YSSY Sydney Airport Photo Scenery

chris k

More cutting and re-sampling today. Probably cut a Beta 0.65 by the end of the day. =)

We've hit a Magic Milestone! We're now below the 512 Mb VRAM Mark on XP10! (on 'very high' res, with tons of cars, tons of objects, heavy trees, and 2 AI 747 Aircraft all loaded). No More Texture Swapping on my olde 4870 card!

very-high-full-xp10.jpg

The Scenery at "extreme" (same settings) is still 1.3 Gb. Much work to be done =)

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Beta 0.65:

July 08, 2012

- 7 tiles downsampled 2k -> 1k (2.8Mb to 700Kb each) to save 4x VRAM each in lesser used areas of the Airport

Should be unnoticeable, as they're not in high traffic taxi areas - the VRAM savings are worth it. See below.

- Cut northern tiles in half, saved more VRAM.

- Found tiles with alpha channel that did not need it.

- Another 15.7 Mb of VRAM saved - Every little bit counts at this point.

- Lots more objects in the Northern International Cargo Area.

- Replaced White Hash Marks with White Zebra Stripe Marks at INTL Terminal. Looks Crisp!

- Replaced the classic1.fac with the modern3.fac for the International Terminal. Let me know if you like this one better.

- More Taxi-line fixes and lighting.

- The VRAM Savings are paying huge dividends for me. Texture resolution 'high' with compression enabled, I'm below the Magic 512 Mb.

With "lots" of objects - and everything else "tons", I'm between 30 and 50 FPS everywhere! (Radeon 4870 512Mb)

- If you have a 512Mb Video Card, you're in for a speed treat!

- If you have a 1Gb Video Card… well.. you already know how fast it can go =)

- Photoshopped Tile form Fenriz (11-4) received today - Cut, Converted, and added. Thankyou!!

- Culled additional OSM roads south sie of the INTL terminal on the Parking Apron infield.

- Excluded an autogen object south of INTL Parking Apron (a house showed up there).

737_177.jpg

737_173.jpg

737_180.jpg

^^ Check out those FPS Numbers now. I'm flying the EADT x737 v4.6 at the same time (Highly detailed ACFT), with a full XP10 Install.

File size: 166,078,937 Bytes (smaller and smaller).

Mirror 1: Depreciated - See Beta 0.7

Mirror 2: Depreciated - See Beta 0.7

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Woot! Hehe, the Gangs all here. =)

You may all Know Skyflyer as the Maker of the McDonalds and the Hungry Jack's were using in the Scenery. (See Sky? I kind of hinted I'd be needing one soon late last year, which is why I asked for one all those months ago when you did the Burger King! Heheh.)

Just need Nickster to flop on over at some point.... If he's not too busy doing his own amazing scenery. =) (Man, that guy has some awesome objects too).

- CK.

Heya Andras. Thanks!

Any update on one of my known issues w/YSSY? (In the readme):

No Water in Botany Bay - Laminar needs recut the .DSF tile in a future Base-Scenery Update (Hi Alpilotx! If you're gonna do it, do it soon, pls! =))

Oh dear ... yes, of course I remember that issue. Well, problem is, I can't fix it until I don't have some newer OSM data in our "data repository". And until now, Ben is the "master" of OSM data extraction (at least when it comes to our scenery generator) ... I have already queried him about such an OSM data refresh, but until now he is completely buried in the 10.10 roll out. I am "afraid" I won't have much input from him until he has 10.10 out of the door (which will include the beta phase too) ... and even then, grabbing and pre-processing OSM data is something that takes some time. So, I can't promise a quick fix ... but it will come with time.

(heck, even I do wait on an OSM refresh, as I don't really want to create further HD Mesh tiles with the old data :rolleyes: .... but at least I have something else in my pipeline).

• Upvote 1

Ok, Cool. Thanks for the update!

Was hoping that the YSSY release might, by pure luck, co-inside with a re-cut of the .DSF at the same time as part of 10.10 =). I suppose that would have been just icing on the cake for us.!

No worries - "It'll get done when it gets done" is a perfectly fine answer. Our tiles are already pre-alphaed out for where the water goes; so we're somewhat 'future proof' for that. I added a beach exclusion already - so when the tile is re-cut, we'll have a clean edge on the ortho.

Cheers!

- CK.

Edited by chris k

More cutting and re-sampling today. Probably cut a Beta 0.65 by the end of the day. =)

We've hit a Magic Milestone! We're now below the 512 Mb VRAM Mark on XP10! (on 'very high' res, with tons of cars, tons of objects, heavy trees, and 2 AI 747 Aircraft all loaded). No More Texture Swapping on my olde 4870 card!

very-high-full-xp10.jpg

The Scenery at "extreme" (same settings) is still 1.3 Gb. Much work to be done =)

- CK.

