My thoughts on the ixeg 737

First of all I find myself in a position where I must retract on certain posts .

Just had time to look at the web page selling the ixeg 737 and i notice that it mentions down near the bottom of the page that manuals and tutorials are included in documentation --- call me old fashioned but i would be looking for these under " manuals " and or " tutorials " ------ i have spent most of my time since I converted to X Plane flying the 172 VFR --- I used to fly jets IFR when I was using FS98 and FS X --- in FS 98 ( may be wrong with the edition number it`s son long ago ) we had something like EFASS and Plan G and you could fly the flight plan including SIDS and STARS using the AP and it was something I got used to --- but in X Plane it was different and I did venture into IFR in X Plane on VATSIM and I found myself floundering and with not enough time to enter a new learning curve and never enough time to fly the hours that I used to fly -- so -- I went  back to VFR and the 172 and mostly on VATSIM I was flying circuits  .

The ixeg 737 has come along at just the right time for me --i have a little bit more time now to relearn ----- and now i have the need for manuals and tutorials whereas I didn`t before --- let me say that the ixeg 737 is absolutely stunning in every way possible --- and I am hoping that the patch has fixed most of the teething problems although I am reluctant to download and apply because of my experiences last week . I hope that they can sell 25,000 copies which is $ 1,875,000 --- that would really put them in business and god knows what they could do then ----- don`t know --- is 25,000 overstretched --- they do deserve to sell that number because it is easily one of the best FS AC ever produced !

FMC --- I didn`t realize that you have to use the slash key to enter the OAT ie \ 55 --- but i understand that you don`t have to use the + or - key so i don`t know how the FMC knows whether the OAT is plus or minus .

I couldn`t confirm the v speeds --- and then I did something which enabled me to do so --- don`t know what it was that I had not entered ---- probably an incorrect wieght or something -- will persevere with this and report back when I know what I did wrong .

Route --- was entering egcc to egll --- unable to enter HON so had to miss that fix off ---- will try to find out where I went wrong with that one and report back if I find out what was wrong .

There are some very very good videos on YOUTUBE now ----- there was one by Osamah Alabdullah ---- I think he was flying out of a german airport ( think it was Munich ) and much of his flight was at night ----- he was asked on YOUTUBE what the scenery was but answered he would post another video about scenery next week --- does anyone know what the scenery was because it was stunning ?

I am still annoyed about being charged for the Mike Ray Download Manual --- I would have eagerly paid more for a hard copy if they had refunded but to buy a hard copy now will mean that I have paid far too much --- even if they had charged me for an upgrade it would have been ok --- anyway -- I will think twice before I buy form them again .

This is what I have done --- I opened up the tutorials and copied without the pictures manually to save printer ink and paper and printed on something like half the pages ---- could I help by posting these pages or would that  be infringeing copyright ?

What I may do is to issue a tutorial in list form like i did before by using Mike Rays tutorials  --- they are on the org site somewhere . It will be a quick guide with a sample route .

I must spend more time learning how to enter fuel etc etc --- I think i have got the route thing sorted --- oh yes ---- how do you enter a hold in the FMC if asked by ATC to hold when for instance you are near your destination .

Saw a video yesterday --- a TBM being flown to airport in Florida for an annual check and some ---- and I sat there thinking how much I miss RW flying --- so --- thank god for X Plane and the ixeg 737 --- well worth the 6 years wait ---- HATS OFF TO IXEG AND THE TEAM ---- Jans tutorials are excellent although a closer view of the FMS would have been helpful when entering information !

• Upvote 2

Hiya,

Regarding Osamah's sceneries, it's a pita but on a lot of his vids he does put which sceneries he uses

I can tell you now the vast majority i saw were payware, so they soon add up to plenty of dollars lol

If you do ask him on yt in the comments he does usually replay fast if he has time

And of course he takes onboard peoples requests when he can or it's something he hasn't previously covered

I think like most, he's just enjoying the new bird hehe

The fms/c whatever the term is threw me right off the bat, this plane was my first payware, only used to creating and loading fms plans in free/donate-ware planes

So this fancy setup i was almost in the dark from the get-go

Stuck with it, now with navigraph and simbrief etc i'm getting there

I'm just replicating his EGCC ENBR run off his vid

Third time lol, first i had to shutdown pc as i forgot to turn water rad fans on so things got a wee bit warm, second, well, i went afk for a java run, got chatting to the boss 'her' lol, had to come down like a brick to lose alt, then to cap it, i hadn't set the airport altitude so i was still somewhat too high and fast

This time, looks good so far, 10mins out of manchester, flying over my area of the world now

Have Fun

Tony

The airport featured in Osamah's video is EDDM from the X-Plane Gateway. That airport can be downloaded directly from there, or if you prefer, it will appear as a default airport in X-Plane 10.50. It is a good example of the quality we are starting to see on the Gateway for large International airports, which will be making their way into the core product.

