The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

The texture looks amazingly realistic, metal looks like metal should, and even small details on the gear and the undercarriage are visible, and true to life. Everything looks so convincing. Kudos! 

The only thing that remains is to recruit someone to make the livery of Olympic Airways :P

Edited by ktomais

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, with much delay (after a rainy vacation in Turkey), here is the next sneak-peak at our beloved 733.

Todays video is featuring the "Speed trim" functionality. While I explain very shortly in the video, here is the lowdown on the system:

The speedtrim system was implemented by Boeing because the 737 can exhibit poor speed stability at very low speeds and high thrust settings (i.e. after a go-around). The nose-up moment of the engines can be stronger than the aerodynamic nose-down tendency for speed loss, so its possible that the airplane would get into very low speed regime with an unattentive pilot.

Boeing has therefore tasked the flight-control-computer with watching the speed trend in certain situations. If they detect that the speed is going up or down, they will utilize the autopilot stabilizer trim to combat this trend.

The pilot will sometimes be surprised, because the plane seems to "work against" him. He pushes the nose down to accelerate, and the bleedin´ plane trims nose-up again? What gives? Well, it works as designed.

To avoid fighting with the speed-trim, use the electrical trim switches on the yoke. This will send a new target speed to the speed-trim mechanism, and will also disable speed trim for 5 seconds.

Another way to disable it is to push the yoke in opposition to trim movement. This will ALWAYS cut out the autopilot trim, and also the speed-trim. Of course when you release the yoke, it goes right at it again. smile.png

Here are the engagement criteria for speed-trim:

- Flaps not up

- Airspeed 100-300 KIAS

- 10 sec after lift-off

- 5 sec after releasing trim switches

- N1 above 60%

- Autopilot not engaged

- Sensing of trim requirement

Here is the video:

Jan

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Todays video is featuring the "Speed trim" functionality. While I explain very shortly in the video, here is the lowdown on the system:

I find your videos both intuitive and informative. You have a calm nice voice that makes watching and learning a true joy.

Sure wish you continue to make these kind of videos, not just to show new features etc but  for pure educational purpose after the release.

So thank you very much Jan, I for one love them all.

• 3 weeks later...

HOOOOOOOLYYYY SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!

The rainy takeoff video is "too much to take"

That rain looks amazing! just not some compromise, it looks really really good! I didn´t think that was possible and still have that performace due to particle system.

Nice to see the fmc lines as well!

This addon will be the king of kings!

• Downvote 1

Had some Photoshop fun this morning and made a panoramic/fisheye view of the cockpit smile.png

It was made up by 14 screenshots stitched together.  It gives you a good view of the cockpit from above and

shows many detals and layout of the cockpit you don't really see on "normal" shots or videos.

(like if you need to extend the gear manually, note the hatch below the fire extinguisher with the handles inside)

Click pic for higher res.

Panorama1.jpg

Edited by Morten IXEG
  • Upvote 9