IXEG 737 Progress Update - January 30th

tkyler

21 minutes ago, Longranger said:

Well for Macs the background was more on a touch display you move the text up. But in fact 6this is the total opposite to the much older windows implementations , since they had scroll wheels for a very long time.

For the record I am a Mac user and hate the natural way Apple feels it should be. Because of this I tick that preference box off and go back to the old style.

22 minutes ago, Longranger said:

The arrows follow exactly the same logical principal: You move the text, that you currently disply up , so that it can now show the lower parts of the text. Nothing unnatual in this concept. In fact, you could say that it is the more logical view since you want to move the text and not yourself.

I can totally see your point. It's just hard to accept such change when you've been trained to think the opposite for so many years.

• Downvote 1

This reminds me of my first flight sim experiences some years ago, when color monitors were a thing and I only had the keyboard for controlling the plane. I always thought to myself "why the hell does the nose go up when I push the down-arrow?" :)

I also think that scrolling on the Airbus MCDU should be the other way round, because everyone who uses computers is used to the fact that pushing the down arrow moves the view of the page down and vice versa. Scroll wheels, touch controls etc. are other concepts, which of course could be implemented the other way round if the MCDU had those.

Edited by mgeiss

So on another note, quite a bit of a milestone.   All the code for the VNAV  1.0 feature list is in place as of today and we are beginning flight testing and debugging of the full route LNAV / VNAV capability within a few days (our main tester seems to be a real airline pilot away at work....slacker).  After our internal debugging checks and fixes, we'll engage a relatively quick beta test with some selected newbies (already selected)...and then we will mop and sweep, spit and polish and release.  No date given.

-tkyler

• Upvote 24

1 hour ago, tkyler said:

So on another note, quite a bit of a milestone.   All the code for the VNAV  1.0 feature list is in place as of today and we are beginning flight testing and debugging of the full route LNAV / VNAV capability within a few days (our main tester seems to be a real airline pilot away at work....slacker).  After our internal debugging checks and fixes, we'll engage a relatively quick beta test with some selected newbies (already selected)...and then we will mop and sweep, spit and polish and release.  No date given.

-tkyler

This is very exciting news.

not sure if anyone in the team can beta test it on PILOTEDGE or similar which tries to mimic how real aircraft are managed. It seems to me other airliners were not tested under dynamic conditions and as soon as you put them to work and make changes/decisions inflight all kind of problem/bugs and limitations arises. They seems only to work under a non-chaning pre-programed standard flight.

on a side note: would you be able to send 2 radios simultaneously to the speakers? i.e. having tuned approach freq. on radio1 and atis on radio2 for listening weather reports while keeping track of ATC traffic comms?

thanks!!

well I don´t think you have to test it online for what you want to test at all.. As that Is just some basic things you can test offline, and I am sure you find no better than Jan to assure you if it works according the real deal, the online flying would be more to test if radios would work and such.

But the important thing you have to keep in mind, and that´s where I sometimes get a bit irritated as a tester when costumers start blame testers in general, after a release. The thing you have to keep in mind, is that you only get 1 side of the story. (That you find something that does not do as you want / like the real plane if you know how the real would do)

You have to keep in mind at what level the given add-on was aimed at.. Because sometimes we find stuff and all we can do is report it to the developers and talk about it but they have the final word.. and that can have many reasons..

But we see many use the text at the promotion tested by real world pilots and that can be true but again remember the developers decide where it ends as I feel many use that marketing argument. As that psychologically gets your brain to think this might be the real deal and a sales trick..

But I may also strongly say I don´t feel that here as Jan does a good job at showing the plane as he has all the passion for flying as well as this aircraft.. just like me. But he is a real world pilot and the first time we have seen someone that is our instructor and adviser for the development, and have an active role.. try go to some of the planes that claim they used real world pilots, they are often not that much in the public as Jan is.. 

And sorry for going a bit off topic here, I just want to tell the story from a tester even I cant go in to details of projects and such as it might give a better picture by some aspects.. we can just say testers and developers can agree or disagree about stuff and the costumer never know what there is behind, and that´s why I say this as you only get one side of the story but this team has been clear, about what it is and what it is not in version 1.0 and I take my hat of for that..      

1 hour ago, KAPTEJNLN said:

well I don´t think you have to test it online for what you want to test at all.. As that Is just some basic things you can test offline, and I am sure you find no better than Jan to assure you if it works according the real deal, the online flying would be more to test if radios would work and such.

But the important thing you have to keep in mind, and that´s where I sometimes get a bit irritated as a tester when costumers start blame testers in general, after a release. The thing you have to keep in mind, is that you only get 1 side of the story. (That you find something that does not do as you want / like the real plane if you know how the real would do)

You have to keep in mind at what level the given add-on was aimed at.. Because sometimes we find stuff and all we can do is report it to the developers and talk about it but they have the final word.. and that can have many reasons..

But we see many use the text at the promotion tested by real world pilots and that can be true but again remember the developers decide where it ends as I feel many use that marketing argument. As that psychologically gets your brain to think this might be the real deal and a sales trick..

But I may also strongly say I don´t feel that here as Jan does a good job at showing the plane as he has all the passion for flying as well as this aircraft.. just like me. But he is a real world pilot and the first time we have seen someone that is our instructor and adviser for the development, and have an active role.. try go to some of the planes that claim they used real world pilots, they are often not that much in the public as Jan is.. 

And sorry for going a bit off topic here, I just want to tell the story from a tester even I cant go in to details of projects and such as it might give a better picture by some aspects.. we can just say testers and developers can agree or disagree about stuff and the costumer never know what there is behind, and that´s why I say this as you only get one side of the story but this team has been clear, about what it is and what it is not in version 1.0 and I take my hat of for that..      

costumers being customers I presume :)

4 hours ago, tkyler said:

-tkyler

Woo hoo! Amazing news - I can barely wait for this great plane :D