IXEG 737 Progress Update - March 12th

tkyler

10 hours ago, tkyler said:

NavDataPro / Level D (xml)

..and the offending data lines:

[...]

Hey Tom,

looks like an error in the Level D format. I just compared the CRJ-200 dataset vs any of the Airbus X ones (all the airliners from Flight Factor, JARDesign, Rotate seem to use it) or the GNS430 one (same format?).

I'm also using NavDataPro and checked both the latest and an older set from 2014. The Level D format has the wrong altitude no matter what.

Airbus X Format:

FINAL,I26,26,I,3
IF,COD79,51.88496389,11.62938056,ICOW,75.0,9.0,1,3000,0,0,0,0,0,0
CF,OM26,51.87275000,11.54009444,0,ICOW,75.0,5.6,255,3.40,1,1930,0,0,0,0,2,0
CF,RW26,51.85837500,11.43570556,0,ICOW,74.9,1.6,255,4.00,1,646,0,0,0,0,3,0
CA,0,255,2,2000,0,0,0,0,0,0
DF,MAG,51.99498889,11.79430556,2, ,0.0,0.0,1,4000,0,0,0,0,0,0
Level D (OM26 only):

<Name>OM26</Name>
        <Type>Normal</Type>
        <Latitude>51.872750</Latitude>
        <Longitude>11.540094</Longitude>
        <Speed></Speed>
        <Altitude>3000</Altitude>
        <AltitudeCons></AltitudeCons>
        <AltitudeRestriction>at</AltitudeRestriction>
        <Flytype>Fly-by</Flytype>
        <BankLimit>25</BankLimit>
        <Sp_Turn>Auto</Sp_Turn>

Bonus screenshot.

Edited by dr_nerdrage
  • Upvote 1

Okay let me clean up an error I made late yesterday by the data from Navigraph data for Aerosoft airbus database, as I used Linux you know low and small letters matters and mixed 1406 and 1603..

I say OM26 show 1930ft that was incorrect that was for "1406" then if I go to "1603" it is 3000ft just like tkyler say it was by NavDataPro.. So that shows something has changed since last year in the main data for the Airbus data as it seems to have been correct in the past..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly I don´t have old data for the 767 Level-D aircraft to check that for changes, but can see in the latest data provided by Navigraph this OM26 point does not seem to exist even I try a search for the altitude it is not there.. That said it can be there is a way point (a custom name, that is not part of the chart I can see a FF26 point at 3000ft but if it might be the same I cant say) I mean I have seen that in the past for some add-ons by the databases, but I have no option to check this out and cross check as I don´t run the 767 Level-D.. or your plane to see what it might tell me on the display by the data provided.. 

I guess this whole 3000 feet thing serves to demonstrate one thing very well: There may be errors in the database, and finding and rectifying them is the duty of the pilot.

In this case, nothing would really happen - this is an ILS approach, and you would capture the GS at the 7.9DME waypoint to follow it down to the runway.

If you really fly an RNVAV GPS approach, regulations require you to check the approach for correct values before you fly it.

The essence: Don´t trust your database. Don´t trust your airplane. Monitor and verify and take action if things don´t go as expected.

Jan

• Upvote 12

31 minutes ago, cmbaviator said:

I know it has been discussed before but will navigraph be compatible on V1.0 or later down the road ?

We don't really have a final word on this for now. The only promise for the moment is the NavDataPro from Aerosoft. If things change we would certainly communicate that at the appropriate moment.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Litjan said:

I guess this whole 3000 feet thing serves to demonstrate one thing very well: There may be errors in the database, and finding and rectifying them is the duty of the pilot.

In this case, nothing would really happen - this is an ILS approach, and you would capture the GS at the 7.9DME waypoint to follow it down to the runway.

If you really fly an RNVAV GPS approach, regulations require you to check the approach for correct values before you fly it.

The essence: Don´t trust your database. Don´t trust your airplane. Monitor and verify and take action if things don´t go as expected.

Jan

Yes that is correct but the main problem is how big an problem is it going to be worldwide. As some places it might not be as important as other places.. I also know Navigraph uses different names sometimes and when you got the chart you might figure it out.. But I still say yes the real world might not be perfect but when your way points have different names and altitudes are not correct it starts building problems.. And what I have seen... And I am nearly 100% sure the reason there is this edit in the navdata is because the Level D data is re-done to work by another newer add-on out there that also is based on the Level D navdata but need that edit for some reason I don´t know.. as I dont think it is just somebody that edit it for fun..

