New PC for x-plane 10 and for the new ixeg 737cl

Veace

Hello everyone!

I've been a Mac user for over 7 years and will continue to be a big fan of apple products, but to run x-plane with great graphics at reasonable price tag PC is the way to go.

I've been an IT service technician in the past for approximately 5 years and have built and tested lots of components and system configurations.

This is what I have built for me for 1000 euro

Specs

Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake

MSI H110I Pro, Socket-1151

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB ITX

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 16GB

Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX B

Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5"

Corsair H55 Hydro Series CPU

Corsair CX 500M, 500W PSU

Logitech Wireless Desktop MK330

IMG_3406.jpg

OS Windows 8.1 pro

Im extreamly pleased with frames and graphics that i get from this built

Frame rates are superb with MD80.

Have read complains of users with pretty HIGH PC specs complaining of frame rates.

For me its not the case smile.png

Setup

Rotate-MD-80_5.jpg

Cockpit FPS 

fps-xp-md80.jpg

Outside view

Rotate-MD-80_2.jpg

CPU&GPU temperature in full load

x-plane-10-cpu-gpu-temp.jpg

I know that in a post I told Jan that I'm not interested in investing in a new hardware, but for the love of x-plane and IXEG 737 why not!

• Upvote 1

Interesting post! I'd like to know what makes the difference between getting 25fps and getting 60fps.

I have a core i5-3570K OC'd to 4.2GHz, with a Corsair something-or-other water cooler; 8Gb of 1600MHz RAM; and a fairly recent upgrade to my graphics hardware, a GTX980Ti.

I seem to be CPU limited (surprise surprise with a graphics card like that), and in particular roads are a real killer especially flying over dense urban sprawls. London is particularly bad, and it doesn't help matters that I have Aerosoft Heathrow installed. It looks fabulous, among the best I've seen for X-Plane, but with the London metropolis in the background, the frame rates are poor and nothing flies particularly well in or out of EGLL.

I can run HD Meshes, or I can run extended DSFs, but not both at the same time or it kills my frames as well. It would be interesting to know what scenery you're running, but the screenshots all look like it's stock X-Plane scenery.

CPU rarely is under enough load to spool up my cooler fan, it just feels there is a severe bottleneck somewhere. I wonder what difference faster RAM would make, especially with an already overclocked CPU? I'm thinking my CPU might be struggling to read & write the data fast enough from standard speed RAM.

I understand this is not a general X-Plane forum but cracking the frame rate problem and getting X-Plane running well will be critical to enjoying a product like the IXEG 737. 

Nice post Veace.  I too just built a new rig with a 4790k and GTX 980.  A vast improvement in my XPlane experience over my 09' iMac.  I'm very happy with my fps as I'm able to run everything maxed out with 40-60 fps in 99% of the airspace.  It will slow to 18-25 in places like London/NYC, but all I have to do is lower the screen resolution a notch and all is good even in those areas.  

Unfortunately, I'm all about eye candy, so I like to have everything on max; and that, at times, presents an fps problem.  

Congrats on your new rig and hopefully the 737 will be here soon. 

I know what you mean about the Mac. I have a 5k iMac with the following:

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Total Number of Cores: 4

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 24 GB

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB

SSD 500GB

And with this, sitting on the runway in Seattle in the FF767, I am getting 21 fps - of course higher when I gain altitude.

Hoping that the 732 will be better.  

Edited by Whiskey Rebel

Nice post Veace.  I too just built a new rig with a 4790k and GTX 980.  A vast improvement in my XPlane experience over my 09' iMac.  I'm very happy with my fps as I'm able to run everything maxed out with 40-60 fps in 99% of the airspace.  It will slow to 18-25 in places like London/NYC, but all I have to do is lower the screen resolution a notch and all is good even in those areas.  

Unfortunately, I'm all about eye candy, so I like to have everything on max; and that, at times, presents an fps problem.  

Congrats on your new rig and hopefully the 737 will be here soon. 

I have noticed one thing when im flying im more interested in the look of cockpit and when i approach for landing to what i see through the windscreen the rest is not that important for me as long as i have a great plane that keeps me busy throughout my flight  

Interesting post! I'd like to know what makes the difference between getting 25fps and getting 60fps.

I have a core i5-3570K OC'd to 4.2GHz, with a Corsair something-or-other water cooler; 8Gb of 1600MHz RAM; and a fairly recent upgrade to my graphics hardware, a GTX980Ti.

I seem to be CPU limited (surprise surprise with a graphics card like that), and in particular roads are a real killer especially flying over dense urban sprawls. London is particularly bad, and it doesn't help matters that I have Aerosoft Heathrow installed. It looks fabulous, among the best I've seen for X-Plane, but with the London metropolis in the background, the frame rates are poor and nothing flies particularly well in or out of EGLL.

I can run HD Meshes, or I can run extended DSFs, but not both at the same time or it kills my frames as well. It would be interesting to know what scenery you're running, but the screenshots all look like it's stock X-Plane scenery.

CPU rarely is under enough load to spool up my cooler fan, it just feels there is a severe bottleneck somewhere. I wonder what difference faster RAM would make, especially with an already overclocked CPU? I'm thinking my CPU might be struggling to read & write the data fast enough from standard speed RAM.

I understand this is not a general X-Plane forum but cracking the frame rate problem and getting X-Plane running well will be critical to enjoying a product like the IXEG 737. 

