[FAQ]Solution to freeze and stutter using FMC

sthenion

I believe I have isolated where the stutters are coming from, I went through the whole process starting from cold and dark and got the IRS's aligned, route entered and checked, everything except starting the engines.  At this point no pauses, as soon as I started the first engine the pauses began.  This behavior is isolated to this addon specifically, and quite frankly I have to shelf it until the issue is addressed, which is a shame because this has been my favorite addon since the release.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I get micro stutters too, especially on ground while taxing they are noticeable. X-Plane 10 is running on an i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz with a GTX 970. No stutters with other planes.

Today I have installed X-Plane on Linux (same machine) to test if the stutters are related to Windows 10.

First I DID NOT apply the workaround (copy NavData to Navdata) to fix this error:

error:   55.532: Run(timer): fmc_delayed_reset: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
error:   58.464: Run(timer): fmc_periodic: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)

Yep, and I was very happy: No stutters! I could taxing and flying very smoothly.

After fixing this issue: I've got the same stutters as on Windows :-(

Question is: Can this FMC script be the source of the stutters?

Best
Jens

P.S: If you need further help (testing patches), let me know!

1 hour ago, Jens W. said:

Hi all,

I get micro stutters too, especially on ground while taxing they are noticeable. X-Plane 10 is running on an i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz with a GTX 970. No stutters with other planes.

Today I have installed X-Plane on Linux (same machine) to test if the stutters are related to Windows 10.

First I DID NOT apply the workaround (copy NavData to Navdata) to fix this error:

error:   55.532: Run(timer): fmc_delayed_reset: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
error:   58.464: Run(timer): fmc_periodic: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)

Yep, and I was very happy: No stutters! I could taxing and flying very smoothly.

After fixing this issue: I've got the same stutters as on Windows :-(

Question is: Can this FMC script be the source of the stutters?

Best
Jens

P.S: If you need further help (testing patches), let me know!

If you see any error you have no idea what the internal state of the systems are.

It may be much more than those two files that failed to load, init and create workload.

Sorry to say but these results are not much use at all. The problem is well understood already.

If it was a simple one line fix it'd be done already.

2 hours ago, Jens W. said:

Sure, I thought the causing part of the systems may be clearer (FMS) so you could step depper and debug to optimize the code. :) 

It would be so nice to have these stutters removed.

Jens

It would be nice to have the systems stable too. There is little point optimizing things that Tom may re-write entirely.

I have advised them on what I believe to be the cause, it's a "death by thousand cuts" thing. The Garbage Collector cycle adds up to a jittery amount of work.

I know you might be bugged by this topic, but I have to second that the micro-stutters are a showstopper for me. I really LOVE! the IXGE, but this is something pulling down the overall experience. I did everything to get a smooth as possible experience with X-Plane, investing money and much time to spend on the "perfect" setup. Until now it has been worth the effort but the IXGE is the only aircraft which is able to stand up to these efforts.

For me it´s a perfectly athmospheric and flyable aircraft in the current state if only the micro-stutters will be gone, so I would love to see this issue being worked on as high priority.

Thanks and warm regards

Art

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, jack-daniels said:

I was just going crazy, because of the sim freezes. I deactivated win defender weeks ago, but it did re-activate itself, so that the freezes drove me crazy.

I know exlcude the XP folder, however, why can't you completely shutdown win defender ?

Due to microsoft policy, they will keep enabling it during updates, etc.

If you want to forget about the thing, simply put the folder exemption for the entire /xplane 11/ folder.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, marvinlbjr said:

Thank you very much for this post Sir, We all needed this issue solved, thank you once again. Love the aircraft, one question before I sign off. When is there going to be an update to the aircraft so that the doors can open using the pop up window in the 733?

Hard to say - it depends on the rest of the interior to be updated in 3D. My hope is for 1.3 (there should be a sooner interim bugfix-patch 1.21, though).

