The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

Well, I can´t make any new videos yet, because not everyone that saw the first part has also seen all the other parts. So I have to be courteous and wait until those "viewed x times" on all four even up, to give everyone the time to watch them in these busy pre-Christmas times. :P .

Jan

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, for me you really can take your time ;-) Because i have the feeling that right now there are already too much complex aircrafts that need so much time to learn. I have them all: Q400, CRJ200, B727, A320 Jar, B757 FF, Saab 340...i just printed out about 900 pages of the manual of the B757. My God....i will need some months to learn most of this complex aircraft. And when i am flying another one i need once again some time to remember how it works ;-)

The actual X-Plane 10 experience is just incredible ! Since a few weeks i am just totally euphoric :-)

So a release during summer of this wonderful 737 would be fine for me ;-)

Cheers

François

Edited by frankbyte
  • Upvote 1

Because i have the feeling that right now there are already too much complex aircrafts that need so much time to learn

Well we have some thoughts on that.   One thing that you get with a "boeing license'...is a license to not only put the boeing name on your product, but also use boeing copyrighted material, including pilot handbooks.  Most developers do not like writing customized documentation...it is absolutely tedious work.  You need a template, standards and guidelines, standardized headers and graphics, a revision management system, etc. etc (yes we have that).  Why do all that when you can just toss the user the real manual and save yourself all that time?  I mean, by skipping customized documentation, you can shave months off your delivery date.

I'll tell you why, because sim users don't hve 1300+ hours of flying experience and dedicated hours of training.  Part of the appeal is having a simulation that you are confident represents the real thing thoroughly, but also having someone show you "the ropes" and walk you through using and enjoying it.  We have desgined into the product a series of training manuals to help newbies jump in right away and get flying as soon as they "open the box" but with opportunity for more tutorials in the future.  This whole hobby isn't just about the simulation itself, its the enjoyment and satisfaction we get from reading, learning, doing and mastering.  We want to help users along the way with that and let them get the most out of it.  That is an immense benefit we get with Jan...you get a real airline pilot with real airline experience who is also a dedicated flight simmer and a natural at teaching to help users get the most of out of the simulation.  The complexity in most of those products in our opionion isn't the complexity of the aircraft, its the complexity of the documentation :)

Here's a snippet from just one of our WIP training booklets.  We'll be shipping with 4 at least, probably more though and will introduce others in the future.

TomK

IXEG

post-5-0-80560200-1390058876_thumb.jpg

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 8

Thank you Tom.  Some developers like to treat users as if the have an ATP rating and years of experience.  Then when the new user asks for help they are told "It's in the manual, read it."  Some just like to get the aircraft into the air and complete a flight without several programmed "gotchas" waiting for them.

"I'll tell you why, because sim users don't have 1300+ hours of flying experience and dedicated hours of training.   The complexity in most of those products in our opinion isn't the complexity of the aircraft, its the complexity of the documentation :)

TomK

IXEG"

Edited by Tsetsoh

Do you think the manual will be released before the aircraft? (so we have time to get ready when the bird arrives)

Maybe, but anyway we strongly recommend you study the video's by Jan.  More will follow.  They teach you all you need to know

to get started and more.  We want you to get flying day 1.  If you are unfamiliar with the 737 or heavies in general, we recommend

first watching the video's, then, when we release the manual/aircraft, start by doing our collection of sample flights tutorials, that start

very basic, once you get the hang of the first one, step on to the next one which will take you one step further in learning, and so on.  

The philosophy is that you learn best by doing  and knowing WHY you are doing it. 

Last, if you are a systems geek, very experienced simmer or pilot, continue with the systems and real manuals, failure scenarios etc.

The real manual is available for free on the net. 

W

• Upvote 2

Really like the way you guys are approaching things and your way of thinking. The inclusion of training/tutorials will be very useful and save so much trial and error in the beginning of learning what is looking like being a very (very) amazing plane.

I've probably watched the recent videos a few thousand times now too. Absolutely brilliant, love the knowledge that jan has too - very thorough and believable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have some thoughts on that.   One thing that you get with a "boeing license'...is a license to not only put the boeing name on your product, but also use boeing copyrighted material, including pilot handbooks.  Most developers do not like writing customized documentation...it is absolutely tedious work.  You need a template, standards and guidelines, standardized headers and graphics, a revision management system, etc. etc (yes we have that).  Why do all that when you can just toss the user the real manual and save yourself all that time?  I mean, by skipping customized documentation, you can shave months off your delivery date.

I'll tell you why, because sim users don't hve 1300+ hours of flying experience and dedicated hours of training.  Part of the appeal is having a simulation that you are confident represents the real thing thoroughly, but also having someone show you "the ropes" and walk you through using and enjoying it.  We have desgined into the product a series of training manuals to help newbies jump in right away and get flying as soon as they "open the box" but with opportunity for more tutorials in the future.  This whole hobby isn't just about the simulation itself, its the enjoyment and satisfaction we get from reading, learning, doing and mastering.  We want to help users along the way with that and let them get the most out of it.  That is an immense benefit we get with Jan...you get a real airline pilot with real airline experience who is also a dedicated flight simmer and a natural at teaching to help users get the most of out of the simulation.  The complexity in most of those products in our opionion isn't the complexity of the aircraft, its the complexity of the documentation :)

Here's a snippet from just one of our WIP training booklets.  We'll be shipping with 4 at least, probably more though and will introduce others in the future.

TomK

IXEG

I love your way of seeing things Tom

Looking forward to this Boeing

• 4 weeks later...

Hey IXEG, can you tell us how far we are from having this masterpiece?? And other question...How can I set white flashlight in xp10? I saw a thousand times last vids "from cold and dark" but I don´t know how... 

I´d like to know how is going the progress...at least a rough idea... Thankss!!!

Edited by Javier

Not much to tell.  With the 3D very close to completion, we are focusing on the FMS.    Being this is our first project and not having the benefit of being involved in FMS programming prior/leveraging others code or reusing our own existing code yet, we are having to create the FMS from scratch.....and well, it takes a while.  I expect things to be very quiet on the forums for some time while we continue on this path as there will be nothing to show until its complete.   I will say we are well into it though and moving along predictably.  Do not think that lack of screenshots or updates of visual items means the product is stalled.   This programming thing will go on for a few months yet.

When the FMS is finished; however, we will begin the "wrapping up process", which involves punchlist 3D items,  beta testing, document proofreading, marketing, tutorial development, distribution infrastructure and will easily take several months also.  We are on the home stretch, but its a long one.

TomK

• Upvote 6

I'm very exxcited about this plane,so don't judge me if I started to plan many intersting routes for it :P

However I need some help here:

"Max cruising speed 908km/h (491kt), long range cruising speed 794km/h (429kt). Range with 128 passengers and standard fuel 3362km (1815nm), range with 128 pax and max fuel 4973km (2685nm). High gross weight version max range 6300km (3400nm) with 140 passengers."

Could you please post some information about what variation is it the ixeg733 is going to be ?