AIRAC Cycles

Moose1

Hello Everyone,

This is a question that applies to X-Plane in general that no one else can seem to answer for me. I thought I would give a last ditch attempt here before accepting the facts and paying for a subscription. So, I am aware of Navigraph and Aerosoft having the AIRAC Cycles that you can use for various aircraft if you pay for a subscription, but, do any of you know of one I could use that works for just as many aircraft, that is free of charge?
-moose1

19 hours ago, Moose1 said:

Hello Everyone,

This is a question that applies to X-Plane in general that no one else can seem to answer for me. I thought I would give a last ditch attempt here before accepting the facts and paying for a subscription. So, I am aware of Navigraph and Aerosoft having the AIRAC Cycles that you can use for various aircraft if you pay for a subscription, but, do any of you know of one I could use that works for just as many aircraft, that is free of charge?
-moose1

Navigraph's 4 AIRAC cycles over the course of a year is a good deal. You can choose which four cycles, it's not very expensive, and you get mostly up-to-date nav data. Not much changes in a month.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, X-Plane Junkies said:

If you fly online a lot, the annual cycle is certainly worth it... If not, what -VETTE said is a great solution as well.  The AIRAC cycle updates are just something I consider a cost of operating a virtual aircraft fleet.  It breaks down to only a few US dollars/month if you do the annual.

Rizzo

As long as you don't accidentally download two cycles in a row like I did, the four a year should be fine (it's a lot cheaper, too). Just do it every 3 months and it'll keep you up to date enough. VFR charts update every 6 months, and I can never see any real differences (maybe 1 or 2 fixes moved/changed), so 3 months should be fine. With 3 month updates, you have to worry more about your flight planning software than your planes :P

4 minutes ago, -VETTE said:

As long as you don't accidentally download two cycles in a row like I did, the four a year should be fine (it's a lot cheaper, too). Just do it every 3 months and it'll keep you up to date enough. VFR charts update every 6 months, and I can never see any real differences (maybe 1 or 2 fixes moved/changed), so 3 months should be fine. With 3 month updates, you have to worry more about your flight planning software than your planes :P

Yes... The items that change monthly are departure and arrival procedures which is a bulk of what the AIRAC data is.  VFR/IFR charts is a different subscription and honestly for those, websites like SkyVector (USA) is great.  If you fly the big iron on published procedures and don't like hearing from controllers "Can you accept the XYZ5 departure? The XYZ4 is out of date." then monthly is great.  It isn't a big deal usually, but I can justify the $3/month for the annual... And it feels good to not see the CDU message saying the data is out of date.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...