Sooo.. who tried a manual CAT I approach yet?

Morten

fun and scary.. hehe. Worked perfect the 1st time I tried... flare was great.. setup both pilot and copilot. But wasn't unsure if it was correct. But I saw the flare text, so I assume was alright.

Still getting used to, because I'm descending quite fast. I'm still learning and really enjoying from starting to shutdown... ... (have to plan descend better)... :D

Thanks.

---

sorry manual means no A/P ? (english not 1st lang.) :huh:

Edited by Celis

I haven't tried that yet because I fly with real weather and sadly until now the weather was too good :lol:. But I'm gonna try this out this weekend for sure if time permits. Undoubtedly your flightmodel and avionics are outstanding so I should have a good chance for not having to go-around ;)

39 minutes ago, Morten said:

No, poor visibility manual approach and landing, autopilot is for wimps ;)  Set ceiling at 200' agl  Follow the flight director (manually) down the ILS until 200' agl, then you see the runway and land. (CAT I)

Flight Directors are for wimps ;)

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Flight Directors are for wimps ;)

Hi, I'm surprised to see you didn't try this on Twitch yet - I gather you may not have X-Plane yet? Not that I want to pressure you, I'm just looking forward to such a stream :)

Your take would be especially interesting since you have flight simming experience, and (if I am not mistaken), you fly a 737 Classic in real life?

Regards,

Tim

4 hours ago, Rodeo said:

Hi, I'm surprised to see you didn't try this on Twitch yet - I gather you may not have X-Plane yet? Not that I want to pressure you, I'm just looking forward to such a stream :)

Your take would be especially interesting since you have flight simming experience, and (if I am not mistaken), you fly a 737 Classic in real life?

Regards,

Tim

Hey Tim,

I will hopefully stream a flight soon, maybe late next week. I have X-plane though, I was on the Beta team :). Yeah I fly the Classic and the NG 

Regards

Shifty 

• Upvote 1

Alright, this post inspired me to do a quick attempt at manual approaches in bad weather. My current cloud setup is better suited to flying in nicer weather and doesn't quite meet the requirements set out by @Morten, but it's still pretty gloomy. I may have to install Skymaxx for these approaches again..

I don't think it's something I've done much of before and it was pretty demanding. Especially during the windier approach, I had a lot of trouble staying on track.
Once I ended up seeing the runway, I just wanted to get her down and landing technique went out the window :D

That said, I found it to be fun and definitely something I will (and have to) practice more. Here's two videos if anyone is interested:

Edited by dr_nerdrage

57 minutes ago, Tim013 said:

I was a little nervous on the second one: full GS deflection at 300 feet :o.  That had a little pucker factor to it I'm sure.

Absolutely. The pucker factor cannot be understated :D 

I should have gone around by then but that's when the runway popped up and I figured I could make it. Bad decision making in the middle of the night 101.