Looking for a Bell Huey or other nice payware Heli

I am trying to find a Bell Huey like those used in Vietnam. Does anyone know if there is a payware version available? The only one I could find was a freeware version on "that other site". If not, I'd like to find a heli of some sort that is an accurate flyer and extremely detailed, preferably with a 3D cockpit. Thanks everyone!

Well, I am a huge fan of brett sumpters work, he made the Huges 500D, the R44, and the chinook... The sikorsky is my favorite, The kamov ka-26. And also there is the EC-135, and the cobra.

Click on the links above! These are all the Helis I know of, with a 3D cockpit that is. I think Air.C74.net has some payware helis aswell. click me!

Hope this helps, you probably already have half already.

-Hampster

Edited by Hampster

lol @ "couple" of liveries :lol:

Your 2 most accurate, detailed helis (with believable/realistic 3D cockpits) are the BK117 (payware) and the H500 (freeware).

Next choices are the Dreamfoil Bell 206 (hard) or soon-to-be Robinson R44.

In the works a decent MD902, but there's no realistic Huey as yet unless you're okay with a 2D panel or cartoony 3D from v8.64.

I love the Chinook! I find it a very easy flier and have been using it mostly to learn on. I can't wait to turn off the "roll-stabilty augmentation" in joystick settings once I get more experience with these whirling top bladed contraptions. Thanks for all the other links. Could someone post a link for the BK117? My googlerthingy seems brokened! :)

EDIT: Found it :)

Edited by FlightSimElectronics

Thanks! I am currently downloading the EC-135 and something that caught my eye was a little plugin for it that said "The plugin fixes the overdone plunge down by loss of translational lift in X-Plane." I read about this effect but sometimes I am ready to pull my hair out because I can't seem to get landing these whirlybirds under my belt. So, is X-plane at fault here? Is there something I can/should do to other models (like the Chinook) to fix this?

Also getting the Sikorsky and will most likely purchase the BK117, although I can't believe the EC-135 is freeware, so we'll see.

As per my original post concerning a Vietnam era Huey, the freeware one is the only one I can find. It is pretty awesome for freeware but man it is tough to fly.

Landing these things takes lots and lots of practice. Getting it down from forward flight to a descent into a flare and then into a hover is like learning to ride a bike. One day it'll "happen."

X-plane IS at fault, it's really exaggerated the ETL (exit-translation-lift) which is why we need these plugins to sort it. Without the plugin, you'd find coming to a halt from forward flight results in a sudden need to give a huge amount of collective/throttle to stay in the air.

And half the time you'll still lose. We've all been there.....

The EC135 cockpit is "okay." You'd never mistake it for being sat in the real thing. Now the BK117...... about as realistic as it gets.

Ha, it really is a no-brainer.

I'm working on a comparison article for xplane versus fsx helicopters, and I have to admit that Nil's interior wipes any of the FSX stuff away! and check out the seats ot the Dodosim, that's freeware quality. I don't notice those issues once operating though, as the flight model and sound is so cool, too busy trying to stay alive to marvel at polygons.

post-913-0-22990800-1314849029_thumb.jpg

post-913-0-37455500-1314848982_thumb.jpg

I can't understand why everyone ommit about the Dreamfoil's 206, one of the best chopper aviable ..

About the UH-1 Huey, I'm one of those who want it, at any cost ( Vietnam War Era )

I've started a topic there, my user name is " caliber5verm " ( http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=48423 )

I never understand why every dev choose last generation helicopter, with glass cockpit etc .. the Huey is the most iconic helicopter in the world, every heli pilot should have at least heard about it ...

It's like wrestling with a snake, which bites every chance it gets cos you're still looking to see what it did 3 seconds ago.

Yeah, great practice..... ;)

If I ever find myself in a Bell Textron showroom with a wad of money, someone kick my butt outta there before I buy something stoopid....

Edited by Nicola_M