Xlife ready!

nol

6 minutes ago, Colin S said:

What exactly does this do?

Hi Colin.  I just now watched the video on the site and it is very informative about what this does.  It is light-years ahead of the X-Plane default traffic and ATC system. I think this is going to be very popular.

• Upvote 1

I finally figured out what this is, and it's hugely misleading. It's not freeware. Most of the airports (the few it caters to in Europe only) require a payware license. This isn't freeware. That should be removed from the site. A demo being free doesn't make something free. Otherwise it looks super cool, I love being able to mess with frequency of arrival and departure and whatnot. Going to keep an eye on this.

• Upvote 1

Just to clarify a bit (as per my understanding of the plugin) - I've been beta testing it for several months now.

X-life will use the ATC taxi-routes in any scenery (freeware or payware) to generate traffic paths.  The limited number of airport on the website is growing, and the plugin will read the ATC routes from other airports also.  There in an in-sim editor to setup the gates / stand, limit aircraft sizes etc.

The traffic portion of the plugin will be free, the payware part is the ATC, route generation etc.

I've been using this for a while now, and I can say it's absolutely FANTASTIC, and will surely be very popular.  No comparison at all to the default XP traffic or ATC.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

8 hours ago, BluesmanEP said:

X-life will use the ATC taxi-routes in any scenery (freeware or payware) to generate traffic paths.  The limited number of airport on the website is growing, and the plugin will read the ATC routes from other airports also.

to be sure I understand correctly :

does ther traffic work only on the airports listed on the website  ?

I mean : if I go on a not listed airport today, the plugin won't generate traffic even if ATC taxi routes are defined. Is it right ?

On 2/23/2016 at 6:26 PM, BluesmanEP said:

Just to clarify a bit (as per my understanding of the plugin) - I've been beta testing it for several months now.

X-life will use the ATC taxi-routes in any scenery (freeware or payware) to generate traffic paths.  The limited number of airport on the website is growing, and the plugin will read the ATC routes from other airports also.  There in an in-sim editor to setup the gates / stand, limit aircraft sizes etc.

The traffic portion of the plugin will be free, the payware part is the ATC, route generation etc.

I've been using this for a while now, and I can say it's absolutely FANTASTIC, and will surely be very popular.  No comparison at all to the default XP traffic or ATC.

Why is it then that I cannot make see any traffic happen when I load up in LOWI? Even with max settings. Lots of planes on the ramp, zip in the way of traffic. 

Which LOWI scenery are you using?  I'm using the scenery pack linked in JAR's x-life scenery map.  I load up the sim, start x-life and watch the traffic :)

A note about x-life reading the ATC Routes of existing scenery.  While it is true that X-life will read the taxi routes, they must be built in a very specific way in order to do so.  Most importantly, there must be a taxi-route segment connected to every ramp start / gate location.  This is more strict that was ever previously required for the default ATC (I believe so, anyway), thus many existing scenery packs - even ones with taxi networks - won't work out of the box.  Many of them only have taxi segments close to the gates.  This will cause an error, they must me connected to the start point for x-life to use them.

It's not a big deal to go into WED and make the small adjustments needed for existing scenery.  Hopefully, moving forward, the scenery developers will take these requirements into account when building their next projects.

Hope that helps!

It also can take a bit of time for the traffic to get going.  Incoming aircraft spawn well outside of the airport, and need to fly the approach etc.  The best way to see if it's working is to get an airport-wide zoomed-out view, crank up the time acceleration, and open the airport data overlay so you can see what the plugin is doing.

Good luck!