Your personal Accident Report

reincarnate

I wonder if you ever (and I bet you did) crashed while flying (in x-plane of course)? Since its a simulator and we try funny things, Im talking about the flights you were taking seriously.

Which aircraft? Where? What happened and if you know, -why did it happened?

I´m pretty sure we can collect and read some interesting stuff with all the little and big incidents we had.

Lets see when we will read the first IXEG 737 accident report :D

• Upvote 1

I think the only time I have crashed (in recent memory) is when the engines cutout, particularly on takeoff. This happened to me once in the CRJ-200 - just got to about 500' and the engines died. Had no time to restart. I have not flown the CRJ-200 again for this reason - seemed totally unrealistic.

Almost ran out of fuel once (PC-12). Had to divert and just made it. Totally my fault.

Good thread!

L-39 in DCS. I knew I was low, still I wanted to push the limits and do a downwards half loop.

I love them outside-in russian artificial horizons. No matter what position

in space I have, getting the wings level for maximum lift is a no-brainer.

Well, everything went fine, but altitude... :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

It has to be my 737-200 flight. I was approaching LOWI, runway 26. Intercepted localizer and switched autoland. The plane for some reason didn't descend at a proper rate, so around 500 feet above I had to go around. But since I wanted to land quickly I performed a quick turn right. Now, if you know the terrain around LOWI, you probably know where it is going. 

I didn't have altitude to fly over some hills, full power didn't give me enough so my speed in turn was bleeding fast. I almost made it but once airspeed dropped below 130 knots I started to lose lift, my right wing dropped, nose dropped and I slammed into the forest on some rocky hill. :( 

• Upvote 4

There isn't an ILS at LOWI, the localizer and glidepath are just there as a guidance for the loc/dme approach. You need to land manually and use the charts to plan your descent.

That's also why Cat II or III is not possible at LOWI, and there are very high visibility minima for Cat I apporaches.

Edited by mgeiss
  • Upvote 1

"A Piper PA-28 Arrow III crashed on a IFR flight into Hof Airport (EDQM). The airplane crashed while on approach in IMC. Later investigation found out, that the pilot, who was the only person on board, extensively deflected the rudder while flying the procedure turn for the ILS 26, which led to a unsteady approach and a subsequent stall of the right wing. The pilot couldn't end the stall before hitting the ground ca. 6 NM before the threshold."

Contributing factors were:

- using a joystick with a twistgrip

- Night time

- Close proximity to the ground

- lacking flying knowledge

- Possible ice accumulation on the wings

The aircraft was declared missing by Munich Radar, after the pilot quickly disconnected from Vatsim... :D

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Morrigan said:

It has to be my 737-200 flight. I was approaching LOWI, runway 26. Intercepted localizer and switched autoland. The plane for some reason didn't descend at a proper rate, so around 500 feet above I had to go around. But since I wanted to land quickly I performed a quick turn right. Now, if you know the terrain around LOWI, you probably know where it is going. 

I didn't have altitude to fly over some hills, full power didn't give me enough so my speed in turn was bleeding fast. I almost made it but once airspeed dropped below 130 knots I started to lose lift, my right wing dropped, nose dropped and I slammed into the forest on some rocky hill. :( 

That sounds like the beginning of an Air Crash Investigation! xD

And @Hovercat, that sounds like an NTSB report :P

• Upvote 1

A DHC-6 300 Series (equipped with floats) crashed into Kalamalka Lake in the Canadian Rockies, 3NM southeast of Vernon (CYVK). The aircraft was operated under VFR. The crash happend during an attempted landing at CVW2. The aircraft was in correct water landing configuration (wheels retracted, flaps full). When touching the water, the sudden deceleration let the aircraft pitch nose-down, forcing the float tips to plunge. Subsequently, the aircraft overturned. While IAS was within the limits of a water landing, GS was not - apparently the pilot had forgotten to check the METAR and attempted to land with a tail wind component of approx. 25KN. :blink:

Second accident: A DHC-6 300 Series (standard gear variant) crashed on a VFR flight from CYRV to CYKA, 9NM west of Revelstroke. After takeoff from CYRV RWY12, the pilot followed the Trans-Canada Highway towards Mt Griffin, climbing to and maintaining 4,500 ft. The weather at the time of the accident provided dense clouds between 6,000 and 11,000 ft, prohibiting proper VFR operation at or above minimums (8,100 ft for this area). 9NM down the highway, both engines failed. Being low AGL in a narrow valley, the aircraft collided with terrain before the pilot's attempt to restart the engines succeeded. FDR data analysis prove that the double engine failure was caused by the crew shutting down both fuel pumps.

