Starting the aircraft

cruiserdaniels

Hi. I just got this plane a few days ago and really enjoy it. However, I always do the same start procedure and sometimes I can't start the left engine. The right starts everytime though. Also when I can't start the left engine and try the auto start feature even that can't start the engine. I was wondering if this is a bug, or if it is (more likely) that I am doing something wrong. I follow the checklist given and most of the time it works with the exception of this engine problem. Also, everytime I set the pressure panel to auto it says fault and won't work. If anyone knows what might cause this that would be great. Thanks.

Failure to start one engine seems pretty common. I get it quite frequently. In my experience, the only fix it to reload the aircraft.

On a slightly different note, I understand it is normal to start the left engine first. This is because the GPU is on the right. So you start the left engine with the GPU, then remove the GPU, then start the right engine.

Hi cruiserdaniels,

I also had the same starting issue when I first purchased the Saab 340 software. I found that restarting my computer completely helped on occasion, annoying but sometimes worked. I reinstalled with the latest version and have had no issues.

Regarding the pressurisation control panel,

When the mode selector on the pressurisation control panel is selected from MAN to AUTO, the fault light should illuminate temporarily (no longer than 3 seconds). This is actually a self test function of the pressurisation computer. If the fault light remains ON the automatic system has an issue. This is where crews would consult the Minimum Equipment List (MEL) book. This would then specify the procedure on how to operate with the system inoperative.

In your case is suggest the following,

-When selecting MAN to AUTO, check that the fault light illuminates then goes out. If it does not go out, make sure you reset the failures page in Xplane.

-If the fault light continues to illuminate, it may be some sort of programming issue that I cannot give any guidance on.

-If the fault light goes out as I explained above, next you need to ensure the Manual Pressurisation Control Knob is turned fully counter clockwise. If this knob is anywhere other than this position, a manual pressurisation valve will be partially open, this will cause pressurisation issues eg. Cabin altitude above 10,000ft and/or low cabin differential pressure. Also check that the A knob (altitude knob) is set to your landing airports elevation. If the altitude knob is substantially different to your destination airports elevation, the automatic pressurisation schedule will depressurise incorrectly. In real life this can cause a rapid change in cabin pressure when you land (As the pressurisation valves are driven to open upon landing). Uncomfortable and unsettling for your passengers. Next the B knob (Barometric knob) should just be (for simplicity sake) set and forgotten at 1013hpa/29.92 inches mercury.

kneighbour,

It depends on the operator which engine is started first. Some operators start the left engine first for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Other operators start the right engine first so the main door with the stairs on the left hand side is always available for evacuation. The only difference is that the guy disconnecting the GPU needs to 'duck' below the tailpipe exhaust so he doesn't get burnt and lose some hair.