Yes I run stock scenery with high quality airports like MisterX HD mesh im not that interested. Since my FL are higher than 28000ft i dont spend time by looking at them.

Interesting to know. I too need to upgrade because currently, my computer cannot handle scenery at all (except the airports) and when the smallest cloud appears, my frame rate drops by around 20. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what you think of this computer:http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=20593 I have heard many great reviews, but I want to make sure it is worth it.

Interesting to know. I too need to upgrade because currently, my computer cannot handle scenery at all (except the airports) and when the smallest cloud appears, my frame rate drops by around 20. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what you think of this computer:http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=20593 I have heard many great reviews, but I want to make sure it is worth it.

In regards to specs it looks like something that i have built except the graphic card which is slower and has only 8gb of ram. MB is a H170 mine is H110 does not support Raid and im not interested in raid for x-plane 0% gain in frame rates

get a gtx970 look for GPU at ROPs and mem bus 256bit i5 6600 its more than enough    

radeon R9 380x  spec 

Shading Units: 2048 TMUs: 128 ROPs: 32

GTX 970 spec

Shading Units: 1664 TMUs: 104 ROPs: 56 SMM Count: 13

Price of R9 380x is lower and i think if we compare what you get for your money those two card are on the same level.

If we talk performance and you don't care to pay more than get GTX

Not a bad rig, but I believe you can do better by buying parts and building it yourself.  I just built an XP only PC with an i7-4790k coupled to the MSI GTX 980 graphics card.  The 4790k is not as new as the Skylake CPUs, but for XP the faster clock speed and lower cost made it the best option.  I used the Fractal Design Define S case and think it's awesome.  

Also, do not go lower than an 80+ Gold rating on your power supply if you could potentially be over clocking your CPU or GPU.  Which, BTW you definitely should.  It's so easy and you can get 15-25% performance boost for free, but you need stable power to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2016 at 10:50 AM, Veace said:

In regards to specs it looks like something that i have built except the graphic card which is slower and has only 8gb of ram. MB is a H170 mine is H110 does not support Raid and im not interested in raid for x-plane 0% gain in frame rates

get a gtx970 look for GPU at ROPs and mem bus 256bit i5 6600 its more than enough    

radeon R9 380x  spec 

Shading Units: 2048 TMUs: 128 ROPs: 32

GTX 970 spec

Shading Units: 1664 TMUs: 104 ROPs: 56 SMM Count: 13

Price of R9 380x is lower and i think if we compare what you get for your money those two card are on the same level.

If we talk performance and you don't care to pay more than get GTX

On 1/24/2016 at 0:19 PM, Nano said:

Not a bad rig, but I believe you can do better by buying parts and building it yourself.  I just built an XP only PC with an i7-4790k coupled to the MSI GTX 980 graphics card.  The 4790k is not as new as the Skylake CPUs, but for XP the faster clock speed and lower cost made it the best option.  I used the Fractal Design Define S case and think it's awesome.  

Also, do not go lower than an 80+ Gold rating on your power supply if you could potentially be over clocking your CPU or GPU.  Which, BTW you definitely should.  It's so easy and you can get 15-25% performance boost for free, but you need stable power to do it.

Thanks guys! I will work with it and see what I can do. Also, the reason I'm not building a computer is that it seems very intimidating to me :/

16 hours ago, sizziano said:

Only thing I can really critique is that CX PSU. Not the best quality for an enthusiast build like this.

The psu it is more than enough for what I have built. It is a good quality with more than enough power to serv my systems needs.

Check this review and you will understand why I thought  its best in terms of price and performance

http://www.eteknix.com/corsair-cx500m-semi-modular-power-supply/ 

2 hours ago, Veace said:

The psu it is more than enough for what I have built. It is a good quality with more than enough power to serv my systems needs.

52 minutes ago, Veace said:

Check this review and you will understand why I thought  its best in terms of price and performance

http://www.eteknix.com/corsair-cx500m-semi-modular-power-supply/ 

I wondered why you said this whilst quoting my post :P. It all makes sense now :D 

5 hours ago, bigbasspic said:

Veace,

thanks for this valuable information! Being a Mac-XP-Flyer I am looking for a midpriced pc for this hobby – you know why :-) Could you give any information if an i7 would be worth the extra cost (XP mainly) ?

Bassy regards
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin!

If you have the extra money for an i7 than you can buy it, but I'm not so sure that you will get more fps for the extra cost of an i7 cpu. Sure it has HT more L2  and L1 and higher clock speed but for xplane I'm not so convinced you will need that.

With my i5 skylake I get a cpu load of 30-40% in x plane. Invest in a good video card, xplane uses a lot of resources from gpu and v-ram.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane take more advantage from a CPU with a higher frequency for single core than a CPU with an higher number of cores, and HT is not the best option because it could reduce the processing power of the core that is used to run X-Plane main task, so an i5 with an higher frequency should be better than an i7 with a lower frequency (sorry but English is not my native language, I hope I explained that well enough).

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, boeingornotgoing said:

Being an Apple fan myself and not using PC personally unless forced too.  How do you plan on getting product hardware support for a home built machine.    Sacrificing performance for aesthetics, support and integration always trumps imo. 

Components have their own warranty. Components are designed to function with other components. If they do not perform the way they are supposed to -> usually warranty.
I also have a homebuilt PC, upgraded some components. Had it for a couple of years now and never had any hardware trouble.

And homebuilt PCs are usually much cheaper than prefabs. If something fails and warranty has expired? Well, I'll just buy a new component. So no biggie.