controller settings

sparkie66

We have put alot of effort and research into getting the feel and controls of the aircraft right.  Pitchrates, rollrates, inertia, beta angles, induced roll, short and long term

oscillations etc. are all very close to the real aircraft.  Or to put in simpler words, when using our recommended joystick settings you will find that this aircraft is capable

of some very precise manual flying like the real aircraft, like manual instrument CAT approaches, crosswind landings etc.  Basically it feels and handles VERY close to the real aircraft and we are very proud of it.  This is where you now finally really will see how X-Plane shines over the other platforms.

So it is our strong advice to stick to our recommended settings!

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Well I did not wan´t to start a new post as it´s related to controls..

I wonder if the hardware controls are forced to be ignored ? like data ref: "override_joystick_roll" When the autopilot is in use, when ever you can calibrate the hardware inside or outside of x-plane..

Anyway unrealistic that the hardware have a effect on the autopilot. I did a fix for for current planes I have by a lua file, but it is always better when build in to the autopilot, as it has to turn the controls back at the right time.

Well the CWS mode is no problem as it is CMD that should cut the input from the hardware. Just like the default autopilot of X-plane it has a 3 way switch for autopilot. (OFF = 0) - (FD = 1) - (AP =2) so my basic code:

Code Removed due to answer from Jan

As you can see when the value is below 2, the controls are active again in case of default x-plane, if Flight director is ON or OFF. That´s based on the default x-plane engine, but I guess could be coded as you like in to any plane, by the default or custom values for given things.

Yes you have a problem by the yoke, even you use the hardware yoke, it might give inputs to the simulator but is ignored by the codes above. As far as I know, X-plane does not have a code or any way to get over this problem, and why we have not seen it corrected, as it would be quite a job(reason follow below). Yes I have been in contact with Laminar a few years back about some things and was told they would look into it but never sen a correction or way to get it better.

The only way I guess we might get the hardware yoke to force the autopilot to switch from CMD to CWS mode, is by custom coded controls and that´s a hell of a work, but gives you the freedom to program as you like.. But I don´t know the development of that side and if there might be other options, or it is programed so it´s not a problem. This plane seems to use many custom values to get around the problems of X-plane, just like they have done in FSX for years, yes also x-plane but you still find many planes that uses far more default stuff, then custom for given importand areas..

But if there is no other option, I rather se it a bit unrealistic and have to use my hand only to switch from CMD to CWS as I still can do that manual by the way... or if the AP is turned OFF by a button on the yoke or the AP it self the controls are unlocked. So if we can´t get around that force reading of the hardware yoke, I think it is a bit better than having a hardware device that fight against the autopilot all the time.. Because that is the fact of X-plane and it would be best if Laminar fixed it but as said it does not seem like it, so there is only 2 options left.. Do it yourself or let it be that strange way.. and that´s why I asked in the first place..

Sorry that was a long one, even longer then I expected. :-)  

Edited by KAPTEJNLN

Don't forget, the 737 has a CWS mode for pitch and roll. If you exceed a certain amount of force with the autopilot in CMD (and an active green mode), it will revert to CWS for either roll or pitch.

Regards

YD

Absolutely correct. And this override is simulated with our 737. No effect on AP until you pass the control-deflection threshhold, then the AP reverts to CWS mode (in the axis that was moved), together with the flashing yellow AP P/RST warning light. Thereafter yoke deflection will affect the CWS target value (i.e. fly the plane with an attitude-hold mode).

Jan

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will you have any custom controls (e.g. yoke-mounted A/P disconnect button) which will need to be set up? If so, will you have an easy way of doing this from within your plugin?

The reason I ask is that of all my X-Plane add-ons, I have only one (XSquawkbox, of all things) that has its custom control (push to talk button) assigned via the plugin menu. The airliners all seem to require me to hack around in X-Plane's dreadful control assignment system, hunting down the plugin and finding the custom command to assign to my yoke button. Even worse, every time I add or remove a plugin, or switch aircraft, it seems to lose the assignment so I keep having to do it over and over again.

Will you have any custom controls (e.g. yoke-mounted A/P disconnect button) which will need to be set up? If so, will you have an easy way of doing this from within your plugin?

The reason I ask is that of all my X-Plane add-ons, I have only one (XSquawkbox, of all things) that has its custom control (push to talk button) assigned via the plugin menu. The airliners all seem to require me to hack around in X-Plane's dreadful control assignment system, hunting down the plugin and finding the custom command to assign to my yoke button. Even worse, every time I add or remove a plugin, or switch aircraft, it seems to lose the assignment so I keep having to do it over and over again.

Not sure if this answers your question, but our philosophy has been to 'hijack' X-Plane's native commands wherever there is a suitable one. E.g. if you have a joystick button assigned to the default 'TOGA' command, then that will also engage TOGA mode of the IXEG 737.

For commands that don't have a suitable default counterpart, you will need to assign them using the X-plane Joystick & Equipment menu.

• Upvote 1