IXEG 737 Classic Release Announcement

Cameron

53 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

The arrival time is excellent for me - approximately 12 pm on a cool, cloudy Saturday. Looking forward to spend the rest of the afternoon drooling at the awesome cockpit. Still hoping it comes in a simple .zip file rather than an installer, which makes it very FSX-esque... @Cameron, any opinions?

It will be an Installer. All the X-Aviation products I own are installers that connect to the X-Aviation server. Don't think it will be any different.

yukonpete,

So for eg

I redo a clean x-plane 10 install, before i do, i do the same as i do for smp/rwc, i save the folders (eg: silverlining etc) somewhere, then after a fresh x-plane install i simply place said folders back into correct folder/s ?

Or is it different to smp/rwc ? (hoping it's the same)

I've just found i have been messing up my layering in the custom scenery side of things, so thought i may as well copy a clean x-plane 10 vanilla, and start from scratch with only scenery etc which i need, then slowly start building airports back up

Thanks

Tony

11 minutes ago, Defiance_co said:

yukonpete,

So for eg

I redo a clean x-plane 10 install, before i do, i do the same as i do for smp/rwc, i save the folders (eg: silverlining etc) somewhere, then after a fresh x-plane install i simply place said folders back into correct folder/s ?

Or is it different to smp/rwc ? (hoping it's the same)

I've just found i have been messing up my layering in the custom scenery side of things, so thought i may as well copy a clean x-plane 10 vanilla, and start from scratch with only scenery etc which i need, then slowly start building airports back up

Thanks

Tony

I don't know if you can just save the X-Aviatiojn aircraft's folder and copy it back after a clean install of XP10. I always uninstall the product then reinstall it with the installer. 

15 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

Bit troublesome - once again, reminds me of FSX, which is not necessarily a good thing.

An installer allows for a more reliable and simple installation of complicated packages. It helps ensure that people don't mess anything up. I'm not sure why an installer would be a bad thing, even if it reminds you of FSX.

Just now, Iridium said:

An installer allows for a more reliable and simple installation of complicated packages. It helps ensure that people don't mess anything up. I'm not sure why an installer would be a bad thing, even if it reminds you of FSX.

Reliable and simple - if the users in question use default settings for everything and don't tweak. That doesn't apply to a large proportion of X-Plane users, as well as those who would like to move their directories around, or move computers altogether. That 'complicated package' you mention could be simplified equally as well as an installer, by compressing the aircraft into an archive, and distributing it that way. If scenery packages at the .org as well as planes themselves are distributed this way, with no real repercussion to users, I see no real reason why the 737 Classic needs an installer (or the PMDG DC-6, by the looks of it). Decompressing an archive is equally 'reliable and simple' as clicking through an installer, if not more so.

2 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

Reliable and simple - if the users in question use default settings for everything and don't tweak. That doesn't apply to a large proportion of X-Plane users, as well as those who would like to move their directories around, or move computers altogether. That 'complicated package' you mention could be simplified equally as well as an installer, by compressing the aircraft into an archive, and distributing it that way. If scenery packages at the .org as well as planes themselves are distributed this way, with no real repercussion to users, I see no real reason why the 737 Classic needs an installer (or the PMDG DC-6, by the looks of it). Decompressing an archive is equally 'reliable and simple' as clicking through an installer, if not more so.

Well here's a very simple one just for a start.

The aircraft goes in one folder and the plugin goes in another.

Additionally, the plugin needs to be upgraded from what everyone has.

Most people don't want to deal with this. You're free to start your own venture if you believe otherwise and we look forward to seeing you in the market proving us wrong.

14 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

The aircraft goes in one folder and the plugin goes in another.

Not questioning your expertise, @Ben Russell, but I believe aircraft and scenery packages sold elsewhere, that use your own plugin (Gizmo), as well as others like GroundTraffic and AutoGate have the plugins in question built into the package, such as FlightFactor's planes and MisterX6's scenery packages. Can't the 737 Classic do this as well? Once again, one of X-Plane's strengths is its portability, and the self-contained nature of add-ons, but installers tend to muck up that self-contained nature by putting files all over the place, where they cannot be traced by the average user in case of a problem. Not to mention logging with the Windows registry, something that X-Plane's developers pride themselves on not doing.

14 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

You're free to start your own venture if you believe otherwise and we look forward to seeing you in the market proving us wrong.

As for this - I have neither the expertise nor the entrepreneurship to start my own venture; I have also nothing to gain by 'proving anyone wrong'. I was simply pointing out that a compressed archive would make life easier for all - even the distributors, as they need not create an installer, but simply zip up the files once development is done, and upload them to the servers.

Edited by SRSR333
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SRSR333 said:

Not questioning your expertise, @Ben Russell, but I believe aircraft and scenery packages sold elsewhere, that use your own plugin (Gizmo), as well as others like GroundTraffic and AutoGate have the plugins in question built into the package, such as FlightFactor's planes and MisterX6's scenery packages. Can't the 737 Classic do this as well? Once again, one of X-Plane's strengths is its portability, and the self-contained nature of add-ons, but installers tend to muck up that self-contained nature by putting files all over the place, where they cannot be traced by the average user in case of a problem.

As for this - I have neither the expertise nor the entrepreneurship to start my own venture; neither do I want to 'prove anyone wrong'. I was simply pointing out that a compressed archive would make life easier for all - even the distributors, as they need not create an installer, but simply zip up the files once development is done, and upload them to the servers.

An option would be nice, anyways the suspense is killing me. I think I'm just going to go to bed.