What settings exactly may I ask? I easily use over 500mb with textures at very high textures with airport detail at either very high or extreme, and shadow detail at global medium (everything else on highest and 1080p).

Tex: Very High

Objects: Lots

Roads: Tons

Airport Detail: extreme

Object distance: High

Shaders: Global (light)

1920x1200 16:10 (whats this 1080 stuff? You using a TV instead of a computer monitor?) =) -grin-

Anyways - That's how it loads for me, daytime, sitting on RWY 34L on the EADT x737. Dunno - difference in driver? difference in plugins? difference in vehicles? No idea.

How much over 512Mb are you? 30Mb or 1000Mb over? =) (i.e. are we talking "running with scissors" bad, or "licking plutonium" bad?)

Note that unused textures get swapped out of VRAM to system RAM anyways, so the scenery should all fit within active VRAM now. XP10 loads extra textures it *might* need as part of it's main load, but isn't rendering at the time, so those'll get swapped out.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

I'm in the Carenado Bonanza 33A. My VRAM is loaded with 550mb now.

Compress textures to save VRAM: Check

Texture res: very high

Number of trees: overgrown

number of objects: extreme

number of roads: tons

number of cars: Kansas

World detail: very high

Airport detail: extrem

Shadow: 3d on aircraft

Water reflection: advanced

4x anti aliasing

Volumetric fog

3D bump maps

30% clouds

No AI planes.

With these settings at 2560x1440 resolution, I'm getting a disappointing 6-13 fps. :(

Pulling number of objects down to mega tons, didn't do anything to the performance. The performance loss is when my view is aimed at the terminals. Could it be the static planes? Something is bogging down the system.

So I set number of objects back to extreme, and now dialed down the airport detail to default. This gave a 2-4 fps boost.

Tried turning down the world detail, even at the lowest setting, no added performance.

So I switched it all back up at the same settings I had before (and which is working very well other places, all though I don't have much scenery installed yet. Nearly no scenery for Norway yet, which is where I usually fly.)

Rotating around a little to see if I could figure out where the weak spot was. Here's a few screenshots (in the zip file) for you to take a look at, Chris.

UPDATE

Poked around a little, and noticed an object that was insanely detailed (great job on the modeling!) but that's the main reason my system got slower. The bridge. Whenever my view was in the direction of the bridge... Now I easily have 15fps in the Bonanza, and about 20-25fps with the x737 (with Qantas livery of course ;) ) I'm at about 15-20fps with the JRollon CRJ200 too. All tests were done taking off from 34R.

I also went over and removed the parking cars. That added another couple of frames per second.

Don't get me wrong Chris, you've done a GREAT job. Best scenery I've seen to date. But given the tools are there, I took the liberty to make it run a bit smoother, at least on my machine. :)

yssyfpsissue.zip

post-171-0-93277700-1341947220_thumb.jpg

Edited by OlaHaldor

Roger! I'll probabaly cull the bridge. I can also thin out the cars, or put then into a higher-rendering-options category (supported in WED 1.2)

I too get that every now and then.. I look in 1 direction, and I go from 35-40 fps to 11.

I'll do ye olde trial and error soon to try and cull things for us.

BTW - This is exactly WHY we do Beta Testing heh heh... =) We want this scenery to run as fluidly as possible on the widest set of systems; with the low-bar set at 512Mb VRAM. Also Makes us future proof into XP10_x64 and a bit of a "showcase" to the high-end users. (something for them to shoot for - i.e. think of it as a 'benchmark' much like KSEA is =).

- CK.

P.S. I'd love to see people saying: "Yeah, with this hardware, I get 35 FPS sitting on YSSY RWY 34L" =).. as public benchmark.

P.P.S. There was no benchmarking tools in BeOS5, but there was an OpenGL rendered teapot demo included int he base OS, which showed FPS.

We used to say "How many Teapots Per Second" you could get - as the BeOS5 benchmark =)

Edited by chris k
  • Upvote 1

We're Still Here!

Lots of stuff "going on behind the scenes". Expect a .7 sometime today as we nut out some of the changes for this one.

Ola - Ive tried to make some object density and other refinements for you to help the FPS. Also been able to (once again) shave about 5Mb off of VRAM.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Beta 0.7:

July 15, 2012

737_200.jpg

- 3 New Tiles done (6-3, 9-3, 9-4) by our man Ropeless!

