GTX 970 4GB VRAM Usage?

Jah

Hi,

I'm going to build a new PC for a friend, and he's going to use it for X-Plane 10. So far, so good. Now the question is, if I should recommend a ATI Card or a Nvidia one. I made the experience that ATI Cards won't work so well with Xplane since I switched to Nvidia.

The GTX970 is unfortunately only using 3,5GB Ram (The Nvidiagate so to say), and the ATI Cards are Using up to 8GB the costs are more or less the same

GTX 970 VS 390 (X)

So here's the question: Can anyone, using a GTX970 4GB VRAM and a 1080p Display say me how much VRAM he's using on a detailed Airport, like EPWA (Payware), EGLL (Payware) etc.

Thank you!

Cheers
Steffen

VRAM usage does not only depend on the resolution and scenery, but also on the plane, weather, cloud plugins, what settings you use for the rendering options etc. So one user might only use 1GB, while the other one fills up 4GB at the same scenery and resolution.

But coming from a GTX 770 with 4GB of VRAM, i can assure you that a 970 with 4GB is totally adequate for running X-Plane with enough eye candy. I you really want to make a significant step forward from a 970, I would recomment a 980Ti.

Edited by mgeiss

Sure, a 980ti is probably overkill for many. But like I said, a 770 with 4GB is still adequate when you choose reasonable rendering options. I didn't have any serious frame rate issues with this card and could still run enough eye candy. :)

Edited by mgeiss

I have a 970. I don't have a much payware scenery, but I use HD meshes and lots of other add ons.

Texture usage is all over the map depending on what I am doing, in what plane, and where.

But, I always try to keep texture usage below 3.5GB to stay out of the problem area in this card:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/