Bell UH-1 Huey

Hueyman

Huey or not Huey ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready to support a UH-1 Huey project ?

• YES, I want that legendary helicopter come in X-Plane skies by Dreamfoil !
    • NO, I don't like the father of all helicopters ..

Hello everyone, how are you ?

I create this topic for a community request. I am a helicopter enthusiast, since the early beginning..

post-4525-0-87942000-1322686165_thumb.jp

I never understood why in X-Plane, not any serious developer has ever thought of a great quality Huey. If just one helicopter should be choose among others, the Huey really should be that one .. It's simply the icon of helicopters. The Bell UH-1 Huey was intensively used in Vietnam War, creating the concept of using helis for troops transport and infantry support. Since, many versions were born, Bell 212, 412 UH-Y " Venom ".. but all that stuff is full of avionics, glass cockpit, autopilot etc ..

post-4525-0-32467400-1322686509_thumb.jp

The very first ones, the UH-1 B,C,D,H series, commonly called Iroquois,Slicks or even more internationally known as the Huey ( which came from it's original US Army name : HU-1A ), were very unique, every crew, pilots, engineer that had worked with " him " just loved him and never forget, always hold an important place in their hearts.

post-4525-0-32181300-1322686239_thumb.jp

That helicopter is first, deadly beautiful, American always got talent to make things that looks just sweet and naturally pretty, not like english stuff for example .. Every parts of it is pure mechanic, from main rotorhead to tail rotor, pure clever and reliable mechanic. And an other thing, maybe the most spectacular one.. it's SOUND !

post-4525-0-79840400-1322686428_thumb.jp

Everyone one has obviously heard one, they are presents in EVERY US films. That sound was the " chance to get out of the green hell " for Vietnam vet's, and it still remains a certain charm nowadays, his big two bladed rotor made an exceptional sounds, it's like - for fixed wing enthusiasts - the sound of a big Pratt & Whitney radial engine, or F4U-1 legendary sound for example .. Very touching and affecting ...

It's the first helicopter in X-Plane, that I see people request :

- http://forums.x-pilo...e-payware-heli/

- http://forums.x-plan...showtopic=48423

Some were available for 7.XX X-Planer version.. very outdated now.

Alfredo Fernandes and his own company " Dreamfoil's Creation " ( http://dreamfoil.xyz.ind.br/ ) was quite interested in doing one, but seeing how the X-Plane helicopter market goes, it could be risky. People are less interested helicopter because " It's too hard to fly " or " It's not as faster as a SR71 Blackbird .. " But I hope ( and believe ) that now, with X-Plane 10 incredible lands, city, neighborhood, backyards, supermarket etc... anyway, all the new X-Plane 10 ground live, people will want some birds to fly low, land anywhere, to explore that brand new world..

Helicopters are not hard once you got how it works, and when you got it, you feel a impressive pleasure of perfectly control a beast that anyone tell is hard to handle..

I would like to know with this topic, how many people are REALLY interested in the Huey, and who would be ready to pay for it.

I really think Alfredo is THE guy for doing this, it's a perfectionist, he has already released two helicopters ( Bell 206 Jet Ranger III and Robinson R-22 Beta II ) outstanding ones, they were the first to benefits from a real 3D sound engine, with HQ sounds for every parts of the heli like blades slap, transmission, alternative wind, tail rotor, clutch .. all these sounds based on datarefs and how it react with what you are doing, how much blade pitch you input on, where and how much wind come to the rotor etc.. so not just good recorded sounds. And god know how the sounds are important in simulation, especially in helicopter. The very exceptional Huey sounds would benefits from that system ( Dreamengine exclusive plugin ).

Then, the flight model was, on the R22 and Bell 206, pushed very far, tested with real aviation pilots, tweaked by Alfredo, re tested by pilots etc.. cheating with values, using plugins, constantly tweaking to get the most realistic experience as possible with what X-Plane 9.70 has to offer. The graphics were outstanding, some things like vibrations and shaking is a " must have " feature that every heli should have and so, HE IS the guy if you want an extra quality Helicopter.

post-4525-0-59076600-1322686618_thumb.jp

So, give your thoughts , if you are really interested in it, make this thread busy ! If Huey has the reputation it has in the real rotary world, it should have many people interested !

Best regards,

Valentin

Edited by James Hetfield
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I even didn't answer there on the org, they are totally mad, there are no words to describe them, especially someone .. just madness. Every members didn't understand why he did that. Anyway, don"t want to waste this thread about the Huey , common people, keep voting ^^

Multiple people/groups are working on this helo type, actually, which is why I am commenting on it here.

Fred is a very talented developer, and while I think competition is great, a party of three or more in such a barren field full of an array of choices seems silly.

That said, without a doubt, I'd put my money down on Fred's being among the best in whatever he makes! :)

My point to Valentin in post 16 where I said it's already being made is to let him know that regardless of whether Fred chooses to end up doing it or not, it will get done! :) He seems to be worried Fred may not take this on in the instance interest is not good enough. Either way, it will get done, so never fear! :)

• Upvote 1