Did you like this video?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like this video?

• Very much!
    • Yes.
    • Not really.
    • Could have been better.
    • NO!

Well done landing! However, I took the liberty to point out one thing. According to published approach chart, you should never have "the checkerboard" to your right, looks like wind has drifted you too much north. The reason for that is to maintain safe separation from hills, being visible at the beginning of the video, to your left. Otherwise, thumbs up - the same goes for King Air :) Speaking of which, hadn't you have a little bit too much airspeed on the flare? The plane floated quite a bit down the runway, from touchdown zone, which later called for hard braking - bad for brakes and tyres. Apart from that, it was a very well executed and smooth approach and landing. Nice movies, by the way ;)

Lis is correct, the approach is far more southern, with a fun ils glide towards the famous pink sign then a good bank to right. this brought back memories to my crazier video days, so here it is, once I learnt the ILS instrument flying I got cocky in the x737. Still heart thumping in zero visibility (lis if u want a visceral experience, do this in bad weather, really tests your instrument awareness and that sick feeling of 'which way is up' and do these instruments work) Later footage is in xplane ridiculous turb settings, barely 'flyable'. and even when on ground, u can't seem to stop!

I've been doing landings on Kai Tak in B747 on good old FS9, both in good and bad weather (although not so extreme) so I guess that doesn't count ;) Even that, these were certainly more memorable events during my sim "career", however doing that on a carrier was even better :) As for X-Plane, I'm waiting for an airliner with virtual cockpit to try the same. I mean Kai Tak, not the carrier ;)

Btw Simon, you know, that both of the landings (no. 2 and 3, the first night one was OK) were classic samples of "forcing" a landing, instead of a more valid decision to go-around? The 2nd one was screwed by the turbulence, which prevented developing a stable approach - which alone calls for a go-around. The 3rd one - at the moment of crossing middle marker (as indicated by blue blinking sign on MFD), you hadn't had a visual on the checkerboard, which showed up through the fog like 2-3 seconds later. By the time you're over MM and if don't have the checkerboard in sight - go-around, which at this point is a mandatory maneuver, as published on approach chart.

Apart from that, you've displayed nice skills with that bird, no doubt about it! On the other hand, Youtube is full of hairy footage from that very airport, so I guess that some rules were working differently at that location, compared to the rest of the world ;)

I've made some movies myself, but I have yet to find some way to upload them, as YT doesn't want them, for some reason...

wow Lis, u do follow the rule book. I was, as usual, taking advantage of the sim to do extreme things regardless of 'reality'.  ;Dwith the extreme effects of xp turb and windshear, I'd assume in reality those wings would have shorn off and  all passengers would be smeared nicely within interior.

note the last scene. I landed with plenty of runway left, but despite  full reversers and brakes, but that wind just kept pushing me' down the runway.

if u want help with vids just ask!

I've noticed also nice drifts, you've left all these fancy racing sims behind ;) One of the disadvantages of X-Plane is ground handling and I hope that it will be fixed one day.

I'm not always so strict to the rules, from time to time I take a day off :) Sometimes it's just for the pure amusement, sometimes to thorougly test a new aircraft or the sim itself. Like rolling and looping An-24 - it couldn't be done within performance envelope, so I guess that the plane is "representative". However, I tend to keep in my logbook only "serious" flights, tests and fun ones are deleted. I also make some errors now and then, no doubt about it, but they are mostly a minor ones and I try to correct them on a next flight  ;)

I've noticed also nice drifts, you've left all these fancy racing sims behind :D One of the disadvantages of X-Plane is ground handling and I hope that it will be fixed one day.

I'm not always so strict to the rules, from time to time I take a day off :) Sometimes it's just for the pure amusement, sometimes to thorougly test a new aircraft or the sim itself. Like rolling and looping An-24 - it couldn't be done within performance envelope, so I guess that the plane is "representative". However, I tend to keep in my logbook only "serious" flights, tests and fun ones are deleted. I also make some errors now and then, no doubt about it, but they are mostly a minor ones and I try to correct them on a next flight  ;)

The problem with my current Joystick is that it does not have rudder control, so it's a bit harder to keep control on the ground.