Osamah has added a more recent video to his YouTube channel, which discusses the Gateway, and specifically covers the airport in question. I recommend checking it out.

Julian Lockwood

X-Plane Gateway Architect and Moderator

Laminar Research

Edited by julianlockwood
  • Upvote 1

I downloaded EDDM -- truly magnificent ---- but now I can`t find my x plane discs and I had not loaded Germany x plane scenery so the airport is surrounded by water ------ can`t find my discs apart the one which is already in the disc drive ---- and that scenery is on disc 4 ---- can I download scenery from the x plane site ?

someone directed me to alpilot --- if I download from there do I need the original scenery that would have come with x plane or will the alpilot be stand alone scenery that does not need anything underneath it ?? And is this the scenery which Osamah is flying over ??

Sorry to be such a plank losing my discs --- they are here SOMEWHERE !!!

Had enough ---- lost count of the number of hours that I have wasted so far .

Today -----loaded EGLL to EGCC into FMC 

No 1. Couldn`t find a SID for 27 R in the FMC

No. 2.Thought I would dep 09L --- INVALID ENTRY

So back for 27 R dep

how can I save that plan as a company route ?

No 3. Taxied out to 27 R where I decided I would set up the AP ---- stopped at one point then tried to continue and it would not maove as though the brakes were on --- fiddled and fiddled eventually was able to move

No. 4 The windows for speed , heading etc etc etc were blinking on and off and was totally unable to tune any heading or speeds or anything else

Pressed exit . I am trying really hard to fly this AC but whenever I do something else goes wrong .

I have not downloaded the patch because I am afraid of it doing what it did last time and I had to redownload and reinstall the AC all over again .

I will not be rude and start shouting again --- but I have come up against yet another brick wall --- 75 dollars spent plus what I spent on a manual that I didn`t want or need and despite the fact that in law you usually have 7 days cool off period and refunds should be accepted within the 7 days I wonder if this applies to downloads so I am stuffed --- and I wouldn`t actually mind if Cameron asked me for another £ 5.00 to be upgraded to the hard copy version --- but no --- I am just left hanging --- sorry guys to be moaning yet again --- but I have had enough and I am usually a very patient and fair kind of person .

• Downvote 1

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I suggest you wait a few days and recommend you grab the upcoming hotfix 1.0.3 when ready!  In the mean time I really suggest you study the many professional tutorial videos we have made and many others have uploaded on how to fly this aircraft and use of systems.  Those say more than a thousand words in manuals to non-professional users. After this I'm confident that things will improve greatly for you and we will then all try to help you out if things still are not working for you.

I really do not think that the blinking on and off of the heading ,speed , altitude etc windows will be in a manual nor the fact that the AC would not move when parking brake was on and power was increasing and that at one point only one of the thrust levers would advance by using the throttle lever on my throttle quadrant and this happened after I couldn`t move forward --- both throttles were working then ---- I have been reading manuals which are a great help and I have seen a lot of youtube videos --- but I believe ( and I could be wrong of course ) that these problems are problems with the AC model itself --- bugs in other words --- hey ho ---- I`ll see what happens when the hotfix 1.0.3 is ready and with us !!!

1 hour ago, ptwparkinson said:

I really do not think that the blinking on and off of the heading ,speed , altitude etc windows will be in a manual nor the fact that the AC would not move when parking brake was on and power was increasing and that at one point only one of the thrust levers would advance by using the throttle lever on my throttle quadrant and this happened after I couldn`t move forward --- both throttles were working then ---- I have been reading manuals which are a great help and I have seen a lot of youtube videos --- but I believe ( and I could be wrong of course ) that these problems are problems with the AC model itself --- bugs in other words --- hey ho ---- I`ll see what happens when the hotfix 1.0.3 is ready and with us !!!

You most likely flicked the "light test" switch on by accident.

