Delay of the FMC

cmbaviator

Hi guys.

After rewatching Tom's FMC video I notice something:

It seems that there is pretty much no latency between pressing LSR X ( or whatever it's called) and the execution of the FMC.

What I mean is that in IXEG ( based on Toms video) when you enter EDDF and enter it in the FMC by pressing the LSR 1 key, it is done in 0.05 sec whereas in a sim it takes like 0..3-0.4 s more than IXEG, this is what you can expect with late 80's hardware.

@4:20

http://youtu.be/yBKkUoFvn-g.

Not a big deal, more an eye candy thing. I was wondering if the latency will be added after v1.0

CMB

Sent from Tapatalk

Edited by cmbaviator

We're using a INTEL i7  based FMS.   Seriously, the FMS and CDUs are always being upgraded and do have 'software revisions'.  There are some features in later model FMSs than earlier ones.   We did have latency, but for testing, its a real PITA...we don't have that kind of time to wait.  Our flap extension is instantaneous too for testing.

I'm not 100% convinced I want the latency in there, no matter how "real" it is for older units.  I'd rather 'believe' that our 737 has a much upgraded hardware and software and I don't have to wait for those pesky calculations.

-tkyler

• Upvote 1

Also, I think the delay would be quite frustrating in some situations, because in real life you get physical feedback of actually pressing a button, whereas in the sim you wouldn't know it it's the FMC doing some calculations or if you just misclicked the key with your mouse, then you would click again and in the end it would show something like EEEDDFFF.

• Upvote 1

The reality is there's no way to "properly" simulate the lag anyhow. As Jan has said, over time airlines will invest and do CPU upgrades, thus making said systems much faster in calculation and reaction. Therefore, there's no correct "time", and truth be told we're not still in the 80's. We are very much so in the year 2015, where some 733's have most certainly been upgraded and are still in service.

Yeah how do we know the delay in that FMS in the video doesn't come from the fact it is operating in a sim environment? :-)    Perhaps likely not.

But those who pointed out that in single pilot flying on VATSIM given the vagaries of click spots and the workload already, I am all for no extra delay.   Intel i7 FMS for the win.