Minor problem with hearing ATIS and NAV IDs

felix28

Been wanting to buy the excellent SAAB 340 a long time and finally picked it up when it was on sale last weekend :-) I live in the town where they were made, ESSL/Linköping, so that makes it extra special :-)

Haven't had time to play with it much yet but I noticed one problem when trying to hear ATIS or NAV ID signals. It seems I must have "Operations & Warnings - start each flight cold and dark" unchecked before loading the plane or else I won't hear any ATIS or NAV IDs.

I have X-Plane on steam v10.42 64bit and SAAB 340 script version 1.3. Removed all plugins except Gizmo. Minimal startup: - L BAT/ON, ESS AVION/ON, Freq. on COM1, Volume COM1 up on left side panel. If the "cold&dark" box was checked I don't hear ATIS/see text ATIS or hear NAV ID's. Airport doesn't seem to matter and all other sounds work fine. Also in other aircraft I haven't had this happening.

Can still use the plane :-) so a minor annoyance after I figured out how to fix it, but it is easy to forget to uncheck the "cold&dark" box and reload before continuing to start up the plane, especially since the script resets that checkbox every time.

Mainly wondering if it is only me having this problem or if there is something wrong with my installation.

Been wanting to buy the excellent SAAB 340 a long time and finally picked it up when it was on sale last weekend :-) I live in the town where they were made, ESSL/Linköping, so that makes it extra special :-)

Haven't had time to play with it much yet but I noticed one problem when trying to hear ATIS or NAV ID signals. It seems I must have "Operations & Warnings - start each flight cold and dark" unchecked before loading the plane or else I won't hear any ATIS or NAV IDs.

I have X-Plane on steam v10.42 64bit and SAAB 340 script version 1.3. Removed all plugins except Gizmo. Minimal startup: - L BAT/ON, ESS AVION/ON, Freq. on COM1, Volume COM1 up on left side panel. If the "cold&dark" box was checked I don't hear ATIS/see text ATIS or hear NAV ID's. Airport doesn't seem to matter and all other sounds work fine. Also in other aircraft I haven't had this happening.

Can still use the plane :-) so a minor annoyance after I figured out how to fix it, but it is easy to forget to uncheck the "cold&dark" box and reload before continuing to start up the plane, especially since the script resets that checkbox every time.

Mainly wondering if it is only me having this problem or if there is something wrong with my installation.

Problem is when you start cold& dark you must activate the audio speakers to hear the comms or radios. You have to perform the cockpit preparation by yourself. Also you should set all electricity up

go to your captain's left hand side panel (below the left side window) and crank up the comm/nav audio sliders

hope this helps.

edit: if you have external hardware like saitek be sure your master +avionics is on

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for your answer. When it works ok I get the ATIS and text ATIS when I turn up the COM1 volume. I only have saitek rudder pedals, no panels.

But I noticed another thing, turning on the Garmin GPS (after loading the plane with "cold&dark" checked), after I press the enter key at  the "OK" prompt the display is just blank, normally the map should come up on the display of course. It is as if the script doesn't load the navigational database, that would explain not being able to hear ATIS/NAV or see distance to NAV too.

Not sure what to try other than a reinstall. Will report later how it goes. Made the first flight today, looking forward to more :-)

But I noticed another thing, turning on the Garmin GPS (after loading the plane with "cold&dark" checked), after I press the enter key at  the "OK" prompt the display is just blank, normally the map should come up on the display of course. It is as if the script doesn't load the navigational database, that would explain not being able to hear ATIS/NAV or see distance to NAV too.

Not sure what to try other than a reinstall. Will report later how it goes. Made the first flight today, looking forward to more :-)

Not sure what is going on here, but this should not be happening. Please try the following steps.

Turn on Ground Power via 2D pop up

Remove all other objects in said pop up

Confirm "GPU is available" annunciator is on

Turn on GRD PWR switch on Overhead

Turn on ALL avionics switches

Turn on Garmin

Wait for Garmin to load

When OK is flashing, Press ENT

Map should immediately show.

Edited by Goran_M

Not sure what is going on here, but this should not be happening. Please try the following steps.

Turn on Ground Power via 2D pop up

Remove all other objects in said pop up

Confirm "GPU is available" annunciator is on

Turn on GRD PWR switch on Overhead

Turn on ALL avionics switches

Turn on Garmin

Wait for Garmin to load

When OK is flashing, Press ENT

Map should immediately show.

I did all those steps immediately after starting x-plane ("cold&dark" checked), and the Garmin display was just blank.

Unchecked the "cold&dark" box and reloaded the plane and did the steps again, and then the map appeared immediately. 

Haven't tried to reinstall yet but did enjoy a VOR to VOR flight today from LIRF to LIBD :-) so everything works, just have to reload the plane one time.

If it happens again, copy the Log.txt file out of your X Plane root folder (immediately after trying to turn on the Garmin) here in these forums.

I went through the above steps myself, and everything worked fine.

Should you choose to, instead of copying the Log.txt file, try a re-install and see if that fixes the problem.

• 3 years later...