Pax door and cargo door and condition levers?

charlie130

I was just wondering if there could be another way to open and close the Passenger and cargo door?

I know the manual clearly states the click spot procedures, however you must be in shift 9 "roaming" view and meander to the inside of the pax door to start clicking.

I have no idea how to close the door using the reverse click method, since the reverse procedure involves clicking spots that are behind the door once its opened?

Likewise, you have to roam to the outside cargo door to open that and once open you can't close it.

Of course the doors close automatically after engine start, but I am too busy to see that action.

The animations are superbly done, ditto the stairs, but could there be another method implemented. I was thinking of a link to de lux ground handling, ( similar to the way GSX opens the doors when its used in the "other" sim?) and then for the doors to close when loading is done.

Failing that, perhaps a menu panel item?

Secondly, I took off the other day with the condition levers in "min" position. Is that possible in the real aircraft? Has any one else come across this?

Thanks for a wonderful sim.

Regards

David.

I was just wondering if there could be another way to open and close the Passenger and cargo door?

The animations are superbly done, ditto the stairs, but could there be another method implemented. I was thinking of a link to de lux ground handling, ( similar to the way GSX opens the doors when its used in the "other" sim?) and then for the doors to close when loading is done.

Failing that, perhaps a menu panel item?

We may consider a "menu" item in the future.  I have no idea what GSX is.

I know the manual clearly states the click spot procedures, however you must be in shift 9 "roaming" view and meander to the inside of the pax door to start clicking.
It is a requirement that you be in "3D Cockpit" mode in order to use manipulators in X-Plane.

I have no idea how to close the door using the reverse click method, since the reverse procedure involves clicking spots that are behind the door once its opened?
The click spot is there (thru the fuselage wall), you just need to search for it.  

Likewise, you have to roam to the outside cargo door to open that and once open you can't close it.
Again, you need to be in "3D'cockpit mode to use manipulators.  Unless there is bug that I don't know of, you should be able to click on the cargo door handle to close it.

Of course the doors close automatically after engine start, but I am too busy to see that action.
The doors will only close with "Auto-Start", as all systems are reset.  If you do a manual start the doors DO NOT automatically close.

Secondly, I took off the other day with the condition levers in "min" position. Is that possible in the real aircraft? Has any one else come across this?
I'm not sure if that is "possible" in the real aircraft.  I would think your takeoff run would be rather long.

On the pax door issue, it could be a bit difficult to text explain. So look at this video starting at 00:47 for the clic spots to close it. it is quite easy.

In the views issue:

1. you can use preset saab view panel to move around quickly (walk around->internal->flashlight view)

2. or you can preset your own shortcuts using xplane quick views feature. I do have a quick view set to the cabin so i can handle cabin matters.

I been on the saab 340 many times (My brother in law is a real life 340 pilot) and yes, you can take off on MIN configuration specially if conditions are given. You are not fully loaded, you are at or close to sea level, enough runway length, etc.

But it is not recommended at all, because your climb rate reduces and if you miss an engine it will catch you too close to the ground.

on the cargo door (walk around->pos9->cargo door view)

you clic on the handlebar to rotate and unlock

you clic centered on the door panel to open (it will lift up)

you clic centered where the door panel should be behind fuselage and above to close it

you clic the handlebar to lock

edit: provided a reference for the saab preset view for the pax door operation

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

We may consider a "menu" item in the future.  I have no idea what GSX is

Thanks for the reply Jim.

A menu item would be nice.

In FSX and P3d there is a ground handling program GSX. You call them,from a menu, a little like Ground Handling De lux by Jardesigns. When the Cargo Loader arrives in position, the cargo doors open. They use FSX custom door opening codes. My imagination was running away with me and I thought how good something like this could be on this aircraft. In fact all X Plane aircraft with opening doors.

But I guess its up to Jardesigns to figure out a way to do it?

