X-Camera

Vantskruv

I have no idea. I have never used X-Camera, nor have I ever felt the need for an extra camera plugin. I think that the X-Plane view system leaves nothing to be desired, but of course that might be due to me never having tried something else.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan

I use X-Camera chronically. And that's down to TrackIR. Sometimes I want to see something in the plane (FMC / right side of plane) and the angle of TrackIR will go to its limit or make it a bit hard to operate (in the case of the FMC). I just map static views and flip between them from my joystick d-pad and back to my TrackIR view.

I think what Vantskruv is thinking about is for example the A/T indicators that dynamically pop up on the screen. Seeing that X-Camera is basically an extension of the built-in viewer I personally doubt it will mess around with such indications as I've seen that animation pop up even when looking externally at the 737 during takeoff from Jan's videos.

The only time X-Camera gives me a "problem" is when a plane has static custom views (Saab 340 as an example - it will go to a view I select and then go back to default view - in this case trackir) or a walk around procedure with interactive click spots. Then I typically disable it for that walk around and then enable it once I am in the cockpit again or I just map the custom views of the plane to X-Camera views. 

• Upvote 1

The good thing about X-Camera is, that you can create THE views you like in the way you want them to have. Either with TrackIR or without, with desired zoom, angle, position, external, internal, flyby... Whatever...

It will surely be a bit in concurrence with IXEG's views system, as it's with LES Saab or the Carenado planes.

But if we still use X-Camera, which is the best way to enjoy all benefits and possibilities of TrackIR, we need to create our own views for the Bobby. That isn't a big deal. Overhead, FMS, pedestal etc... Should be done in a view minutes.

• Upvote 2

Default X-Plane's view system is not vey good with TrackIR. One example is not having the ablity to set boundries in the flightdeck. Nothing is worse than using X-Plane's default view system with TrackIR only to have the camera move outside the flighdeck when you go beound the boundries of the model's frame. X-Plane's camera system is okay, but I would assume that the majority of us that use TrackIR are propbably also using XCamera, as it produces the absolute best expierence when using TrackIR. XCamera also manages tracked head movements 1000x better than the default camera system.

• Upvote 1

Default X-Plane's view system is not vey good with TrackIR. One example is not having the ablity to set boundries in the flightdeck. Nothing is worse than using X-Plane's default view system with TrackIR only to have the camera move outside the flighdeck when you go beound the boundries of the model's frame. X-Plane's camera system is okay, but I would assume that the majority of us that use TrackIR are propbably also using XCamera, as it produces the absolute best expierence when using TrackIR. XCamera also manages tracked head movements 1000x better than the default camera system.

Alright, looks like I will have to look into using X-Camera myself, then! After we get this plane done...

Thanks for everyone´s input,

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, looks like I will have to look into using X-Camera myself, then! After we get this plane done...

Thanks for everyone´s input,

Jan

Hello Jan

In this video you said that you're using Track IR. The way the camera was kind of floaty leads me to believe that you were using Track IR with default X-Plane camera. In the video notice how floaty your Track IR camera was using the default X-Plane settings. This floaty look is not realistic and degrades the immersion. Now try that same video, but this time use X-Camera with Track IR and you will notice a big difference in how your Track IR performers. Also you can set position limits so the camera does not move outside the flight deck. You're not limited to the 9 or so camera presets. X-Camera is my number one add on favorite. Give stick and rudder's X-Camera a try, I believe it's still donation ware for the latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EAQ7WIgkw

Edited by hadoken

Hello Jan

In this video you said that you're using Track IR. The way the camera was kind of floaty leads me to believe that you were using Track IR with default X-Plane camera. In the video notice how floaty your Track IR camera was using the default X-Plane settings. This floaty look is not realistic and degrades the immersion. Now try that same video, but this time use X-Camera with Track IR and you will notice a big difference in how your Track IR performers. Also you can set position limits so the camera does not move outside the flight deck. You're not limited to the 9 or so camera presets. X-Camera is my number one add on favorite. Give stick and rudder's X-Camera a try, I believe it's still donation ware for the latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EAQ7WIgkw

Ha, I think you are just trying to get a new video with the 737! :P

Seriously, thanks for the detailed explanation, I will definitely try that. The truth is that I am old and don´t adopt well to new things ;) . Every new software takes me out of my comfort zone, and I don´t even use TrackIR during my testing of our 737, because it takes too much time to start the software, put on the hat, get everything centered...

