IXEG 737 Progress Update - December 1st

tkyler

PFPX isn't a certain simulator specific tool, it's a generic flight planner. It doesn't seem to support .fpl format for now, as discussed earlier somewhere if I recall correctly. I guess now the remaining option would be contacting PFPX devs  to ask them for an option for .fpl, shouldn't be too difficult. This format works for several addons so it would be pretty useful on many levels.  

5 hours ago, tkyler said:

Added support for   *.fpl format (as opposed to flp), which is my favorite format, very short and clean

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/955680/fplSupport_opt.mp4

Hello.

Will it support route with this format ? Was thinking of the RENKI/N0477F350 waypoints etc.

EDDM ANKER Y104 MAMOR UL132 AGNAV L132 KILNU UL132 RENKI/N0477F350 UL132 BODLA L132 DEMUR N746 TESPO/N0473F360 M607 ARMOD/N0475F350 Z228 NILUG ESSA

9 minutes ago, heinz92 said:

PFPX isn't a certain simulator specific tool, it's a generic flight planner. It doesn't seem to support .fpl format for now, as discussed earlier somewhere if I recall correctly. I guess now the remaining option would be contacting PFPX devs  to ask them for an option for .fpl, shouldn't be too difficult. This format works for several addons so it would be pretty useful on many levels.  

The PFPX development has been really dead for some time now. But I think they are working on a update to fix the random crashes PFPX have.

So we should make a request for new export:
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/73501-send-your-templates-aircraft-profiles/

1 hour ago, Tom Stian Bjerk said:

Will it support route with this format ? Was thinking of the RENKI/N0477F350 waypoints etc.

It will not at the onset.  I have not yet programmed in support for manual waypoints of that format...PBD, LL, etc.  I don't think it will be difficult to do so, but I'm not on that task at the moment, plenty in front of it.  Once I do get that put in though, I would suspect that adding support for that type of point should be doable.

And as far as PFPX goes, I think it supports *.flp format (not *.fpl)...which is a format we do read in.  In fact, I think someone asked the question of supporting PFPX some time ago that caused us to want to import multiple file formats.   

There is no format that we could not probably write a importer for; however, some formats are just too verbose for us to want to even try.....and many formats encode the waypoint data within the file itself whereas we rely on just the names, that is 'what you would type into the CDU'.  You give us names, we pull the data from our database and build the route, etc. The ideal format is *.fpl IMO.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 3

On 24.2.2016 at 8:45 PM, heinz92 said:

You can copy the route in .fpl format from PFPX in the route editor window (lower left part). Just omit SID and STAR to get a generic route. But I agree it would be nicer if such a file could be exported directly, without resorting to a workaround.

Depends on which 737, the winglets were a bit different for a few of the models.  ...and it also depends a bit on the angle of the view as to how they look, I can say unequivocally though that I'm done debating it (did that enough with my team members) or willing to change it ;).  

-tkyler

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, daemotron said:

Oh, good to know. I always thought the paint-stripe on the spinner was some PAPI equivalent for birds, so they can properly aim at the fan...

It seems to work that way, sometimes. ;) The whole "bird scaring" thing is a bit of a mystery - some people believe that they can sense the radioenergy of the weather radar, and one Italian airport even asked pilots officially (LIPE, iirc) to use the wxr radar even in good weather to test the theory.

Jan

• Upvote 4

My guess is that there are more evident parts of an aircraft that attract a bird's undevided attention a bit more than that beautifully decorative spinner whirl.
I would consider a taxi or landing light and the aircraft noise quite annoying. But hey, it turns out I'm not a bird. So what do I know.

This is what Rolls Royce said about the whirls:

Our aerospace engines have swirls painted onto their spinners in order to indicate when the engine is rotating while on the ground. In flight these swirls flicker as the engine rotates at high speed, scaring birds and allowing them to fly clear of the engine.

I think their main reason is for ground crews to see easily if an engine is running. On a related note: props have the stripes on the tips to make them more visible while spinning.

Edited by LPNils
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, LPNils said:

My guess is that there are more evident parts of an aircraft that attract a bird's undevided attention a bit more than that beautifully decorative spinner whirl.
I would consider a taxi or landing light and the aircraft noise quite annoying. But hey, it turns out I'm not a bird. So what do I know.

This is what Rolls Royce said about the whirls:

I think their main reason is for ground crews to see easily if an engine is running. On a related note: props have the stripes on the tips to make them more visible while spinning.

Most of the time, ground personnel are wearing noise-cancelling headsets, and it is hard visually determine whether the engines are running or not. The spinners patterns are used to make sure ground personnel stay away from running engine. I don't know about the theory of scaring birds, can they actually focus on the small engine spinners instead of the huge airplane?

• Upvote 1