The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

The autopilot is a great tool, and the flight-director can be used to improve your precision, but there are situations were both are inappropriate. The visual part of a non-precision approach is one of those.

Jan

Thanks Jan, from seeing lots of aviation cockpit films I noticed that the flight director is normally turned on.

But I just checked my real company checklist for the 737-300 by Norwegian (05/07/2012 Tempo Rev: 01/R15) and it

does not mention the Flight Director as a checklist item at all.

So I guess it is optional and should be used as required i.e on a non-precision approch as you mentioned Jan.

C'mon IXEG i'm drooling, I can't sleep, I need to fly this plane.

Quoting what Tom said almost one month ago:

Not much to tell.  With the 3D very close to completion, we are focusing on the FMS.    Being this is our first project and not having the benefit of being involved in FMS programming prior/leveraging others code or reusing our own existing code yet, we are having to create the FMS from scratch.....and well, it takes a while.  I expect things to be very quiet on the forums for some time while we continue on this path as there will be nothing to show until its complete.   I will say we are well into it though and moving along predictably.  Do not think that lack of screenshots or updates of visual items means the product is stalled.   This programming thing will go on for a few months yet.

When the FMS is finished; however, we will begin the "wrapping up process", which involves punchlist 3D items,  beta testing, document proofreading, marketing, tutorial development, distribution infrastructure and will easily take several months also.  We are on the home stretch, but its a long one.

TomK

Some months for the FMS programming then several months for beta testing and other: I think we'll have to wait until the end of 2014, maybe it will be ready just for Christmas.

I see that the last four video are made a couple of months after the first serie of four. Does is mean that the IXEG B737 have a cusom made 'save situation' or does the default 'save situation' the trick.

To tell you the truth, I haven´t even tried to save a flight, I am not sure if all the custom dataref values are saved correctly - I would doubt it, but will try soon, curious myself.

I "continued" the flight from a few months ago by recreating the same situation - and have done so for some of the other videos as well, I am sure if you really watch closely, you might catch some things that are a bit different between "takes" like the time, the fuel, etc.

As for the release date - your guess is as good as mine, really. It´s like forecasting the arrival time when you travel in your car, but have really no idea what the traffic will be like. You know the distance, but you don´t know the speed :wacko: .

I can promise that we won´t hold it back when it´s done - but we won´t release before that point in time, either.

Jan

• Upvote 1

Curious to know if the plane would be configured as fully ready when selecting i.e. 10nm final in x-plane startup - So as far as saved situations goes, really curious on that..

Second, without turning this into a wish list (rather see the aircraft get released he he) but I love how third party vehicle is done in i.e other aircrafts such as the might 777, 757 and the airbus neo

Will there be a) included or B) somthing to wish for in let say a standalone addon package

PS.. If this is already ask and answered, please appologies as I have not seen it.

Edited by Tom Knudsen

Curious to know if the plane would be configured as fully ready when selecting i.e. 10nm final in x-plane startup - So as far as saved situations goes, really curious on that..

Second, without turning this into a wish list (rather see the aircraft get released he he) but I love how third party vehicle is done in i.e other aircrafts such as the might 777, 757 and the airbus neo

Will there be a) included or B) somthing to wish for in let say a standalone addon package

PS.. If this is already ask and answered, please appologies as I have not seen it.

I tried some of that - when going to a 10nm final the aircraft will be at 170kts, but with flaps retracting from 5 to up. If you are quick, you can reselect flaps 5. And be pretty stabilized - definitely possible to do an approach from that setup. Of course the gear is down and the parking brake still set, so if you don´t release that, be prepared for a pretty short landing roll and some hot brakes!

I also tried the "save situation" - but it does not capture any of the custom datarefs. So you would get the same position and speed and configuration - but most of the switch positions go back to the default you get when just loading the aircraft.

I haven´t talked to the team about this, there might be a way to adress this. But of course its possible to set all the switches into the desired positions real quick as well. I haven´t missed the "save situation" yet, I find it easy to position the aircraft where I want it with the local map (pos, alt, heading, speed), then turn on the AP and autothrottle real quick, raise the gear, and voilá...

We are going to provide ground vehicles to go along with our aircraft, there is already a GPU, a HP air starter and a pushback truck. I have to ask our artist´s permission to show them (already did a screenshot), because we don´t have the "wires" running from the GPU to the plane yet (Tom needs to cut the fuselage to make the ground-service receptacle).

The vehicles will appear out of "nowhere" and disappear again when not used, so no fancy drive-up simulation - we feel the sight of a truck passing through buildings and other objects is not acceptable. There might be more elegant solutions, but as you said, we don´t want to delay release any more than necessary.

Jan

• Upvote 2

Here is where i got stuck, could you not make custom Datarefs for saved situations?

Hi,

I think, it would be necessary to store all dataref values in a seperate file save1.txt and load all values on situation load. 

But that might be many rows of code to get that working.

I don't know how many custom datarefs are used on the 737, but I think it will be some (10^x) for all this very nice details.

Cheers

Daniel 

Hi,

I think, it would be necessary to store all dataref values in a seperate file save1.txt and load all values on situation load. 

But that might be many rows of code to get that working.

I don't know how many custom datarefs are used on the 737, but I think it will be some (10^x) for all this very nice details.

Cheers

Daniel 

Currently 994 and counting.

And yes, saving ald loading all of those + the hundreds of internal variables, tables and system states that currently don't write to a custom dataref is quite a bit of work and not a v1.0 priority.

AWESOME guys! Nice to know that you have that low frequency CFM56 howl (at minute mark 1:54-1:57)!

Thanks for noticing, we spend a lot of effort to get the sounds just right, it is very important to me, because if it doesn´t sound just right, it will immedietly burst my bubble of "being there" :-)

Jan

And where exactly did you notice that and what facts do you base these assumptions on?

When the 737 is vacating runway... 

Let me show you this: I made this picture vacating the runway at more or less the speed of 737,more speed and you can´t even make the turn...

0c1a2b5fac31c0e11303c6ae0c998433o.jpg

As you can see, it tends to tilt due to inertia, and obviously this is not real aircraft. I made this pic to show you, that in fact ,xplane makes it...

(Not head plugin as you can see because it is on 2d view,if you have 727 Fjs,you´ll see that pneumatic brake handle is not shown)