Jan

Ha, I think you are just trying to get a new video with the 737! :P

Seriously, thanks for the detailed explanation, I will definitely try that. The truth is that I am old and don´t adopt well to new things ;) . Every new software takes me out of my comfort zone, and I don´t even use TrackIR during my testing of our 737, because it takes too much time to start the software, put on the hat, get everything centered...

Jan

Ha you can't fault me for trying to get a new video of this masterpiece :)

The hat? My friend we seriously need to get you upgraded to the track clip for Track IR. Soooo.. much more easier to deal with. Natural Point had some issues in the begining with them being flemsy, but as of last years batch they fixed the issue making them 100x times more sturdy.

Yes you can actually drop them now without it breaking.

None the less you guys are doing an awesome job with this project. I will continue to hold short of the runway in anticipation of the next video.

Hello Jan

In this video you said that you're using Track IR. The way the camera was kind of floaty leads me to believe that you were using Track IR with default X-Plane camera. In the video notice how floaty your Track IR camera was using the default X-Plane settings. This floaty look is not realistic and degrades the immersion. Now try that same video, but this time use X-Camera with Track IR and you will notice a big difference in how your Track IR performers. Also you can set position limits so the camera does not move outside the flight deck. You're not limited to the 9 or so camera presets. X-Camera is my number one add on favorite. Give stick and rudder's X-Camera a try, I believe it's still donation ware for the latest version.

I'm planning to get a track ir5 especially for DCS, is Xcamera a nice addition for the track IR5?

CMB

Sent from Tapatalk

Note for those who will be using TrackIR and X-Camera:

Disable TrackIR in X-Plane, as X-Camera will handle the TrackIR itself.

The positives of this is:

* If you forget to start up the TrackIR software before starting X-Plane, you do not need to restart X-Plane. Just do ALT-TAB, start TrackIR software, and then disable and enable X-Camera plugin in the X-Camera menu in X-Plane.

* You may disable or enable TrackIR in different views and profiles.

X-Camera also supports the plugin Headshake, which makes your head wobble a little in turbulence. This may also be disabled in selected views in the X-Camera control panel.

Edit: When you have tried out TrackIR, you will never go back, I promise! :)

Edited by Vantskruv
  • Upvote 2

@Vantskruv Thanks a lot for the tip!

I use X-Camera and TIR myself and I'm really happy with it, even I paid for full activation (you can pay an amount you consider fair, it doesn't have a fixed price), but I didn't know it worked without marking TIR in Xplane settings, it's a pain when you forget to activate before running XPlane.

• 2 weeks later...
@Vantskruv Thanks a lot for the tip!

I use X-Camera and TIR myself and I'm really happy with it, even I paid for full activation (you can pay an amount you consider fair, it doesn't have a fixed price), but I didn't know it worked without marking TIR in Xplane settings, it's a pain when you forget to activate before running XPlane.

I have received my track IR, could you help me set up xcameta with track IR ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, (I'm a little late posting to this topic as I got X-Camera last month) but I wanted to thank you for raising this question and introducing me to X-Camera!  It is by far one of my favorite plugins so far.  Between this and X-Assign these are the first two things I go in and config for each aircraft and new aircraft I get or have.  I use the TrackIR 5 on a mac and the X-Camera lets me control the limits and the views perfectly.  I love being able to set my views and have it automatically disable the TrackIR for each view and re-enable for others.   So again thanks for the introduction to this plugin!

Johnny