Oversensitive toe brakes ?

Jojo38000

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else thought that the toe brakes were extremely sensitive ? I am using a rudde pedal which has two independent axis to control those brakes, and it's impossible to go straight unless I slam the brakes to their maximum braking power. 

Here is a video from YouTube that illustrates what I'm talking about :

https://youtu.be/lQqywpGKOX0

(Happens around the 49th minute)

Maybe this is working as designed, as I've never flown one of those I can't tell. Just want to have an expert opinion about that.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Edited by Jojo38000

I am using a rudder pedal too and my feeling is that when trying to use the toe-breaks to slightly reduce speed before a turn, the breaks hit in once i am well above let s say 30% of the axis length and hit in pretty strong, so that it becomes rather a hard breaking instead of a soft adjustment. Anyone else has that or could it be due to my axis sensitivities or other?

6 minutes ago, donoscar said:

I am using a rudder pedal too and my feeling is that when trying to use the toe-breaks to slightly reduce speed before a turn, the breaks hit in once i am well above let s say 30% of the axis length and hit in pretty strong, so that it becomes rather a hard breaking instead of a soft adjustment. Anyone else has that or could it be due to my axis sensitivities or other?

Braking strength is actually something we don't tamper with in our code so that would possibly be a hardware calibration issue.

• Upvote 1

I confirm it is not the hardware, it is the IXEG software. I too have this problem and so far I slow down only with thrust reversers down to 60, and even then the tow breaking throws the plane sideways. Please look into it, IXEG team. Toe breaking at taxi speeds is ok.

5 minutes ago, alexzar14 said:

I confirm it is not the hardware, it is the IXEG software. I too have this problem and so far I slow down only with thrust reversers down to 60, and even then the tow breaking throws the plane sideways. Please look into it, IXEG team. Toe breaking at taxi speeds is ok.

It is actually a different issue (braking effectiveness vs differential braking effect), but your complaint will be fixed in the next update (tweak to yaw-effect of differential braking).

I do recomend (as do the airlines!) to use the autobrake for slowing down, only using the rudder to steer. Most people will not be able to brake symmetrically (I still can´t after 20 years), leading to too much brake on one side, with deflected pedals to the other side - resulting in overheating brakes on one side.

Some people say that this is attributed to driving a stick-shift car, where the left foot is conditioned to stomp on the clutch, and the right foot is more sensitive with brakes and gas...

Jan

@Litjan, I know it's probably not near your focus right now (and it shouldn't, really) but do you think that anytime in the future you guys can take a look at why the X-Toebrake2Yaw plugin doesn't work with the 733? It's the only aircraft that shows this behaviour.

* I really wish I could buy me some nice rudder pedals, but even a basic Saitek one costs a fortune for us in Brazil (specially right now). :(

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

It is actually a different issue (braking effectiveness vs differential braking effect), but your complaint will be fixed in the next update (tweak to yaw-effect of differential braking).

I do recomend (as do the airlines!) to use the autobrake for slowing down, only using the rudder to steer. Most people will not be able to brake symmetrically (I still can´t after 20 years), leading to too much brake on one side, with deflected pedals to the other side - resulting in overheating brakes on one side.

Some people say that this is attributed to driving a stick-shift car, where the left foot is conditioned to stomp on the clutch, and the right foot is more sensitive with brakes and gas...

Jan

Thanks for the tip! Until what speeds do you recommend to use the autobrakes (what would you do in real life)?

1 hour ago, K4bel123 said:

Thanks for the tip! Until what speeds do you recommend to use the autobrakes (what would you do in real life)?

I'm sure Jan will chip in here but I'll tell you what both my 737 and 777 guys recommend which is autobrakes out once you're down to taxi speed - so 25kts there or thereabouts. Also you may be taking a high speed exit, so perhaps a bit higher. Taxiing in the sim is a lot harder than in real life, albeit much easier in X-Plane than FSX as the ground drag model is a lot better. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Benweston said:

I'm sure Jan will chip in here but I'll tell you what both my 737 and 777 guys recommend which is autobrakes out once you're down to taxi speed - so 25kts there or thereabouts. Also you may be taking a high speed exit, so perhaps a bit higher. Taxiing in the sim is a lot harder than in real life, albeit much easier in X-Plane than FSX as the ground drag model is a lot better. 

Spot on.

Jan

Yeah I am still having twitchy issues when manual braking. SWA doesn't even use the autobrakes on their airplanes. My issue seems to be more me fighting the airplane to slow it down even with an autobrake 3 setting. The trick is to easily step on the toe brakes as they are quite sensitive, they are far more effective than the autobrakes though.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Favignano said:

Yeah I am still having twitchy issues when manual braking. SWA doesn't even use the autobrakes on their airplanes. My issue seems to be more me fighting the airplane to slow it down even with an autobrake 3 setting. The trick is to easily step on the toe brakes as they are quite sensitive, they are far more effective than the autobrakes though.

Hey Jeff (love your channel BTW), I don't believe this is true anymore. Trying to find a source...

12 minutes ago, sizziano said:

Hey Jeff (love your channel BTW), I don't believe this is true anymore. Trying to find a source...

it may be different now but I know it used to be part of their policy to not use autobrakes. Besides that point, I am still having issues with oversensitive manual brakes even after the latest patch. Thanks btw, glad you like the channel :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Favignano said:

it may be different now but I know it used to be part of their policy to not use autobrakes. Besides that point, I am still having issues with oversensitive manual brakes even after the latest patch. Thanks btw, glad you like the channel :)

It'll be fixed next hotfix

15 hours ago, deimos256 said:

I've found toe braking to be overly sensitive in X-Plane as a whole and not just with this addon.   What's worse is there is no way to adjust dead zone or even sensitivity for the axes.  

Had the same problem in Xplane since v9, using the saitek rudder pedals...still havent found a fix for it.

Wish ixeg would make a code for the braking system itself to overcome this problem...or that laminar would fix it.

"Would love to see sensitivity slider or curve for the brake axes like how the other axes have it set"

Edited by P3R

Here is a friendly suggestion for those who can live without deferential braking.

Define two keys for hold regular and max braking, ive changed x-planes default "b" and "v" from "toogle" to "hold"

In saitek's "smart" something software set left and right toe to use "bands".

Ive set mine like this:

0-15% - no input

15-95% - key b (hold regular braking)

95-100% - key v (max braking)

Remember to activate your profile.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2