Adding manipulators to existing aircraft

Vantskruv

Hello!

I'm in period of creativity, and my plan is to add the KLN90B to the Saab 340. So far I've been able to add and place the KLN90 with animated buttons which responds to datarefs to the aircraft. The problem now is to add manipulators for the 3D object. In the time of problem solving and learning, I've understood the manipulators is only possible to add in the main 3d cockpit object file (in this case the 'LES_Saab_340A_cockpit.obj' file in the aircraft root folder).

First, I hoped to be able to just manually edit the cockpit object file, but it seems impossible without editing and exporting the file. So my plan now is to add untextured/hidden manipulative objects in the main 3d cockpit object file.

So, starting up Blender 2.49b, and importing this object file, I'm getting an error 'Cannot read cockpit panel texture' and ATTR_manip is undefined. Also the import script does not load any 3D objects. So I tried to use AC3D with the latest plugin, it does load 3D objects, but it seems to be very erroneous as of some lines and vertices spreads out long far out from the cockpit.

So, I've come to a dead end. If it would be possible to add manipulators for external objects, everything would be fine, but it seems it is not the case. And rather not want to modify the 3d cockpit file, but it seems I have to (or is it?).

Any tips/hacks to add manipulators for an existing aircraft, or help to correctly importing the 3d cockpit file?

The scripts used with 3D programs are typically created, funded, or driven, by artists that want to create new content.

These artists always retain copies of the original master files used to export to OBJ8 files.

Payware authors have no incentive to make it easier to make changes a mess of the final product.

Freeware authors release the original blender files and whatever other assets are needed.

For these reasons and more the ability to modify objects using friendly tools is extremely limited.

We can offer no support with your request to modify your product so that it's in an unsupported state.

That is very sad. I understand that the original blender files made by the authors should be protected and to not be redistributed for bad purposes. And, I guess as explained by you, it seems only be possible to add manipulators if a modder have these files. This tells us it is impossible, in the case of manipulators, to add manipulative objects, if not the author do it himself, or the author trusts the modder to not redistribute the original files if they are given.

It would be very nice if X-Plane would support manipulators for external objects...which would solve this problem without the extra help of the author.

3 hours ago, -VETTE said:

Actually, that's not a great example, in my opinion. The plane was released broken, and this update not only improved it greatly, but fixed most (if not all) of its issues.

Did you bother reading the thread or did you just provide your personal opinion?

There's a world of difference between what you subjectively feel and what can be objectively proven.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, -VETTE said:

Actually, that's not a great example, in my opinion. The plane was released broken, and this update not only improved it greatly, but fixed most (if not all) of its issues.

You will also note that I addressed the "support mess" NOT the perceived quality of the actual modification.

I don't care how good or bad Max's work was.

The execution and delivery to customers was, is, and always will be, a disaster.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

You will also note that I addressed the "support mess" NOT the perceived quality of the actual modification.

I don't care how good or bad Max's work was.

The execution and delivery to customers was, is, and always will be, a disaster.

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess my eyes just glanced over the word, "Support."

Edited by -VETTE