- Northern Tiles cut so they blend with the autogen scenery nicely (cut on road edges to hide the abrupt change)

- Replaced XP10 Library Bollards with new White Bollards protecting Glideslope towers (Ropeless Objects) to match "Real Life" at YSSY.

- ** All Signage Fixed. ** No Errors in the apt.dat! - Clean and ready to submit to Robin.

- Additional Taxi Signs added where they now exist in reality.

- ILS Critical Zones marked

- Runway Hold Warnings on Signs

- More taxiway Centrelines, More Yellow Edge Lines (whew, Bezier curves to the rescue!)

- More tarmac roadways marked, signed, speed signs added.

- Clutter, Clutter, Clutter! (at runways ends at least)

- Runway Edge markings adjusted in cases to be more precise to cut off the white edges properly.

- Long Term parking Lot area treed, fenced, marked, polygons added, parking gates added, lit.

- Old Tower area fenced, Treed, and Lit.

- Additional Water towers as per reality

- More Water alpha areas cut, New Water pool North side of Domestic Hangars area near RWY16R Threshold.

- Split various 2048x2048 tiles into two: 1 hires (2048x1024), 1 low res (1024x512) where covered by buildings.

- Dropped another 5Mb of VRAM

- Removed Harbour Bridge (causing FPS hits)

- Removed many 3D Tree Objects (causing FPS hits)

- Added 2D billboard tress instead in their place (easy on the FPS)

- Weather stations added on S side of 34L. using stand in marker beacon objects which look OK.

- Added field junction Boxes in various parts of the grass

- Added electrical cabinets on the grass, at ILS towers, at weather stations, etc.

- Changed many edge markers from yellow-on-black to just yellow:

They blend in nice with the ortho and don't look like thy were 'pained on' after the fact.

- Transit Vans added to add to clutter.

- Moved the REIL Omnidirectional beacons on RWY07 threshold, so you don't drive over them on the run-up.

- Added more Vegetation to wooded/treed areas.

- Tinkering with Lights to make them not glow in the dark.

- Tested in 10.05 and 10.10 Beta 1 (HDR is very very very nice now in 10.10) =)

- Plus some minor changes/tweaks to edging, centrelines, object orientation, etc.

- 1 Easter Egg added.. More to come. =)

- Pls. provide FPS feedback on this (for Ola).

Enjoy!

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Patience my son! =)

It does take a good 30 mins to sync to Dropbox. I push it there, and as it's syncing I do the posting.

Glad to see everyone is very eager to get the new version, though =)

- CK.

We certainly are. This keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for a release (:! Have you done testing in the new beta? Frame rates are smoother for me, I'm using a 570 GTX superclocked.

Yep - All my development immediately went to 10.10 beta 1, and I'm now running/testing using 10.10 beta 2. HDR rocks on 10.10 =)

Release is coming. My big issue is getting the VRAM down, so that Ola doesn't get Texture Swaps.. (and neither do I) when running 'very high' res w/compression

i.e. I just cut another 11 tiles down (in half that is, some hi-res some medium res where you aren't looking), saved another 19 Mb of VRAM in the process without sacrificing detail in the areas it counts.

If your GTX 570 has 1 Gb of VRAM, You're laughing. =)

- CK.

Beta 0.75:

July 16, 2012

>>> SHUT EVERYTHING ELSE DOWN if you have a 512 Mb Video Card! <<<

>>> You will need every Ounce of VRAM in your card for this scenery. <<<

Mini Update - this one's all about VRAM!

- New tile 11-5 (ropeless), and downsampled to 1k by 1k for VRAM savings (1.4 Mb VRAM)

- Cut 11 tiles in half (half the tile is 2k x 2k, the other 1k x 1k or less)

- Savings of 19 Mb of VRAM Yet again by all the cutting.

- Basically I'm downsampling in areas that you're not generally looking, without sacrificing detail in the areas where it counts.

- Sent RWY07/RWY16R Glideslope changes to Robin Peel so that it'll be automatically added for all X-Plane users.

- CK.

Edited by chris k

Hi Gang,

Chris requested a few screenshots of HDR lighting. I've included a screengrab of my settings, as far as my framerates, you will see them in the top left corner, but they rarely drop below 30 now, whereas before all your hard work at tinkering, they would get as low as 20 sometimes. I can only go to 'very high', not 'extreme' res as it acts like a old time slideshow (the ones that went for 2 hours you had to watch...=)

regards

Dan

System - Mac Pro 1,1 with 1GB Radeon 5870, 9GB Ram running snow Leopard, and XP 10.10 Beta 2

EDIT: Good question OlaHaldor - Resolution is 1680x1050

Edited by skyflyer
  • Upvote 1