I really wonder if there is something amiss with your computer, because the problems you are describing are pretty much not seconded by anyone else?

I hope you can figure it out, Jan

• Upvote 1

Sound like flight hardware compatibility issues to me. I have the blinking mcp lights issue because of my GoFlight MCP. I just need to hit a few buttons to sync everything up properly. Mostly works but I have only been doing manual flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/3/2016 at 10:04 PM, Ben Russell said:

Three.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Not sure how it's a silly question, it would be interesting to see how many copies have been sold seeing how big of a release this plane is to the community.

If you can't be polite about things maybe you shouldn't respond.

11 minutes ago, blizzard84 said:

Speaking of politeness, I think what Ben was getting at was in the same way it's impolite to ask about one's income, it's a similar situation here.

The answer directly to your question is: we aren't going to be disclosing sales figures. There's a lot, and we're happy about it, but that's all there is to really say. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

Speaking of politeness, I think what Ben was getting at was in the same way it's impolite to ask about one's income, it's a similar situation here.

The answer directly to your question is: we aren't going to be disclosing sales figures. There's a lot, and we're happy about it, but that's all there is to really say. :)

I don't care about the sales figure, I was just curious about the number of planes sold. If the devs wish to keep that number a secret because they don't want people to know their income, fine. It's just impressive the amount of liveries, reviews, videos, etc. this release has created, which naturally triggered my curiosity on how many virtual hangers this has filled.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blizzard84 said:

I don't care about the sales figure, I was just curious about the number of planes sold.

sales figures  (seɪlz ˈfɪɡəz) 

Definitions

plural noun

1. the amount of sales of something within a particular time frame

4 hours ago, blizzard84 said:

Not sure how it's a silly question, it would be interesting to see how many copies have been sold seeing how big of a release this plane is to the community.

If you can't be polite about keeping your nose out of our financial matters please don't post.

I'm only responding in kind.

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Ben Russell said:

If you can't be polite about keeping your nose out of our financial matters please don't post.

I'm only responding in kind.

Not trying to start a flame, but asking about sales figures is not being impolite, it's just being curious. Many people,  including the press and news articles, ask this to major companies such as apple. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, poodster said:

Not trying to start a flame, but asking about sales figures is not being impolite, it's just being curious. Many people,  including the press and news articles, ask this to major companies such as apple. 

Apple and all public companies are required to make public their results/balances and everyone in the world has the right to know such information to invest on them or not.

Asking a private business how many copies they sold could have very good intentions but unfortunately they response could harm them badly. So it is just fine they reserve their right not to make this information public the same way anyone could ask you about your family bank account statement, salary, etc. and you keep it private. Laminar doesn't make public how many xplane copues they have sold, no one makes this information public. Unless public companies as said above.

• Upvote 2

Just now, mmerelles said:

Apple and all public companies are required to make public their results/balances and everyone in the world has the right to know such information to invest on them or not.

Asking a private business how many copies they sold could have very good intentions but unfortunately they response could harm them badly. So it is just fine they reserve their right not to make this information public the same way anyone could ask you about your family bank account statement, salary, etc. and you keep it private. Laminar doesn't make public how many xplane copues they have sold, no one makes this information public. Unless public companies as said above.

I understand that they won't release the numbers, but I wouldn't say that asking that question would be impolite. Some people just don't know.

9 minutes ago, poodster said:

So how much do you get paid? Where do you work? What position do you hold?

Fun, isn't it.

• Downvote 3

Just now, poodster said:

I understand that they won't release the numbers, but I wouldn't say that asking that question would be impolite. Some people just don't know.

I do not know how old are you but you do not go your office team mates asking how much they earn. this is impolite in the business world. Yes you can ask, but you shouldn't

Just now, Ben Russell said:

So how much do you get paid? Where do you work? What position do you hold?

Fun, isn't it.

I'm ofcourse not going to answer it, although I would answer where I work and position in a private chat (unless its a position I can't tell), but I'm not going to be rude against the guy asking me it. 

2 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

I do not know how old are you but you do not go your office team mates asking how much they earn. this is impolite in the business world. Yes you can ask, but you shouldn't

I know you are never supposed to ask how much you make. I'm well old enough to know that. But I would never respond in a rude fasion. To the person above who was asking, I would say. "We won't disclose that information". A simple and not rude response.

Edited by poodster
  • Upvote 1