IXEG 737 Progress Update - March 12th

tkyler

There's also my somewhat dormant "x-httpd" project which is part of the roadmap for getting Gizmo-powered systems onto things like tablets and smart phones as a "Remote FMS" input system.

External hardware and integration is definitely on our radar, at all levels.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

I've been dabbling in the world of Arduino/ESP8266 and IoT.

My preferred protocol at the moment is MQTT.

Gizmo will be getting more powerful USB API options in future too so we can make sure any of our product integrations are 100% seamless.

Interesting and off topic, did you consider ZeroMQ? Since IIRC MQTT handles only messaging (very well). 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, StevenM said:

Interesting and off topic, did you consider ZeroMQ? Since IIRC MQTT handles only messaging (very well). 

I had not come across ZMQ ... I became interested in MQTT because of the ESP8266 uC, it seems ZMQ isn't quite so easy to pull off there.

In any case, it'd be some kind of new plugin that adds protocol support.

Just posting to give a general heads up that we're aware of and interested in some of the more esoteric ways to setup custom hardware.

Thanks for the pointer.. bookmarked.

4 hours ago, tkyler said:

we certainly want to encourage that kind of 3rd party interaction with the 737 and do plan to publish datarefs/commands as needed.  We are wanting to start a dedicated forum just for "interfacing geeks", where cockpit builders and other developers can discuss how to go about doing things and what is needed from IXEG to facilitate such efforts.

-tkyler

Music to my ears.  Thanks!

Great news! Glad to hear you guys are thinking about this tinkering crowd even though there are probably not a ton of us. Glad to hear you are going to publish datarefs as well. It has been like pulling teeth to get information out of some plane developers concerning external interfaces.

I believe I only have one plane with Gizmo in it, so I haven't dealt with it directly. I should, as I know, and program in lua frequently.

My solutions are pretty straightforward, I'm not using some of the more esoteric solutions. I've been using Arduino and ArdSim library, which makes short work out of the programming side of things and keeps all the heavy lifting in actually building the panels.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering though, if they have a closed group of betatesters, maybe they could lift the NDA for them so that they can post some screenshots from their test flights? That would keep all of us happy (and our mouths shut) and meanwhile the team could peacefully continue working towards releasing the plane. Just a thought.

• Upvote 3

I was wondering though, if they have a closed group of betatesters, maybe they could lift the NDA for them so that they can post some screenshots from their test flights? That would keep all of us happy (and our mouths shut) and meanwhile the team could peacefully continue working towards releasing the plane. Just a thought.

There's no winning here. I have seen SO many complaints on X-Plane related groups about all the beta shots going out for the x737 and lack of release. We are not going to start doing this. At some point you have to realize the aircraft still looks as has already been shown.

Short answer: won't be happening at this stage!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

As amazing as this 737-300 looks and as much as I am looking forward to it, I don't understand this rampant impatience and obsessive compulsive desire to have updates every five minutes. Let's put it in perspective, it's a series of 0s and 1s that will be squeezed down a cable to your computer so that you can simulate being a 737-300 pilot. You will receive nothing tangible, nothing physical and all the while it continues to be perfected, the world turns and life goes on. When the day comes for it to be released many of us will buy it and many of us will certainly enjoy it immensely but it will still only be a small part of our day to day lives (or at least it should be). In short, there are more important things in life.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Yidahoo said:

... I don't understand this rampant impatience and obsessive compulsive desire to have updates every five minutes.

... In short, there are more important things in life.

+1

We know they are working hard on the plane to release it.

Nothing more to say.

Just wait and fly on another plane in x-plane or play another game...

If you have other area of interest in life, so go out and enjoy real life...

:D

• Upvote 2

To the theme Beta Testers,

I thing IXEG don´t need Beta testers the only one that they and we need is Jan

It´s not enough to play X Plane since 10 years when the tester haven´t a type rating of this one and can´t test the diffrents

procedures

Chris

Edited by everstalker

4 minutes ago, everstalker said:

To the theme Beta Testers,

I thing IXEG don´t need Beta testers the only one that they and we need is Jan

It´s not enough to play X Plane since 10 years when the tester haven´t a type rating of this one and can´t test the diffrents

procedures

Chris

Thanks for the credits - but quite the opposite is true! Since I tend to operate the plane the way it was intended, I don´t cover the way that 90% of our customers will use it. They don´t know or don´t care for the proper procedures, limitations and system behaviour.

We have to get ready for a myriad of support questions like "you guys forgot the mixture lever!" and "wtf, I can´t find the ignition keys!"

Few customers will really know or take the time to learn how to operate this plane, and we want to see where our model is showing faults. This is why this second round of beta-testers will focus on people with no real 737 experience. We already know that this plane behaves correctly when flown correctly - now we want to find out if it behaves correctly when flown by Kerbals!

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 12

beta-test-dog.png.97b721ca475ca51e812354

Just give him the ignition keys.... :D  

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

"wtf, I can´t find the ignition keys!"

We already know that this plane behaves correctly when flown correctly

Cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan and thats great... "plane behaves correctly when flown correctly

Thats all we need... 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, torgeir said:

One thing I have wondered for a while now. In the real plane, is there some security feature to keep a simmer from starting up the plane if one get access to the cockpit. Do not misinterpret this. I have no intention of trying.

Yep, they hide the keys behind the sun visor! :)

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, torgeir said:

One thing I have wondered for a while now. In the real plane, is there some security feature to keep a simmer from starting up the plane if one get access to the cockpit. Do not misinterpret this. I have no intention of trying.

I can't say for sure when it comes to the 737s since I've never flown one, but I can say for sure that the CRJs have no such feature. If you manage to get into the flight deck and you know what you're doing, there's nothing to stop you. The hardest part, though, is opening the door. CRJs can sometimes be tricky to get into if you've not got much experience letting down the door. But as far as I'm aware, no large aircraft have keys or anything of the sort.

Edited by Iridium

I can't say for sure when it comes to the 737s since I've never flown one, but I can say for sure that the CRJs have no such feature. If you manage to get into the flight deck and you know what you're doing, there's nothing to stop you. The hardest part, though, is opening the door. CRJs can sometimes be tricky to get into if you've not got much experience letting down the door. But as far as I'm aware, no large aircraft have keys or anything of the sort.

Ok. Kind of scary, but I guess security outside of aircrafts is good enough in most parts of the world...