIGH or even EXTREME HIGH in X-plane 9 no problem, at a resolution of 3840x1024 (3 monitors).

The more I think, the more I believe it might be my display drivers. The shadowing was really staggered, as if the anti-aliasing was set to MINUS 4x lol. Anyway guys, sorry about the rant this morning. I've seen many BEAUTIFUL videos of X-plane 10. I just don't see how they could have been taken so smoothly. Maybe iMAC do makes a huge difference.

I'm depressed :(

Get your updated drivers first.

Next, your AA is WAY too high. Turn it down to 2x or 4x

Turn off HDR

Shadowing can go to 3D aircraft, but you will get better performance leaving it as low as possible. (This allows the aircraft to cast shadows on itself.)

Turn your water reflection down to default.

Turn off volumetric fog and atmospheric scattering.

Turn your clouds down to about 30%

THIS should give you good framerates for your system. Then you can start turning things back on until you are happy with the performance.

Thanks for the advice Goran

My AA is 16X in X-plane 9 with no issues, so that is why I have set it to 16X in version 10. What does the Shadowing to 3D aircraft means ? WHat is the difference between OVERLAY, STATIC, 3D Aircrafts, and GLOBAL??? anyone knows what 3d Bump maps means ????

I have a pretty decent system I think , and I'm disappointed that I have to turn off all the new features like HDR and clouds. I will give it a try. I've sticked to my ATI drivers because everytime I tried updating them, it became a mess of reconfiguring Eyefinity!! I even had to roll back once because I could not configure the 3 monitors like I used to. SO I probably have a 2 years old ATI driver installed at the moment.

anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will start with low settings and upgrade them one by one, to see which one is the fps killer

thanks and hopefully the driver update helps a lot

Patrick