Someone help me choose a new Video Card.

captainamerican

Hey guys, maybe I'm not the most competent when it comes to X-Plane and Hardware. 

I am running X-Plane on a Mac Pro computer which really limits my options when it comes to software and hardware. However, I have a good feeling about AMD Cards and would like to ask someone who is running AMD GPUs:

Is it worth it?

I am thinking of purchasing an AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video card for my computer. Its one of the few that come with mini display ports for my thunderbolt display. However, there are other AMD cards out there, such as the AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video card.

Both the R9 280X and the HD 7950 are the same price and have similar specs, so which one should I purchase and would run well on X-Plane?

(I am happy with a 3GB card because I don't run many addons and already run X-Plane at 20 FPS with a 1GB card. I only want a new GPU to get even higher frame rates without really changing my settings)

Thank you!

Happy Holidays.

The biggest issue with third party cards for Mac Pros is that most of them only run at half speed PCI Express. On the right type of 7950, you can pop off a resistor that will take it to full speed PCIe, I did this with my own 7950 in a 09 Mac Pro. There is lots of graphic cards info at the Mac Pro section on the Mac Rumours site. Take a look there for the latest state of play with Mac graphics cards

• 5 weeks later...