Flaps 1 vs. Flaps 5 Takeoff

Eddie

I've been accustomed to using a Flaps 1 takeoff in both FlyJSim's 737-200 and PMDG's 737-800 (among other aircraft) to get a greater initial climb rate and save fuel. However, it seems that many real-world 737 operators do not use a setting below 5, even where runway length is not a restriction. Can someone explain why this is the case?

I'm sure Jan will give you a fully qualified answer, but in the meantime, this is what the Flight Crew Training Manual says: "For takeoffs, when conditions permit, consider using larger flap settings to provide shorter takeoff distance. Larger flap settings also provide greater tail clearance."

Edited by ONDR4.cz

Jan can probably explain this better than me, but I'll give it a shot.

F5 gets you airborne sooner, however, F1 will give you a steeper climb thus better obstacle clearance.  The reason is a higher flap setting gives you more drag - which means less thrust available to climb... .  This also means that F1 is the more economic choice - especially if the aircraft does alot of cycles each day.

M

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jiggyb2 said:

I'm studying for my ATPLs currently and one of the "standard aircraft" we use (MRJT1) is obviously a 737-400. The performance data available only accommodates flap 5 or 15 take-offs, so perhaps it is a manufacturer-set limit?

I believe that's merely for tailstrike clearance on the much longer -400, however performance data does exist for the -300 and other 737 models.

27 minutes ago, jiggyb2 said:

I'm studying for my ATPLs currently and one of the "standard aircraft" we use (MRJT1) is obviously a 737-400. The performance data available only accommodates flap 5 or 15 take-offs, so perhaps it is a manufacturer-set limit?

I believe that's merely for tailstrike clearance on the much longer -400, however performance data does exist for the -300 and other 737 models.

Hi guys,

nothing much to add to Morten´s reply. The -500s and -400s simply saved money during certification by omitting FLAPS 1 takeoff certification. Tailstrike concerns might have played a part for the -400s.

In general, FLAPS 1 will get you both a more quiet, faster and less fuel consumption climbout - so unless field lenght or close-in obstacles are an issue, FLAPS 1 is the choice for takeoffs.

Jan

• Upvote 4