Cheers, Jan

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2017 at 5:36 PM, Art Vandalay said:

I know you might be bugged by this topic, but I have to second that the micro-stutters are a showstopper for me. I really LOVE! the IXGE, but this is something pulling down the overall experience. I did everything to get a smooth as possible experience with X-Plane, investing money and much time to spend on the "perfect" setup. Until now it has been worth the effort but the IXGE is the only aircraft which is able to stand up to these efforts.

For me it´s a perfectly athmospheric and flyable aircraft in the current state if only the micro-stutters will be gone, so I would love to see this issue being worked on as high priority.

Thanks and warm regards

Art

Dear Architect, try this solution:

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring back this issue! I just purchased the IXEG 737 and have the same issue as mentioned above. However, I don't use an external hard drive. I have X-Plane 11 installed on a Western Digital WD10 Blue 7200RPM so the external hard drive isn't an issue. Moreover, I don't have any anti-virus or Windows Defender active. 

I've been trying this flight for the past two nights where I take off from KBOS and fly into KPHL and mid-flight, when I go and select my STAR as well as approach, the sim starts freezing every other second. The more I use the FMS, the more the freeze. I don't have this problem otherwise, that is, if I don't go in the FMS and play with it mid-flight.

Routing: SSOXS5 SSOXS BUZRD SEY J121 BRIGS VCN9

19 minutes ago, AlphaIndiaRomeo said:

Hi all!

Just tested that flight again and it is as soon as I select the STAR that it starts to freeze... It's quite annoying!

It really sounds like you are still running windows defender or something. be adviced when you reload the computer or update it reactivates if you turned it off. Microsoft is very strict on this.

Are you windows?

Can you try setting a folder exemption for entire /xplane 11/ folder?

When the problem occurs, if you open task manager, is the CPU overloaded? and what process?

• Upvote 1

• Morten unpinned this topic

Yeah, and it may be worth checking if you have antivirus software running that could interfere with the FMS computations. There is some of that going on starting at lift-off, and you may have modified the routing/performance calculation unknowingly (like entering a new weight) and not executing it. So the FMS is constantly recalculating the modified routing. If antivirus checking interferes with this, the slowdown happens.

I know many people are VERY worried about disabling live antivirus checking, and they frown upon excluding a folder from checking, but it may be worth just trying to test if that is the cause. We are still looking at options to remove this adverse effect of database accessing.

Cheers, Jan

Hello,

I have made some tests tonight and can see that, when using IXEG plane, the framerate has a kind of "heart beat" of 1 second.

Each second the framerate drops about 20fps (50fps ->30fps) for a short time and go back to normal again.

I have also tested with standard xplane airplane, with same configuration, and cannot see any "heart beat".

The first picture is for a standard cessna and the second is the IXEG.

I still use IXEG v1.2.

My computer is far from having 100% utilization (both CPU & GPU), so I do not believe that this is the root cause.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour, and maybe found a solution to improve this?

Cheers

Sylvain

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

Edited by Syl20

Hi, that's a known issue since the very first release. See a dedicated thread in the FAQ section. It seems like it depends on the way Gizmo manages the Lua garbage collector. More or less noticeable depending on specific rig configurations. The developers are aware of it and said that there is room for improvement over the next releases.

FYI - take it as a workaround - using v-sync adaptive mode half refresh rate seems to mitigate or even eliminate the effect.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, crisk73 said:

Hi, that's a known issue since the very first release. See a dedicated thread in the FAQ section. It seems like it depends on the way Gizmo manages the Lua garbage collector. More or less noticeable depending on specific rig configurations. The developers are aware of it and said that there is room for improvement over the next releases.

FYI - take it as a workaround - using v-sync adaptive mode half refresh rate seems to mitigate or even eliminate the effect.

For the sake of clarity, it's not how Gizmo manages the GC. It's how the IXEG systems scripts choose to use memory and/or CPU resources.

For example, this has no such effect on the Saab systems.

Cheers...

• Upvote 1

• Litjan unpinned this topic