New Alaska Livery

Colin S

Since Alaska just did an epic rebranding (and I don't mean epic as in cool, I mean epic as in massive, huge, surprising, etc), I decided I'd jump on the task of getting this done for the X737 (my first non-Hawaii related livery) and give everyone and opportunity to say what they think of this new livery... (politely). I personally think it's cool. I miss the old font, but the new colours combined with the old image on the tail are really great... although it is a little too close to the general branding style of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. That is a bit of a silly complaint though, since they are over, and it was one hell of an awesome theme. And now everyone wants it. I feel generally positive about this change. By the way, that tail design took a while to get looking alright.

S33dcG9.png

• Upvote 1

Very well done !!

Nevertheless a question.
Why working ( I alsmost say waisting) superb paintwork on models with such terrible cropped textures ?
All sharp lines and details get fuzzy the moment the texture gets stretched on the aircraft.
Thats the reason why I personally never touch textures wich are cropped, the result on the plane always make me cry.

Leen de Jager

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Leen de Jager said:

Very well done !!

Nevertheless a question.
Why working ( I alsmost say waisting) superb paintwork on models with such terrible cropped textures ?
All sharp lines and details get fuzzy the moment the texture gets stretched on the aircraft.
Thats the reason why I personally never touch textures wich are cropped, the result on the plane always make me cry.

Leen de Jager

I can honestly say I don't know what you mean by cropped texture. I use the paintkit provided my the EADT, no cropping involved. Also it would be pretty hard to work on liveries if I couldn't touch them. The livery itself looks like this, that was a screenshot of photoshop. Go check out the downloadable livery in the file library, I think you might find that it's not cropped at all.

cS9jQap.jpg

Cropped means in this case horizontally cormpressed.

You can recognise that when you look at the abnormal narrow windows and doors.

The texture has to stretched to cover the model in the sim.

In other words , if you want to have a circle on the model, you need to draw a n oval on the texture.

Edited by Leen de Jager
adding text
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Leen de Jager said:

Cropped means in this case horizontally cormpressed.

You can recognise that when you look at the abnormal narrow windows and doors.

The texture has to stretched to cover the model in the sim.

In other words , if you want to have a circle on the model, you need to draw a n oval on the texture.

I don't know if you've ever worked with the X737 PaintKit but it's made this way so that it can take advantage of the full resolution of XP10 4096 textures. I don't make the plane, I don't make the paintkit, if you're concerned please aim the concerns towards Benedikt but even then, this paintkit I'm using isn't even provided directly by him as it's the HD supplementary paintkit. I have done nothing to the shape of this texture. It is what the aircraft file reads and renders. 

Cropping tuexture to take advantage of high resolution is a wrong way of thinking.

High resolution is great, but only with undistorted textures..
Going into distortion just to use high resolution is totally going the wrong way.

Better have high quality at low resolution then bad qualty on high resolution.

I rest my case here.

Leen

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Leen de Jager said:

Cropping tuexture to take advantage of high resolution is a wrong way of thinking.

High resolution is great, but only with undistorted textures..
Going into distortion just to use high resolution is totally going the wrong way.

Better have high quality at low resolution then bad qualty on high resolution.

I rest my case here.

Leen

Dude, I didn't make the paintkit. I have no control of this. If you don't like it, don't download it. It's what is available. Don't lecture me about texture resolution when I have no control over this. Peace out.

No no, do not misunderstand my words. ( In duglish )

I did not say YOU cropped.

I said the texture IS cropped, by the modeller who made the plane.

You did an excellent paintjob.

What I ment to say is that, such excellent paintwork should better be spent on models of wich the textures are no so badly mapped.
I really do not acccuse you of  cropping.

The makers of the model are to blaim , IF we want to blaim someone, wich is not my intention.

I started my comment with  "very well done"
Thats  a compliment wich I certainly would not  have given when I knew you were to blaim for the cropping.

Best regards

Leen de Jager

Apart from that  I said  cropped I probably shoulds better have said  horizontally compressed texture wich gets stretched on the model.

I wrote  as a matter of fact earlier on this topic    Cropped means in this case horizontally compressed

Edited by Leen de Jager
to few corrections in bad english
  • Upvote 1

Alaskan has a lot of flights to Hawaii, so there's a good connection for ya :-)

And while I can't speak for someone else, I read Leen's remarks as, "You did a great job, it's unfortunate that the paintkit doesn't reward such effort as well it should if it wasn't horizontally compressed." I.E. you got a great compliment from one of the most well-known texture artists in the X-Plane community.

Edited by hobofat
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hobofat said:

Alaskan has a lot of flights to Hawaii, so there's a good connection for ya :-)

And while I can't speak for someone else, I read Leen's remarks as, "You did a great job, it's unfortunate that the paintkit doesn't reward such effort as well it should if it wasn't horizontally compressed." I.E. you got a great compliment from one of the most well-known texture artists in the X-Plane community.

I understood the comment, I misunderstood what he was criticizing. However, saying that the skill is "wasted" on working with the compressed texture is a bit ridiculous, it's the X737, pretty much the only high-quality freeware out there for this sim, but like I said, I totally understand the criticism of the texture itself now. :) 

About Hawaii... I really hope Alaska does a Hawaii livery like their old one with the Eskimo wearing a lay. Although with this colour scheme I have no idea how they would achieve that without making it look dreadful. The colours are already pretty Hawaiian. I just jumped on this particular livery because I was so excited to see an airline stuck in the nineties modernizing their look! :)