Setting ground idle as minimum joystick throttle position?

hamoody

The title might not convey exactly what I want to do so here is a better explanation: I have a Saitek Extreme 3D Pro with a single, small throttle lever. The throttle lever controls the full throttle range, with full throttle on the joystick corresponding to max on the Saab's throttle levers, and minimum corresponding to max reverse. This makes things difficult when taxiing, as if I don't have the TQ Monitor up it's very easy to being the throttles back from Ground Idle into reverse. The TQ Monitor makes it so that I cna preven this, but having a 2D popup up really kills immersion. Is there a way for me to set my joystick's throttle lever's minimum setting to ground idle, and activate reverse the default way using a key command? 

• 9 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 11:56 AM, JGregory said:

No, that won't work.  The throttle logic in the plugin is completely custom and would not function properly if you did that.

So, just to confirm - there is no possible way to have the joystick "throttle" operate the airplane's power levers from full power to min. idle and then, by the push of a button on my joystick, be able to move the joystick's "throttle" so that it commands beta to full reverse? This being done as if they were two independent power ranges switched by the push of a button.

Just purchased the airplane after a long time of thinking about it. Incredible job. This power lever issue would is my only complaint.

Look forward to the Citation's release.

Edited by PT6driver

4 hours ago, PT6driver said:

So, just to confirm - there is no possible way to have the joystick "throttle" operate the airplane's power levers from full power to min. idle and then, by the push of a button on my joystick, be able to move the joystick's "throttle" so that it commands beta to full reverse? This being done as if they were two independent power ranges switched by the push of a button.

Taxiing has become a real PITA.

Just purchased the airplane after a long time of thinking about it. Incredible job. This power lever issue would is my only complaint.

Look forward to the Citation's release.

Correct, that won't work. The problem here is that user hardware does not typically have (user defined) detents and you have no "feedback" to determine what position the lever is in.  

Currently, the Saab throttle levers use the entire range of the throttle axis to go from full reverse to full throttle and this cannot be split up or modified with keystroked or buttons.  I will make note of this "feature" request and do some research on what we can do to better accommodate user hardware.  No promises at this point.  In addition, this type of feature would only be implemented as something "new" for the Saab v2.0.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JGregory said:

Correct, that won't work. The problem here is that user hardware does not typically have (user defined) detents and you have no "feedback" to determine what position the lever is in.  

Currently, the Saab throttle levers use the entire range of the throttle axis to go from full reverse to full throttle and this cannot be split up or modified with keystroked or buttons.  I will make note of this "feature" request and do some research on what we can do to better accommodate user hardware.  No promises at this point.  In addition, this type of feature would only be implemented as something "new" for the Saab v2.0.  

Ok, great. I appreciate you taking a look at a potential implementation. Thanks for the quick reply.

On 1/17/2017 at 5:17 AM, JGregory said:

One suggestion: something along the lines of IXEG's throttle lever position UI (bottom right corner) would be a good option, I think. For those that dislike the immersion-breaking overlay, it could be turned off.

It's not obtrusive at all and could sort of warn you once certain conditions apply.. (such as power at or below GND IDLE etc.)

6 hours ago, dr_nerdrage said:

One suggestion: something along the lines of IXEG's throttle lever position UI (bottom right corner) would be a good option, I think. For those that dislike the immersion-breaking overlay, it could be turned off.

It's not obtrusive at all and could sort of warn you once certain conditions apply.. (such as power at or below GND IDLE etc.)

We already have the TQ Viewer, although many probably feel it is an immersion killer.   However, we are open to all ideas and suggestions as we further develop a solution for this.