Super low FPS with a pretty good computer

crazYjIIGA

Hey all, so I just got a new laptop that is considered a gaming laptop, and it is one of the good ones. I am getting really bad FPS. For example, when I load the SAAB 340 on EGLL, the one that's paid, i get something like 12-14 fps, which is not even close to what I should even be getting. My last laptop was a macbook pro 13, and interesting part was that, my fps were the same as my new laptop. My specs are:

8gb of ram

Processor: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 2.4GHZ boost up to 3.4GHZ (Quad Core)

GPU: Nvidia GTX860M. This is a really good one, my friend has a razer with the same one and runs all games on at least 40 fps.

1000 GB hard drive + 250GB of SSD.

I don't really know what to do guys, any help would be appreciated, and I know these aren't even close to the FPS that I should even be getting. In Arma 3, which is a highly detailed game for the size of it, i never dip below 30 fps, even when I'm flying the jets or blowing stuff up. Also, I run Fallout 4 at High setting and the lest FPS I've ever gotten was 28, but that was when a crap ton of nukes went off. I run Arma on high too. I'll attach my log file

Thanks for the help

Log.txt

We will need more info... such as your render settings.  In addition, the Log.txt file you attached was created when you were running an aircraft named "DC9-32", not the Saab.  On top of that, the Log.txt file shows that the "FlyWithLua" plugin crashed running "RTH".

Hi, thanks for offering your help, but I will try to send you a picture before my lectures, I tried just now, and my drivers crashed, so I'll have to restart my laptop, and that'll take some time. If that's ok, can I send it tomorrow in the morning? Like 6:30AM central time. Thank you. I also don't know why my drivers crash with xp10, they're the newest nvidia drivers

Have a look at your GPU settings (right click desktop -> Nvidia Control Panel) -> you can try mine and see if it helps. Especially the Power mode and Threaded Optimization.

https://gyazo.com/f9085c3b2d13c77d104a4b249b3feee8Top half of settings

https://gyazo.com/b88d946eb82b77f4679e7ec0b54e1999Bottom half of settings

Next, for FlywithLua make sure you got the latest and applicable (32bit or 64bit) Python 3.5 installed.

Also, try a different plane if you can. And for me at least, uninstalling Geforce Experience and stopping NVbackend.exe from my startup also stopped that 15-20% CPU usage.

You have a mobile graphics chip. You're expecting way too much for this video card, and bluntly, what you want is unrealistic. Get a desktop if you want true performance (and even then you won't be getting crazy high fps).

Actually though? I mean look at this.. This is why it's weird, on this site it says I should be able to play it fine. My GPU isn't even working at full power. I don't hear my fans spin their a.. off like they do in Arma, so does X-Plane even use all 8 cores or just one? http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html 

• 3 weeks later...

I just took a look at your log.txt file and you seem to have quite a bit of rending options turned on.  I can see this from the I/REN settings in the txt file.  Also, you have HDR turned on.  That's a big time fps killer.  

From your cockpit photo, you can tell that you are CPU limited and not GPU.   Notice CPU at .024 and GPU at .011.  In this case your CPU is guiding you fps of 34.77 fps with is a very good fps IMHO.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Turn off HDR

2) Set Trees, Road, and Cars to "None"

3) Set Objects to "Default" this will ensure you have airport sceneries show up

4) Turn Clouds all the way down to 10%.

5) In SMP turn off cloud shadows to begin with and make sure clouds are not turned up too high.  

Now see what you are getting as you fly around.  You should be able to run with Screen Resolution set to "High" on 1080 with no problems and pretty high fps.  Be advised that weather changes will always have an impact on fps.  Many times a sever impact.  

Finally, know that, unlike PC games, XP is very CPU intensive at times during any given flight.  Your CPU is relatively slow for XP.  2.4Gz with 3.4Gz max is quite a ways behind something like the 4790K with stock speed of 4.0Gz and boost to 4.4Gz.  

Edited by Nano