Things that are NOT going to be in V1.5

Litjan

TCAS, even though rarely used IRL, is quite handy when flying on VATSIM, especially in uncontrolled airspaces. Same goes for hold function and even offset, which is a cool little trick to use when flying online with friends. Even though rarely used, in a flight sim they can be really handy! Just pitching in so you see what is important to the customers :) If I had a say, I'd have these functions before any of the other items!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, heinz92 said:

If I had a say, I'd have these functions before any of the other items!

noted...and the value thereof.  We will look into those features at the appointed time.  Hold and offset probably the easier...TCAS tougher, not so much because of vector algebra, but rather getting the data of each aircraft.  Besides....if we get TCAS, whose to say the other aircraft won't have a good implementation and the next thing you know you're crashing into each other anyhow.   OR perhaps you mean TCAS in a simple "2D top down view" simply to avoid other aircraft laterally?  As opposed to full blown "instructions" from the computer.

-tkyler

I have found that TCAS on VATSIM is really something I ignore mostly, especially when not being controlled.  Idiot pilots will be idiots... All TCAS does is annoy me.  Now if everyone had a TCAS system that formulated conflict resolution then maybe it would be something to put energy into.  Anyways, I am in the camp of "who cares" about TCAS features because the people it "saves" you from are the ones that don't care anyways.

My two cents.

Rizzo

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'd love TCAS, even if it's just a basic placeholder for now. During one of my lessons, a passenger (a former pilot) told me about an aircraft. If it had been a couple hundred feet higher and he hadn't told me about it, it would probably have been too late by the time I saw it. It was entirely my fault, but it makes me feel like TCAS is almost necessary in modern aircraft. I was actively looking for aircraft (I just didn't see it somehow), so if I had been looking at the TCAS I would have been able to spot it earlier and avoid any tiny chance of a collision. Anyways, I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could slip in a very basic (even default) TCAS before release so we have something.

-VETTE

• Upvote 2

I am in for a simple 2d traffic depiction on the EHSI, too. (I wouldnt call it tcas...)

Forgive me my ignorance, but aren't you guys using the default x-plane weather radar, of course with multiple layers on top? Maybe it would be "relative" simple to add the default traffic symbols to that layer and customize the texture of the traffic symbols? I personally wouldn't care much about the various different symbols and "modes" (filled diamond, dot, squares etc.) but just to have a very basic indication of surrounding traffic maybe with a relative altitude.

I'm just thinking out loud, you probably had this idea already years ago ;)

Greetings

Jonas

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cameron said:

Nope.

I'm guessing it's probably already been discussed in depth in some other thread, so before I annoyingly ask if one of the IXEG team could explain in detail what the Wx radar will entail, might I be directed to any such topic already discussed? I've seen small bits of your radar, but I'm very anxious to know more. In the couple videos in which I saw it, it looked astounding!

6 hours ago, Cameron said:

Well, it shows you weather. :)

Technically, thats not quite correct :P.

Just like the real weather radar we depict radar-energy returns. Radar energy will be reflected by liquid water (rain) and by the solid ground (in varying strength, depending on the reflectivity).

There will be a tutorial video that shows how to use the weather radar (overscanning, underscanning, ground returns, shadowing, etc.)

Jan

• Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • TCAS. Omitted due to time constraints, definitely planning to add later. This is a VERY complex system, and to get it right (including all the modes, synchronized avoiding behaviour of both TCAS systems involved in the conflict, multiplayer aircraft, correct EADI display) will take a long time. You can hear the basic X-Plane audio warning, but no symbology or resolution advisory for now. The system is also very rarely used in real flight (fortunately), so the return on investment (development time) is very low.

If I understand this correct. You can see the other traffic, but you dont get any advisory when on collision course etc?

Roger, thank you for your answer. :)

Hope you guys will reconsider the priority for that feature after v1.0 is released. Its a very neat feature for situation awareness when flying online. As mention in previous posts also. Especially in uncontrolled airspace. And it makes you feel less alone up there when flying ^^
The advisory function is not that important (for me), but the traffic would be awesome.

Tom Stian

Edited by Tom Stian Bjerk
  • Upvote 1

Is TCAS a neat feature? Sure as is ADS-B. But not every plane has a transponder and therefore will not show up on TCAS/ADS-B. Since you guys are wanting to be reliant on these forms of technology, you will end up having a mid-air due to your lack of scanning. You may claim that you indeed scan, but since in the back of your head you know you have TCAS waiting to save you, it is not adequate

This is a real world problem as well. Pilots become so reliant on the technology/automation, their stick and rudder skills aka basic piloting ability are lacking. Countless times I have been flying in real life and noticed planes that were not on my MFD. I am a huge proponent of ADS-B, but it doesn't replace your eyes and scan. 