While I was thinking more of Simon's videos, with regards to drifts, I'd say don't worry, even with rudder pedals it's not that hard to drift, especially on a wet surface or in crosswinds. One too vigorous input and here we go! But sooner or later, you'll want pedals, believe me :) I fly on Saitek and I'm very pleased. They are reasonably priced and comfortable, with good quality and high precision. Flying with pedals really shine in helicopters and WW2 style dogfights.

I use a Saitek too, X52 pro, bloody good and before then I could barely control helos and now can handle them fairly well (read able to land not those tiny dangerous oilrig pads), not as perfectly as the geniuses who hang around C74 though! rudder pedals are best, but no room under my desk.

drifting is very easy compared to car games, not too many corners on runways. for my best sideways effort, go to my YouTube channel and find one of my earliest ones- I turn a 747 into a VTOL, with 200kt winds. just a slight rotate gives you vto, full thrust to hop across the airfield and then back down again.

The biggest trouble with setting a helicopter on oilrig is that you have to look close to the bird, to keep an eye on all these funny metal pipes and parts, that are waiting to entangle with rotors on a slightes loss of concentration by pilot, while it would be best to look far away during hovering and nailing that pad with peripheral vision and quick looks only. Also close and relatively high walls and towers surrounding pads on an oilrig tend to mislead with regards to judging helicopter's attitude and movement relative to the pad.

In order to overcome that, try setting up in such a way, where you have only sea directly in front of you, with the oilrig itself left on one side of a helo. Just pay attention to where the tailrotor goes :) Or try practising landing on land based helipads first, trying to put a bird right in the middle runway "numbers" will be also OK. After you're capable of landing on the numbers, try to squeeze with both skids into a "belly" of "6" on a RWY06 and after mastering that, move onto oilrig itself. The goal is to get used to tight landing spaces and helicopter's movement*, so you'll have on your head only managing the visual distractions provided by oilrig's shape.

Also try not to hover over the pad for the extended periods of time, try landing straight from the flight, with continuous slowing down the airspeed, so you can hit hover and the pad at the same time.

* for example: you're hovering and suddenly ground in front of you moves downward rapidly. Why? Does the helicopter climb rapidly or the tail went down and the bird starts to quickly accelerate backwards? Or: helo is drifting sideways. How much input does it take to arrest the movement: twice as much, exactly the same or half of what seems to be right?

Speaking of helicopters and windy weather, I was thinking about autorotating into strong updrafts, so it could be possible to soar in a helicopter without engine, basically a rotary-wing glider. On the other hand, I don't feel like flying into a tornado ;)

I use a Saitek too, X52 pro, bloody good and before then I could barely control helos and now can handle them fairly well (read able to land not those tiny dangerous oilrig pads), not as perfectly as the geniuses who hang around C74 though! rudder pedals are best, but no room under my desk.

drifting is very easy compared to car games, not too many corners on runways. for my best sideways effort, go to my YouTube channel and find one of my earliest ones- I turn a 747 into a VTOL, with 200kt winds. just a slight rotate gives you vto, full thrust to hop across the airfield and then back down again.

How much did you pay for the rudder pedals? I really want to buy a pair for myself.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=saitek+rudder&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I got mine for something like 128$, with delivery included. I think rudder pedals only, the X52Pro stick + throttle was a completely different purchase, around 186$, with delivery included. I have them for two years by now and they're still in good shape, despite many hours of peaceful flights and frantic dogfights. The X52Pro could have more buttons and have them better placed, but it get's the job done perfectly and I don't have enough money to go for Thrustmaster. I had to remove the inner centering spring and stupid idle-afterburner gates, though.

sorry planes I don't have pedals. I have huge legs and the desk is too small and the wife doesn't want me' to dig a well for them!

I have similar problem, as I do a lot of cyclic, either to do everyday commuting or just for fun and health, so my legs are somewhat big and long. Like you, I have very little room under my desk, something like in a WW2 fighter or even less. What I did, was to pull the chair I sit on, as far as possible from the desk. This way my legs are more or less horizontal and they don't have to completely fit under the desk at all. The joystick and throttle were placed on two stools (had to look into dictionary for that word ;)) placed next to me, one on every side. I had to the pull screen and keyboard as much as possible towards me, in order to reach it and see anything, but all of this works wery well. No problem in flying for 6 hours straight, no need to dig a hole for rudder :) Also my back feels a lot more comfortable now, then it used to, when I was having a joystick placed on the desk, next to a keyboard.