In the views issue:

1. you can use preset saab view panel to move around quickly (walk around->internal->flashlight view)

2. or you can preset your own shortcuts using xplane quick views feature. I do have a quick view set to the cabin so i can handle cabin matters.

That's a good idea! I have all my num pad keys assigned to flight deck views, but I could assign a couple of them to the door opening positions. What was puzzling me was the pax door controls are behind the open door, so I couldn't find the click spots?

I appreciate how complex a control the condition levers are, controlling fuel flow and propeller pitch, but they also link to the throttles.

A friend of a friend flies these as Captain and confirms that the condition levers are set at max, from the after start. This is not how the Jetstream J41 flies. In that aircraft, you only set max condition (or flight condition) when your lined up for take off. There is a far more pronounced power surge in the J41, so you do not taxi with condition levers set to flight (or max).

Great fun flying these turbo props, they exude raw power and sound marvellous!

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

David

A friend of a friend flies these as Captain and confirms that the condition levers are set at max, from the after start. This is not how the Jetstream J41 flies. In that aircraft, you only set max condition (or flight condition) when your lined up for take off. There is a far more pronounced power surge in the J41, so you do not taxi with condition levers set to flight (or max).

I do not know anything about the J41.

When the Saab 340 is on the ground, you operate it by setting the throttles on the ground range (BETA MODE) which means the engine enters on a constant/rpm ratio (aprox 1100 rpm don't remember the value) and having the CLs on MIN or MAX does not make any difference.

When you are moving the throttles on beta mode you are not adding or removing engine trust, you are actually controlling the blade pitch 10 degree to have a consistent response for taxing, so you are avoiding to deal with the slow response nature of turbo engines to throttle setting which makes them impractical on the ground for taxing.

From after start the CLs goes to MAX because they do not have to deal with taxing, that is what the procedure calls for maximum performance on takeoff and safety. If you takeoff anything lower than MAX and you loose one engine during climb out the other engine will not provide enough torque and you will crash, they must be in MAX for safety no matter you are brave enough to risk your life and others in such case something goes wrong. The aircraft can handle a MIN CL takeoff on given conditions but no profesional pilot will be dumb as enough to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charlie,

In the real aircraft, Yes it is possible to attempt a takeoff with the condition levers anywhere in the MIN-MAX range.

If the condition levers are below the MAX position when the power levers are advanced above the 64 degree power lever angle on the ground, you will get MASTER WARNING-CONFIG, and an intermittent horn that will sound continuously. With the condition levers in the MIN position during takeoff, the propeller blade angle will not be in the most efficient position. This will cause a reduction in takeoff performance.

Loose condition levers that haven't had the friction lock set prior to takeoff can vibrate off the MAX position. This causes the CONFIG warning to go off and generally results in a high speed rejected takeoff. This has caused a lot of crews grief over the years.

It is important to physically check the condition levers are pushed up to max and the friction lock is set prior to takeoff.

When you are moving the throttles on beta mode you are not adding or removing engine trust, you are actually controlling the blade pitch 10 degree to have a consistent response for taxing, so you are avoiding to deal with the slow response nature of turbo engines to throttle setting which makes them impractical on the ground for taxing.

Yes quite, but even in beta range with condition levers in max position I require plenty of brake applications to prevent her kangaroooing off the ramp! Works better in the sim (for me personally) if I keep the condition levers min.

If the condition levers are below the MAX position when the power levers are advanced above the 64 degree power lever angle on the ground, you will get MASTER WARNING-CONFIG, and an intermittent horn that will sound continuously. With the condition levers in the MIN position during takeoff, the propeller blade angle will not be in the most efficient position.

Thanks Wolf, very professional answer. I would have benefited from the MASTER WARN CONFIG alarm, but I don't believe it's modelled in the sim. By completing the checklist items, I would have eliminated the issue. Very interesting about the friction locks not being on. That's something even a checklist item can't cover I guess.

Thanks again.

David