I guess if you want the best result you better talk to the navdata providers to get your own data base if it then should be based on the XML format go for that.. I could keep talking as I have analysed the data years back and know how they edit those data for given add-ons and why we got all those different databases..

But the best of cause would be if we for once only had 1 database for any add-on on the market, it would cost less edit time of all those data, and no cut corner would be done..

Edited by KAPTEJNLN

19 minutes ago, hamoody said:

Thanks! I missed the part where he said that. Beda's sceneries are amazing for freeware. 

They most certainly are - he is putting in crazy time and detail - and it shows!

Just remember: If you download anything from the Gateway, make sure to delete that again when it becomes part of the regular X-Plane distribution. Otherwise you run the risk of being stuck with a stagnant airport that will never get improved (simply because your downloaded "custom" airport will always suppress the corresponding "global" airport).

And even if Beda´s airports can hardly be improved much, he will most likely work them over when 10.50 is released, to include the new options for that update will bring. So you´d miss out on those improvements.

Jan

Edited by Litjan
Added information
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Yidahoo said:

If it's been uploaded and approved he said it was on the X-Plane gateway. https://gateway.x-plane.com

Another useful site is the gateway scenery map. Airports in the current release of XP appear in blue or orange, airports available for download at the gateway appear in red. you can also filter for 3D airports only (i.e. ones with buildings), water runways, helipads, etc. It's reassuring to see the number of blobs on the map when you apply the 3D filter now - and Germany is absolutely covered thanks to Jan and his friend. Vielen dank!

http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2016 at 6:14 AM, Litjan said:

The essence: Don´t trust your database. Don´t trust your airplane. Monitor and verify and take action if things don´t go as expected

Indeed! We see this all too often on VATSIM where pilots will blindly "plug and chug" into their FMCs without correlating the FMS data to the charts. One of the biggest things we do in a crew environment is cross-check the FMS entered flight plan with the planned or cleared route, and then also re-verify any SID/STAR restrictions or approach restrictions with the plate. Here's the EDBC ILS in question, as others have posted, you can see that the altitude at the OM fix is actually 1930'.

a605f03491.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sizziano said:

Again, what makes you think that I believe otherwise. In other words, we are in agreement. I suggest you go back and reread my post.

Because you said that this plane will be 100 percent bug free. Implying that you wouldn't have agreed with me

On 3/25/2016 at 11:58 PM, tkyler said:

well here's a little report, just so you know we're not sitting around doing nothing.

We are polishing up lots of little corners many won't see.  As I said, the reason we are doing so is not a matter of pursuing perfection, but rather is because when you put this in thousands of hands, they will find these issues and if they cause crashes, that is no bueno as we like to say here in San Antonio TX.  

So today, I was addressing parts of the N1 limit page, for derate stuffs.  So here's a CDU entry pattern you probably don't see much.  Say you select "TO-1" derate....that will automatically select the "CLB-1" derate mode (so the throttles do not advance in the transition from Takeoff to climb phase....Boeing says that confuses the pilot dontcha know eh?).  And then lets say you enter a assumed Temperature value....well depending on the temperature entered, that too might automatically derate the CLB thrust, not only to CLB-1 mode, but maybe CLB-2  if its hot enough......so far so good.  But then lets say you decide to delete the TO-1 mode....well the CLB thrust mode may or may not revert to one of the  reduced mode..... or not dependent on the assumed temperature entered.....and there are a myriad of other potential combos that may or may not get entered.  Here's a little video to show several different combinations that have to be tested....and there are quite a few more patterns other than what is shown here.  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/955680/n1_limitOPT.mp4

Did you notice CPU jumps almost 100% upon selecting and then error. Wonder if that is some sort of clue to fixing? Nevertheless, looking forward with patience to this bird :)

Because you said that this plane will be 100 percent bug free. Implying that you wouldn't have agreed with me

I suggest you reread my post to prevent further embarrassment. I was merely posing a hypothetical to show how people will always find ways to complain about a product regardless of what state it ships in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, sizziano said:

I suggest you reread my post to prevent further embarrassment. I was merely posing a hypothetical to show how people will always find ways to complain about a product regardless of what state it ships in.

To be fair it was worded quite poorly. I had to re-read it to understand what you meant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1