OK, quick version: I forgot sitting in a DHC-6 and not in a EMB-110 (where you actually shut down fuel boost pumps at cruise, but in the DHC-6 I accidentally caught the main fuel pumps switches). Plus I ignored minimus, doing a canyon ride to keep visual contact with the terrain. Both together = very bad idea... :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

About a month ago, I was doing a JetBlue flight on Vatsim from JFK to FLL. This was of course in the Scarebus as Jan calls it. Anyways flight was going beautifully, no turbulence, a strong tailwind due to a storm, I was expecting to end the flight on a good note. I began my descent into FLL and there were no atc online, so I suspsected I had to do my own navigation to land. Again, everything was moving smoothly, but then, FLL CTR came online, and it all went downhill. I had to wait for about a half a hour to wait for traffic to clean up. Finally, I was cleared for a visual approach. Flaps down, auto brake armed, spoilers armed, ready to land. Unfortunately, I wasn't told that there was low visibility in the area. That would be fine, except little did I know, I was headed for the wrong airport and was in fact approaching a regional airport. Cleared to land, landing gear down, I got no feedback from ATC that I was doing anything wrong. I was a little high, but I knew I could slow down in time. Anyways, short final, I begin to second guess the airport, it didn't look like FLL, but I stupidly dismiss it. I land, all is going well, however, when I go in to pull the reversers, they won't open. I'm getting closer to the end of the runwy. I keep trying at the reverser but nothing...that's when my plane flew off the runway and did a flip and nosedive directly into the ground. I disconnected shortly after that. The funny part of this story is, I fly for a VA and they dont support X-Plane so there isn't an ACars plugin so I do it all manually. They STILL accepted my flight because they had no record that I crashed. Anyways, thanks for listening. 

• Upvote 2

Interesting thread. I will add mine if someone is interested.

One of the first flights flying with live ATC, I was departing from ESGG to ESSA with the 737-200. An easy flight which I've trained on, and I felt quite comfortable with the aircraft. Though, as extremely nervous I can be, I remarkably managed to get by clearance and taxing to the runway without the passengers noticing any unusual. Cleared for takeoff at runway 21, I rechecked everything was okay. Pushing the throttle, and when leaving the touch of the runway, I retracted the gears and prepared for a left turn, while checking my speed. Retracting the flaps, and increasing the speed, I felt comfortable on being on the right course and climb. In the climb I activated the autopilot, and I noticed that I hard time getting up to speed. Also the aircraft heading and course differed more than normal, I rechecked the weather, as maybe I interpreted the winds wrong, but the winds was calm. Than I realized the flaps was not full up, I've missed a step! I turned off the autopilot to get a feeling of the aircraft, and I had to strongly compensate with left aileron. I've damaged one of my flaps! I retracted the flaps hoping that it would get better, but no difference. As I did still have a managed control of the aircraft, I did call PAN-PAN-PAN and stated I wanted to return to departed airport. I got vectors and turned the aircraft around, prepared the passengers and approach routines. Though, as a stupid problem-solver you are, trying to make things better but instead making it worse, I extracted the flaps, hoping the aircraft to be more equalized in aileron output, everything got worse! At this time, I was not able to compensate the aileron, aircraft turning right slowly until I was upside down. Seeing the altitude decreasing rapidly, I called MAYDAY, just seconds before hitting the ground. There was no more radio transmissions from this flight.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
42 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Many unrecoverable deep stalls on takeoff in the FJS 727v2...

For me it's on descent - put her in a descent, press the alt select button, stop paying attention for just a little too long, the AP tries to keep her at altitude and puts her in a deep stall, everyone crashes and dies.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -VETTE said:

... everyone crashes and dies.

Haha!

The last accident I had was when flying with a DC6 from northen Norway to a skiing tourist place between Norway and Sweden. At a cruising altitude of FL13, I did descend and approaching the airport from the opposite of the runway. There was really bad weather, the airport had high elevation, and the clouds where low. I knew there where higher mountains surrounding the airport, and I was quite nervous if I would deviate too far. Turning right to intercept the ILS, I did the mistake to be too fast and high. So trying to reduce speed, extending flaps more, and diving steeper to catch the glideslope, everything went wrong. The V/S speed wheel flipped out on me (bug in the PMDG DC6) and the aircraft was suddenly descending 4000 fpm, I tried to correct and then entered an oscillation of ups and downs, trying to balance the V/S. I began to see the ground infront of me, and in panic I turned off the autopilot, and trying to balance and trim the aircraft for a go around. The V/S still going up and down. Of course I did forget the go around procedure, but in somewhat way, I was only to catch a short glimpse of the procedure paper until the paper flew back and I could not reach it. There was something about turning left and thereafter again at some point turning left and intercept a NDB, but I did not remember the altitude and length. Luckily, I had the NDB dialed in already, so I decided to ascend as high I remember it was safe, about 7000 feet and do the turn. I was lucky though, and did the approach again. Coming in too high again, but I balanced out the aircraft alright. About one nautical mile from touch down, I noticed that my engines where not well. There was fire in all of them! Extinguishing the fire, no engines left, I succeeded to land on the runway. My passengers where not happy, and I kept the cockpit door closed until they where evacuated and transported far away.

I filled in the incident report that I forgot the open up the cowl-flaps. The engines where overheating with no cooling.