How will you handle additional liveries?

McBlemmen

• 2 weeks later...
I don't mind buying high quality livery packs made by the developer, as long as free liveries are also an option. I think it is perfectly ethical.

It's ethical when quality control is in line and you work your tail off on them (think McPhat for FS).

This has NOT been the case with currently released paid for livery packs. Lack of care/QC with some very obvious issues is nickle and diming at its best.

That said, feel free to shoot me a message to setup a special product page for just you so I can tack on an extra $30 to your 737 purchase! :)

It's ethical when quality control is in line and you work your tail off on them (think McPhat for FS). This has NOT been the case with currently released paid for livery packs. Lack of care/QC with some very obvious issues is nickle and diming at its best. That said, feel free to shoot me a message to setup a special product page for just you so I can tack on an extra $30 to your 737 purchase! :)

With, say, an expansion pack, the developers made an addon to the simulation itself that enhances the functionality or appeal of the product. I'm perfectly okay with paying for that (especially considering it's not something the community can do on their own)

Livery packs aren't really an addon, they're just a different skin for the plane (and something that the community can, and loves to, make). They're not something that should be part of the product's commercial outlook (if that makes any sense). If you want to release a paid livery package later in collaboration with McPhat or something (and it's good), then go ahead, but the "day 1 DLC" thing we've seen before just turns me off.

With, say, an expansion pack, the developers made an addon to the simulation itself that enhances the functionality or appeal of the product. I'm perfectly okay with paying for that (especially considering it's not something the community can do on their own)

Livery packs aren't really an addon, they're just a different skin for the plane (and something that the community can, and loves to, make). They're not something that should be part of the product's commercial outlook (if that makes any sense). If you want to release a paid livery package later in collaboration with McPhat or something (and it's good), then go ahead, but the "day 1 DLC" thing we've seen before just turns me off.

I was never trying to imply cooperation with McPhat. I just feel work like theirs justifies the price paid. They care.

DLC packs like we have seen thus far for XP have very little care, and for that reason alone I very much dislike the tactic.

Neither here nor there though. Liveries for the 737 will be free.

• Upvote 2

I was never trying to imply cooperation with McPhat. I just feel work like theirs justifies the price paid. They care.

DLC packs like we have seen thus far for XP have very little care, and for that reason alone I very much dislike the tactic.

Neither here nor there though. Liveries for the 737 will be free

I'm not disagreeing with you. 

Our community produces such great liveries that we can certainly do without McPhat, although they'd be a huge boon. 

Agree.

Disagree.

They do a phenomenal job, and to this date nothing comes close to the detail they produce. It would be great to have them "here".

That's fair, I haven't really seen much (or used any) of their work thus far so I can't really make too much of a comparison. 

And pls one or two liveries for Boliviana de Aviacion, LC Peru and Peruvian Airlines. Not sure about the last two. One of them may only operate the -500. But BoA and an airline of Peru would be really appreciated since they fly approaches into high altitude airports like La Paz, Cusco, Sucre.

But don't be too much distracted from developing the plane itself :D

Greetings from Germany

There is an absolute ton of payware scenery out there for X-Plane, it's coming out now faster than most people's budgets will let them buy it, and the quality seems to be getting better and better. I'd rather support the scenery developers than giving more money to an aircraft developer after I've already bought their aircraft.

There are also plenty other aircraft for X-Plane - yes, many are overpriced, some are incomplete and probably shouldn't even be on sale, but if you look beyond jet airliners there are loads of other aircraft and they are quite inexpensive. The price of 3 or 4 livery packs will buy you a half-decent GA, turboprop, military jet or helicopter to go and have fun with. How much fun can you have with a livery pack?

Really, I can't think of a worse thing to spend money on than livery packs...

Happy new year everyone, I'm off for a drink!

Edited by captain_alligator

I went ahead and bought Europe livery pack #2 for FF/Skyteam 767 when it was released. I wanted Blue Panorama paint that much.

This is what you get for your hard earned money:

s4qohs.png

This is what you get for free (released yesterday at the .org):

334ite0.png

The freeware version is not 100% correct, but it's a difference between day and night when comparing both.

Check out details, see how the logo on the engine is wrong in the payware version etc...

Edited by niebieski

I'm of mixed emotions on this one. We (Alex and I at XPJ) put out two packs for FJS' 727 when it was first released. My motivations for doing so were that both of us have quite the soft spot for the airplane, and it was worth it to us to get our hands on the paint kit and do many of its most prolific operators some justice.

What we found was that by the end of the process, we'd ended up stripping out most of the original paint kit details and effectively remastering the textures for the whole plane. End result was that our work (or so I'd like to think anyway) was a step up from the default liveries and the 'mega packs' that were shipped alongside the aircraft. Was it a particularly lucrative project? Not in the least. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just released the liveries for free had the plane's licensing allowed for it at the time. Having looked at the livery pack offerings for the FlightFactor airplanes, there are several negatives to their structure, most notably that they charge for both fictional operators (i.e. airlines that have never flown the aircraft), and their paints are of questionable accuracy and quality as evidenced above.

It's an ok idea in theory to charge for paint in order to compensate texture artists, but the effort has to be worth the price. I'm in agreement with Cameron that the current offerings on the X-Plane market are certainly not so.

• 1 month later...