NorCal screenshot of the day

RealScenery

Flying in the South Bay, north of San Jose, over the large and colorful salt evaporators. A beautiful sun glint appears in the distance off the San Francisco Bay in the late afternoon. Moffett Federal Airfield (KNUQ) is in the background to the left in the image.

norcal2.jpg

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 2

Beautiful shots of NorCal ! I feel like a kid waiting for christmas I am glad My harddrive has lots of free space ! I guessing witn this amount of detail were talking 100 Gig

I appreciate your excitement, Robert! Your file size guess was very good! :)

Please see this post about file sizes and a map of the scenery areas available.

Eric

Flying in the South Bay, north of San Jose, over the large and colorful salt evaporators. A beautiful sun glint appears in the distance off the San Francisco Bay in the late afternoon. Moffett Federal Airfield (KNUQ) is in the background to the left in the image.

I used to work in the NASA Ames/Moffett Field/Lockheed Martin area quite a bit years ago.  The aircraft appears to be heading back towards the East Bay, towards highway 84 (Dumbarton Bridge) and eventually further north into the Hayward area.  It would not surprise me if KHWD was your destination, or maybe further up north to KOAK, my home base.

This looks outstanding to say the least.  I believe I even see high way 101, to the south of KNUQ.  The color of the salt flats area are very intense in this pic (a little too green), but depending on the time of year and the atmospherics, that entire area could look completely different from day to day.  The most recognizable landmark around Moffett Field, is Hanger One (west side of the field), which I don't see distinctively in this image.  However, the Cessna is a good distance away.

Overall, this looks really good and I look forward to trying it out.

Cheers!

Flying along the beautiful Pacific coast south of San Francisco.

Do you have any intention of just going ahead and doing ALL of the United States at some point?  Also, how big a project and how long would it take you to accomplish something like that?

I do realize that we are probably talking about a bigger HDD to do it right, but your Scenery is so spectacular that it would be worth investing in either a new internal HDD, or a rather large external metalic Frisbee.  Heavy metal Frisbees of sufficient size have gone down in price of late and it would only be a one time expenditure with a pretty significant gain in overall quality of experience, that's for certain.

Thanks for that link Eric ! WOW 26 scenery areas ! It looks like I am not the only one who's really excited about this release . This is a huge project thank you ! And for what its worth ( its just another opinion )but for me photoreal scenery is the only way to fly in xplane! You have spoiled me with your enhanced scenery

Flying over the city of Woodland, just west of the Sacramento Int'l Airport (KSMF), and northwest of the Sacramento metro area. Many of these central valley towns have a very sudden change between the urban area and the surrounding agricultural landscape, such as shown here.

norcal6.jpg

Edited by RealScenery
  • Upvote 1

Flying on the west side of Mt. Shasta in far northern California, near sunset. Mt. Shasta dominates the northern California landscape as it rises to over 14,000 feet (4300 meters) above sea level, and has an elevation rise of 10,000 feet above the surrounding terrain. Interstate 5 (I-5), the main north-south freeway that runs from Canada to Mexico, passes right at the base of Mt. Shasta on the west side of the mountain. I-5 and Mt. Shasta are great landmarks when flying VFR in this area.

norcal9.jpg

• Upvote 2