And in a sim, having a mid-air has no consequences. Let them fly right through you and move on. TCAS as of now is a feature creep, not a necessary feature that the plane has to have for 1.0. 

Edited by ChevyRules

I only talk for my self @ChevyRules:)

As i said. Im not expecting/requesting TCAS to be implemented in v1.0.

But for me, since I only fly online on VATSIM, the TCAS feature is adding the little extra, for me.
Yeah I can fly through other planes and move on. But what does that give me? If people dont care about other traffic online they should fly offline.

I will love this plane anyway, with or without TCAS.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tom Stian said:

I only talk for my self @ChevyRules:)

As i said. Im not expecting/requesting TCAS to be implemented in v1.0.

But for me, since I only fly online on VATSIM, the TCAS feature is adding the little extra, for me.
Yeah I can fly through other planes and move on. But what does that give me? If people dont care about other traffic online they should fly offline.

I will love this plane anyway, with or without TCAS.

I know. Wasn't directly speaking to you or anyone else. 

It's just one of those things I see on here and other forums and I am perplexed by it. Back when Rotate said their MD-88 would lack TCAS at 1.0, people said that was a deal breaker. That confuses me. I fly on PilotEdge and I do take it seriously. But I do remember it is a sim and if I make a mistake( ATC procedure wise, plane hitting me, etc) I take it, learn from it, and move on. The 733 lacking TCAS for 1.0 is not that big of a deal( to me at least). There are a lot more important features the plane needs to have for release than TCAS. I just find people tend to overvalue TCAS. 

• Upvote 3

To add to the discussion above, I feel that TCAS isn't much of a deal. I have yet to actually use it in vatsim. I feel that there aren't that many players in vatsim to have TCAS be a useful feature. When there is no atc, the airspace is usually pretty empty, and when there is atc, atc usually has good control over the airspace. Just like chevy said, if something does happen (which is quite rare) it is a sim and no one is hurt.

About the list of V1.0 features that won't be included, I would like to have wing flex added after 1.0 (I do x plane 10 videos so wing flex is a very nice touch for me). For the 3D modeling, the opening and closing of the doors are pretty high on my priority list as it adds a nice touch considering I have the ground services deluxe.

Great work guys and I can't wait to fly this plane! Just don't release between April 11 - 23, I have exams and I would need to focus on passing ;P

i want an aircraft with as few bugs as possible.

Dont know much about programming but I do know it's horrendously difficult to get everything working together.  As soon as you introduce a new feature the combinations and permutations of things that can now go wrong increase exponentially.  Thats not even including Interacting with addons or X Plane version changes!  Horizon targets are always moving and changing.

Bugs are everywhere!!! 

Would prefer a virtually bug free aircraft (problem is it may be bug free today but tomorrow who knows!) with few options than one that can flex its wing, show snow, have every FMC option and scream TCAS alert, BUT is buggy buggy buggy.

Their will never be a bugfree program in the world, and a good approach is to just make the code crashsafe, and make it available for user to restart. I.e. in the case if FMC bugs out, pilot should be able to pull the breaker, i.e. restart the FMC. I need to check the first post if breakers for FMC is not implemented. ;)

6 hours ago, fffirefly said:

i want an aircraft with as few bugs as possible.

Dont know much about programming but I do know it's horrendously difficult to get everything working together.  As soon as you introduce a new feature the combinations and permutations of things that can now go wrong increase exponentially.  Thats not even including Interacting with addons or X Plane version changes!  Horizon targets are always moving and changing.

Bugs are everywhere!!! 

Would prefer a virtually bug free aircraft (problem is it may be bug free today but tomorrow who knows!) with few options than one that can flex its wing, show snow, have every FMC option and scream TCAS alert, BUT is buggy buggy buggy.

I'm not saying to add these featuers now, i'm just saying to add these features after V1.0, where bugs can be sorted out.

23 minutes ago, poodster said:

I'm not saying to add these featuers now, i'm just saying to add these features after V1.0, where bugs can be sorted out.

My sentiment exactly.  When everyone was peppering Cameron as to when this a/c was going to be released, he replied 'when it's ready'.  I defended his reply from the standpoint that it should be released when it is ready to be released, meaning almost completely bug free.  As a result I got a bunch of dislikes hence my negative reputation.

For me personally I can wait another year if need be.  Tired of products being released only to have their forums quickly filled with bug complaints.

All these suggestions of 'nice to haves' are great and I look forward to them.  They surely have been noted by IXEG and will be added in subsequent versions.

• Upvote 3

• Litjan changed the title to Things that are NOT going to be in V1.31
  • Litjan changed the title to Things that are NOT going to be in V1.5
  • Morten pinned this topic