Independent FMCs

Eddie

Just to be clear, I am referring to the actual FMC and not merely the MCDU. To quote from the 737 Technical Site:

"Most aircraft have just one FMC, but there is an option to have two this is usually only taken by operators into MNPS airspace eg Oceanic areas. (...) There are normally 2 CDUs but only one FMC. Think of it as having two keyboards connected to the one PC."

There are two separate MCDU's which may be on different pages at any time. The information they receive is the SAME, but the view not mirrored.

In other words, the MCDU's do not mirror one another in the sense that both have to be on the same page. They are "connected" to a single computer, so the data, no matter if put in on left or right side is the same for each. 

For the record, it feels so wrong saying MCDU for a Boeing product of this generation. That's Airbus and new Boeing verbiage, but I'm just trying to make sure I relay this in a way you understand.

This is correct. Our 737 will have only one FMS, just like most of the Classic 737´s out there. So it´s just one computer connected to two control-display-units (CDU´s). If the one FMS fails, you loose it all. Therefore this (our) model would not be allowed to fly in the North Atlantic MNPS airspace.

That being said, I can guarantee that our FMS will not fail on you during the transatlantic flight, and I will not rat on you for taking the trip with just one FMS, either. :P  If you want to take the trip "full realism" you have to take the detour out of MNPS airspace, maybe top off the fuel in Keflavik, then over to Iqaluit or Gander. Depending on the headwinds...

The challenge is actually in getting this setup working. You can enter stuff on two different "keyboards", but need to keep tabs on each one, update information on both...its not trivial. You can have the LEGS page on both CDU´s, and both pilots *could* be editing away, that stuff makes a programmer drink too much coffee...

Having two or more FMS computers is easy. You just say "we have 5 FMS computers". Thats it. They all share and sync information (kinda like a raid 1 harddisk system). All computers have the same information. Unless all 5 fail, nothing happens (except for the error message that they failed).

Jan

• Upvote 3

I don´t know if this was asked before or even answered and since we´re talking about the CDU.

Is there a plan (maybe after 1.0) to be able to use the CDU via iPad?

Grüße aus Hannover :) btw

Nothing is off the table. This is one of those things we wait for community feedback on after initial release.