Let L-410 UVP-E4 Turbolet

ksgy

Here comes the good news and the bad news

The good news: the first alpha version flight was done by a real pilot. He was impressed how good is the flight model, but there were some minor things needs to be adjusted to match the real plane's flight and engine model.

The engine model is completely wrong in x-plane. You can make the plane fly like the real one, but then the numbers won't match - or if the numbers match, the model is completely unusable.

After some research, I found the Maintenance Manual of Walter M601E (with reference numbers and grapsh) and JSBSim (an open-source flight dynamics model). With those I can model the engine to match all the numbers and graphs during the takeoff, flight and landing - including water injection and IELU (Integrated Electronic Limiter Unit).

The bad news: because of this, I've decided to write the engine model from scratch, based on real engine graphs and data - likewise the An-2. This takes time. And I don't know exactly how much. If I'm lucky, I can re-use code from the An-2 and make it in a relatively short time (about a week), but this is clearly not enough to include all the features I plan to implement to the engine model.

I've been thinking on this for a week and made a tough decision: because I'd like to include this in the first release, I cannot release this plane this year. XP10 is coming too, and there will be lof of new features which I plan to include.

A plane cannot be finished. You just stop working on it. :)

Either way its a win-win situation for us users, we a great plane modelled by a great plane-smith (if there is such a word...), and its ready for the next great release of XP!

I am more than happy to wait..as it seems the AN-2 is getting an upgrade as well!!!!!

Lainte,

Andy

NZCH

• 2 weeks later...

Just blogging.

In past few days, I got back to highschool math. Bezier curves, integral and differential equtations, studied all the available maintenance and operation manuals.

One thing I can say: this engine model will be kick-ass :)

Everything will work like in the real plane. In few days - maybe a week - I'll bring a demo how the engine starting sequence (temperatures, rpm's) looks like.

ooohhhhh, Im soo looking forward to this, and the video would be fantastic!!! As I said before win-win for everyone...including the developer! :)

Was playing with XP10 demo.....found that if I turned AA off and set HDR to FXAA and Global to High then the sim runs really smoothly!!!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Yesterday evening set up my workflow and testing environment for the engine model and entered values from manuals.

I worked a few hours ago, still blind to the real values. Just used numbers from paper graph. I was curious so I take a shot from the graph and placed behind my calculated graph. The red lines are my model's graph, the black lines are the real data.

Not bad for first time. Now begins the tweaking to match the real-word data :)

itt.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ksgy changed the title to Let L-410 UVP-E4 Turbolet