RWC - Still getting weather pops/changes

iGavB

One thing SMP 3.2 will do is check to see if a newly dropped METAR file actually changed anything or not - and if not, it won't do anything with it.

----------------------------------------------

Just like the real weather, only see weather change in the area I'm in is if a front comes thru or gradual over hours.

I only expect weather to change when flying into a new area with different weather and or out of a fast moving front.

I do not expect to see weather change every 15 minutes just for the sake of seeing new clouds drawn on my screen slowing fps.

Looking forward to smp 3.2

If you fly a lower, slower aircraft you might not want to have to fly 100km in order to pick up updated weather conditions. There's also people who fly little circuits that would never go far enough.

I threw up a question on Facebook about this though, and so far pretty much everyone agrees with you! I think I will make that change.

Keep in mind new weather conditions for the world currently only come in once an hour, so we're not talking about something that happens often here anyhow.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sundog said:

If you fly a lower, slower aircraft you might not want to have to fly 100km in order to pick up updated weather conditions. There's also people who fly little circuits that would never go far enough.

I threw up a question on Facebook about this though, and so far pretty much everyone agrees with you! I think I will make that change.

Keep in mind new weather conditions for the world currently only come in once an hour, so we're not talking about something that happens often here anyhow.

If you pair it with NOAA, FSXREALWX or EFASS you have quicker updates. For the later two you can set the time the weather updates but NOAA updates its weather every time you enter a new weather station ( I think ). Maybe set it as an option to please those that like the instant updates? In any case I'm really happy you've decided to make the change.

Edited by Denco

13 hours ago, Denco said:

Is it possible to do the same when weather gets updated? You know the current drawn clouds stay as they are and are updated only when moving away from them.

It means that if you only fly localy for one hour, the weather may not change.

I mostly fly long distances with airliner (mainly 150 to 200 NM) so I'm mainly interested in this option.

But sometimes I fly locally with helicopter...

Some suggestions/ideas  :

- keep this as an option that we can toggle depending on the type of flight.

- update only the clouds behond x NM from the aircraft (x being a parameter) : would be useful for shorter flights. x could be dynamic, depending on the alitude of the aircraft (lower value for lower altitude)

- make the local weather change more gradual from one metar report to the other ? 

6 hours ago, gcharrie said:

It means that if you only fly localy for one hour, the weather may not change.

I mostly fly long distances with airliner (mainly 150 to 200 NM) so I'm mainly interested in this option.

- make the local weather change more gradual from one metar report to the other ? 

The weather would still change only the clouds would stay he same. The clouds them self could be made to change gradually if a more severe weather change is detected, such as from cloudy weather to rain

On 5/11/2016 at 6:54 PM, sundog said:

I've coded it up as an option that's on by default, so you can choose to have it work either way. It's clear there's no "right answer" to how this should behave.

Awesome! That'll make the circuit flying people happy and the longer haul people happy as well.