IXEG 737 Progress Update - December 1st

tkyler

On 3/8/2016 at 3:53 PM, tkyler said:

I confess, I took a week off and went to Germany and Zurich for some R&R.   Pressing CDU buttons 1000 times a day got quite old.  I am back though and we are moving through the bugs we find reasonably well.  We made good strides yesterday and today I am flying several missed approaches to test CDU entries during that phase when you want to refly the approach.  Yesterday we tested short routes....like 25NM short with high cruise altitudes where you can't make the cruise alt but still have to transition the aircraft from climb to descent at some "intersection point" between climb and descent paths.  So these really fringe situations must be explored as they can be entered and can crash the simulation if not accounted for.  So we only have a few things left, but they take quite some time to test properly as we are all finding out.  Its common to fly a 25 minute flight, discover a bug, fix the bug (sometimes a simple typo, other times not) and then fly the route another 25 minutes to verify and then try a similar route somewhere else just to make sure.....so 1.5hrs of time lost to a typo. (actually happened....had a dash instead of an underscore for a variable name).   And if the bug is more severe...then it can take half a day or more to track it down due to having to monitor so many variables during a flight.  Oh well, we keep going.

-tkyler

I definitely feel for you! Working on writing wrappers for making my C++ lib accessible in Python recently. You simply cannot deny the usefulness of a compiler when it comes to typos ;) You may consider switching from Lua to C++?! :lol: Just kidding, enjoy killing those bugs!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Hey, if I can get the FO seat, I am in : D

Where were you a couple of weeks ago??  I had a really hard time convincing the team putting me in there was a bad idea.  Fortunately my camera all of a sudden stopped working *cough* :rolleyes: ....

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, BaBene said:

You may consider switching from Lua to C++?! :lol: Just kidding, enjoy killing those bugs!

Yea, we tried that already in the early days of development. Restarting XP every time you do a tiny change to see if it works is a great time saver..... :P

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 3